Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-05-2012, 19:25   #1

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch
I'm too old not to buy my last boat first.

Just looking for ways around the idea that "You never buy your last boat first". In this market, I pitty those that don't.

So... how????

Get a Gemini? I think that's my quasy answer. Start off in El Caribe.

Other ideas?

“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 19:47   #2

Boat: FP, Helia 44 Evo
Re: I'm too old not to buy my last boat first.

A Gemini would be lots of fun along with the 1,200 other happy Gemini owners.

Old 09-05-2012, 19:55   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.gregory
Just looking for ways around the idea that "You never buy your last boat first". In this market, I pitty those that don't.

So... how????

Other ideas?
Here is my 2 cents for going quick...

- set a realistic cruising grounds. Variety of sailing areas. Ability to get to civilization for replenishments, banking and medical needs
- low cost environment is preferable for fixed incomes
- low (relative) regulatory environment
- good weather most of the time. Most of us wanna be in the tropics
- long ocean passages add a sense of accomplishment but drive equipment (cost) decisions that are often not necessary for short passage making. i.e. radar, sat phones, SSB, AIS all become superfluous to VHF and cell phone.

South East Asia and Oceana does it for me. You can cruise 20 years in the parts and not run out of places to see and explore. Many, many, many free anchorages. In most cases anchorages adjacent to Marinas that dont care if you "borrow" wifi and park your dinghy at the dock as long as you buy a meal in the restaurant now and then.

I meet lots of cruisers that seem to be on a race around the world. I get the sense of accomplishment but most blow through these parts and don't see anything much except a few marinas as they hit Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand on a one month race to get to the Indian ocean and then deal with the stress of piracy off Somalia.

One can "move" to Thailand, find accommodations for around $20 a day and spend 6 months looking for the right boat. There are plenty for sale. Some are step aboard and most have already sailed here from other parts so are "proven" cruisers. Any work needed can be farmed out to lost cost workers along with owner assist in most yards,

Not the right plan for the "circumnavigator" on a mission but I think a really short path to getting there now.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 23:48   #4

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

I bought our 02 Gemini 105Mc in San Diago a couple years ago and we love it. My wife was a oe design racer sailer sence the 50's and I started on a hobbie cat in the 60's. We like having room for family and grand kids or guests. It sails great and loves the Cal coast. Best bang for the buck
Old 08-06-2012, 15:36   #5

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post

- set a realistic cruising grounds. Variety of sailing areas. Ability to get to civilization for replenishments, banking and medical needs
- long ocean passages add a sense of accomplishment but drive equipment (cost) decisions that are often not necessary for short passage making. i.e. radar, sat phones, SSB, AIS all become superfluous to VHF and cell phone.

South East Asia and Oceana does it for me. You can cruise 20 years in the parts and not run out of places to see and explore. Many, many, many free anchorages. In most cases anchorages adjacent to Marinas that dont care if you "borrow" wifi and park your dinghy at the dock as long as you buy a meal in the restaurant now and then.

I meet lots of cruisers that seem to be on a race around the world. I get the sense of accomplishment but most blow through these parts and don't see anything much except a few marinas as they hit Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand on a one month race to get to the Indian ocean and then deal with the stress of piracy off Somalia.

One can "move" to Thailand, find accommodations for around $20 a day and spend 6 months looking for the right boat. There are plenty for sale. Some are step aboard and most have already sailed here from other parts so are "proven" cruisers. Any work needed can be farmed out to lost cost workers along with owner assist in most yards,

Not the right plan for the "circumnavigator" on a mission but I think a really short path to getting there now.
Wish I could get my boat there. Might just do it next year. I need to get to Hawaii first

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 17:02   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post

Couldn't agree more. I am surprised that I don't hear more people buying boats in this area and using them as a second home while cruising then fly back home to Europe or North America. A lot more to see and do here, and like you say many proven boats for sail. From Aus to Thailand and all in between there are great deals on boats.
Old 08-06-2012, 18:18   #7

I love the idea! I have to say that I've heard some less positive stories about buying a boat in that part of the world. Mainly, there arn't a lot of Cats or Tris to be bought and one or the other is what I'll be looking for. Is this not correct? Again, I love the idea!
“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
Old 08-06-2012, 18:26   #8

Think there's lots. I was thinking of checking this one out. Pretty much my ideal cat. Lee Marine - 2008 . Schionning Wilderness 1480 - 595000 USD
It's been for sale for a while so probably could get a deal on it. Looks immaculate and setup perfectly. Depends on what you are looking for but think Thailand, Vanuatu and other sailing destinations have a lot floating around their marinas. I was looking also at a 55 Outremer in mint condition in Vanuatu for about $500,000
Old 08-06-2012, 19:30   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.gregory
I love the idea! I have to say that I've heard some less positive stories about buying a boat in that part of the world. Mainly, there arn't a lot of Cats or Tris to be bought and one or the other is what I'll be looking for. Is this not correct? Again, I love the idea!
Like the rest of the world, there are fewer cats for sale than monos. This is simply a volume thing. The charter compnaies, sunsail in Thailand for example, are now stocking cats. It is a matter of time before a few of these come on the market every 5 years or so. Definitely not as target rich as SE USA at present or even the med.

But there are plenty of monohullls. I haven't done any sort of real cost analysis to say whether the prices are cheaper or not compared to the US but based on supply and demand, and the fact that most Asian economies are doing better, relatively, than the US, I am gonna guess higher.

The deals can be really had on the cruisers, for whatever reason, who reach Asia and decide they are done, or don't want to deal with the next leg through Somalia.

Going back to one of the earlier points. If one is camped out on land trying to find thenperfect boat and that search is expected to take 6 months to a year, I can pretty safely say, camping out in Thailand while searching for the boat locally can be a lot cheaper than camping out in Florida or SoCal. Then when you find the boat getting it worked on is way cheaper. Of course local workers need to be closely supervised for the most part.
Old 08-06-2012, 19:30   #10

Mike, love the boat, but it would have to be a hell of a deal! Too big, and too much money for me. I thank you for the link. I will keep my eye on it.

I'm low $200K, hopefully lower still.
Old 08-06-2012, 21:29   #11

There is a Mahe evolution for sale in Singapore maybe still? It's listed at $320 k on yachtworld but I've seen it listed elsewhere for $250 k but I think offering another $50 or so off that price might be worth a shot. Looks like it's well loaded too.
Old 08-06-2012, 23:22   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminalcitygrl
There is a Mahe evolution for sale in Singapore maybe still? It's listed at $320 k on yachtworld but I've seen it listed elsewhere for $250 k but I think offering another $50 or so off that price might be worth a shot. Looks like it's well loaded too.
I just googled it. It's listed in a lot of places. Looks like the lowest asking is down to $299k...

http://www.theyachtmarket.com/boats/...-36-evolution/
Old 08-06-2012, 23:31   #13

Fountaine Pajot sailboats for sale by owner.

Last listing - I think its the same boat?
Old 14-06-2012, 10:38   #14

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.gregory View Post

So... how????

Other ideas?
Here's how I'm starting off, right or wrong.

After viewing a number of models, mono and multihulls, I realized my priorities in order:

1) Livability
2) Sailability
3) Quality

It seems that livability is where the cost comes in heavily, so I'm settled into the fact that I'm going to need a Lagoon, 40+ (also will be looking at some Leopards next weekend). I've read a lot about Lagoon's quality problems, and I'm not concerned about it. I'm not excited about the sailability compared to some other boats, but it's "good enough".

If you have an income - any income - and you truly want this to be your "last boat", you need to buy the boat that meets your priorities and find a way to make the cost side work.

However, you should also consider that your needs may change over time. In my life, I've owned many campers for example - every one of them was the best possible camper for my needs at that time, and every one was completely different than the last. Can you establish a timeline, or likely timeline, looking forward of what you think your needs will be at different times?
Old 14-06-2012, 10:49   #15
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif

That is some of the best honest advice I have seen. And not "popular" advice, but hard facts. Seriously consider south Asia as both an area for cruising and a place to buy a boat. There are ridiculous deals to be found in places like Langkawi and you could cruise for years on the west coast of the Thai peninsula and years more on the east, including going up to the china sea. Think; Malaysia, Thailand, Borneo, Vietnam, Singapore, Sumatra, andaman islands, and let me emphasise Thailand and phong na bay especially.....

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: