Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 09:09   #1

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
I'm NEW!

Just wanted to drop in and say hi... I have been enjoying being a lurker here for quite sometime, and figured it was time to join. My husband and I are just beginning this journey.. so I will have tons of questions. I apologize in advance for bombarding everyone..

As I've said.. I am a beginner.. (is there a stage BEFORE beginner??) We have just recently made the decision to plan for our retirement on a catamaran. I'm 46 and my husband is 52... our goal isto retire in 6 years. We have no sailing experience.. and haven't even been on a catamaran.. I know.. I'm one of THOSE people...(hey.. everyone's got to start somewhere!) let me prove to you that I will be around for a while.

We have taken some steps forward... We have been reading TONS and have begun working through the ASA course books. We have also begun to network with others who have sailing experience, and similar dreams. We booked our trip to Miami for the boat show.. we will spend 4 days there... We have scheduled our first charter with a friend who has his captain's license, so we will get a week long crew experience in the BVI this spring, and then we will head to Fort Lauderdale, where we are taking a week long course with water sailing">Blue Water Sailing. We will take the the A+ cat course... (we will get certified in 101, 103, 104 and 114... ) We have also joined a local yacht club where we can rent sailboats, and network. And, most importantly, we have met with a financial advisor and formulated a plan to "get there"! So.. we have a good start!

The thing I am most looking forward to with this lifestyle is the journey in getting there... spending quality time with my husband.. and joining the community of like minded people.. My fears are basically cost and maintainance..

Anyway... I can't wait to get to know you! I'll be posting questions shortly.
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:17   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: I'm NEW!

Hi... Welcome to CF..
As to your fears... everything needs maintenance.. and everything costs.. even financial advisors..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:30   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: I'm NEW!

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Scarlet.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:42   #4

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

Welcome aboard Scarlet to you and yours. As you say you have "lurked around" and now you'll enjoy it. This is a great group to seek advise with.

enjoy your Journey....remember to keep Smilin....

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:55   #5
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

Welcome aboard. I am excited for you. You seem to have a great plan to get where you want to be. Happy sailing.

Your greatest fears, cost and maintenance? Well, maintenance is half the fun but if you are not handy and you don't like spending time fixing, splicing and stripping, then it will cost you. But those cost are rather predictable so you can budget for them.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:24   #6

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Welcome aboard!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:30   #7

Boat: bavaria, 49 ft. sailboat

We basically have the same plan only in less than three years now. Waiting to take sailing courses until we know if we will be on a cat or mono. Have fun with the journey.
In Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:46   #8

"In Training".. have you been out on both? I'm just wondering what you thought of each... We will have experience on both as we will learn on both... I love the classical lines and history with the monohulls.. and they seem like a more "active" sailing experience, which I think would be more fun. I even love the interiors... But, I worry about living aboard them long term... not sure I could stand always walking at an angle...

The reason I like the multihulls, are the same as everyone elses... the stability in the water... and the increased interior space, which makes them a great choice for live-aboards... but they are BIG boats.. and I suspect a bit more difficult to handle for a crew of 2....
Old 11-12-2013, 11:03   #9

Only on motor boats, for diving. Husband used to sail when younger though on lake boats. We both grew up on lakes and now live on large river. Keeping river kayaks and will just have to be careful where and when around which islands we use them. Did see though that some of the island rental places had kayaks that were not ocean type and in Alaska the ones we used were similar to what we have so we should be ok there.

We just figure that we will be set for 2-3 weeks every time between moving so living space is more important than sailing capability. Sail for 4-15 hours, live on for 2-3 weeks. During the hurricane season will be at Grenada area or Bonaire and pretty much just living there and not sailing much at all for 4-5 months.

The decision will probably come down to money. Husband is pretty set on a catamaran. Don't think we will have over $200,000 to spend on the boat itself so maybe a 380 Lagoon or something about that size. Just will depend on what is available when we plan to buy, and it has to be a boat not too difficult to get on and off. The catamarans seem to be better for that at anchor.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:20   #10

Was just thinking -- this is will be a retirement that a lot of people dream of but never pull off for whatever reason. The islands, the diving, snorkeling, fishing, hiking and whatever other adventures - people you meet -- all are the same regardless of what boat you are on.

(Husband will have to deal with maintenance issues, so I can just enjoy the positive things, with ear plugs to drown out his occasional expletive deletive as he drops tools in the water). We'll just get the best boat we can for the money at the time we are looking and I am sure will be very happy on whatever it is.
When we are out there we are always going to see boats that we are glad we are not on and many more that we wish we could have gotten - it has to be better than working in an office all the time.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:28   #11

IT... I also worry about the "getting on and off" part. I'm only 4' 13".. I've asked my husband if we could spring for a "plank" so I can just walk across... my big fear is that I'm going to step on with my left, and my right foot will stay on the dock.. and I'm be dangling there in the chinese splits!!! I'm sure both of us will figure it out.

As for the maintainance... Scott and I do things together, I'm usually the planner/figure out-er.. and he is the do-er.. so... I really do want to learn as much as I can so I can tell him what he is doing wrong..
Old 11-12-2013, 11:52   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
We will take the the A+ cat course... (we will get certified in 101, 103, 104 and 114... )
Welcome aboard Scarlet. You left out the two most important courses which are ASA 105 & 106. Coastal Navigation and Advanced Coastal cruising. Try and do a week live aboard and take a series of these at once. i.e 101-104 ect. Doing them individually is a waste of time and a big waste of money. Practical experience is what you and your husband need. You can really progress through the learning curve by hands on. There are plenty of operators offering this live aboard option with certification.
Sailing Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:53   #13

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
IT... I also worry about the "getting on and off" part. I'm only 4' 13".. ..
Huh......5'1"
Sailing Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:04   #14

Sailing cowboy... it was an attempt at a joke... I'm really short..
Old 11-12-2013, 12:08   #15

The advanced coastal cruising and navigation course will be taken at a later date...I agree.. we will try to do those courses as a live-aboard as well.