Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 08:15   #61

Search under "Fountaine Pajot" on yacht world... there are a number older of 38' Athenas and Maldives from about $100K - $130K. And that's asking price. No idea if these cats even interest you, but could be a good deal for a nice size boat in your budget. Good luck in your search... it definetely appears to be a buyer's market

FP search results:
Fountaine Pajot Boats For Sale
cbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 20:49   #62

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
The cheapest actual selling price for an Athena that I've found is about $130K USD which seems to be the current market rate for one of these cats.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 23:17   #63

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
I like the oldest FP's and the oldest Lagoons. I don't like the newest models, all I see are charter layouts with 18 cabins, 20 heads and no galley storage. Why do they need 4 heads on a 36 footer? I don't like people [I]that[I] much but I love to eat. We need a long term home rather than a weekly drinking platform.
I'd much rather see a vice than another skinny "double" bunk.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 23:21   #64

i have just returned from the philippines where hull and decks in ply can be constructed for less than $12000 for a 27 metre cat,,my problem is i dont know how to instruct builder to step the mast as i have only monohull experience,
can anyone asvise me where to find?i dont want to step on top of cabin..but work out a way to step on cabin floor with supports
bruce
hux9800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:38   #65

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
My bro had a Snowgoose from new. Sailed the Seychelles, down to Mauritius, raced to Durban in their annual 'Fastnet' race. Second in waterline length class, only because the prevailing wind was supposed to veer a little. It didn't. Close hauled ALL the way and beat most of the field. He liked it so much he started building them under licence out there.
Form his stories I bought mine last year. Complete beginner. No lessons, just read a lot. It's looked after me well, and all my guests. Never a bit too much lean to scare them, sailing is a delight, no noise, no wobbling about (up to thirty knots then she starts to hop about a bit) and still room to sleep 8. Three permanent 4ft double berths, a big saloon marina double 6 ft x 6ft3". And it's only 31ft. OK, the cockpit is a bit small, four is the max for tacking in tight waters, and about right for week ending. There are good sound examples around at 25k sterling. That leaves money for new electronics, engine and drive servicing, liferaft and dinghy, sails, standing rigging. Mine were mainly sound, electronics and some bodge wiring were the main issue. Basically on your budget all the things that need fixing are covered leaving you with a boat that will look after you and your investemnt, and ready and eager for a long long cruise. Six old solar panels give me all the electrical power I need. A wind genny would cover long dark nights on autohelm without ever running the engine. Fridge, air heater cane with it. Water heaters are easy to add, see other threads.
I promise you the right place for the mast is on top of the rear bulkhead. No need to go forward in rough weather once you've stripped down the genoa and staysail and put the storm stay up. Not a place to go anyway, it's so nice not to have to wear life vests and harness 24hrs a day, especially when it's hot.
Do take care with the drag effect of windscreens and hoods. They seriously damage performance. A small screen for the helmsman maybe, and short sidescreens for the cockpit will stop the chill factor spoiling a nice day out.
View Multihull World or just search Catamarans and go and see several. Each design has special points. For cruising a decent Prout is as close perfect as you can get on a limited budget.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:09   #66
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by hux9800 View Post
...i dont know how to instruct builder to step the mast as i have only monohull experience,
can anyone asvise me where to find?i dont want to step on top of cabin..but work out a way to step on cabin floor with supports
bruce
Typically cabin top stepping over the forward bulkhead (rear bulkhead for Prout) is the way it's done, to have the wide open salon people expect in a cruising cat.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:15   #67

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
As I've mentioned on previous threads the last BB company offered both fore and aft mast set-ups. The additional strength needed for the fore mast arrangement added weight and coast and provided a more pleasing aspect to ex-mono sailors. There were no performance differences noticeable. I would recommend you try a day sail with the rear mast set-up to see it's advantages. The structural aspects of the shrouds coming down to the strong bulkhead are significant as Cats are designed to flex when supported on two diagonal corners. This is harder to arrange with the forward bulkhead being stiffer.
For the budget you have it would be possible to change the long aspect keel to a dagger board system but there are internal space issues with that.
The old Prouts are not likely to suffer Osmosis, and are a known deal for insurance companies. Others are good too, I'm just a bit biased.