Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2013, 13:39   #16

Re: I'm a tiller guy, not a wheel guy. With a tiller, I felt I always had complete...

The OP is not describing a loss of steering. Rather that the steering ratio is too slow.

Simply pressurising the system won't affect the pump:cylinder displacement ratio.

Bleeding the system might be a good idea though. Air in the system can certainly affect the steering response.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 14:14   #17

Boat: Lavranos 40
Re: I'm a tiller guy, not a wheel guy. With a tiller, I felt I always had complete...

pardon my french then.
romanos2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 20:09   #18

Boat: Hughes/Perry custom CF 63' tri; Hughes 46 custom tri, Hobie 20 Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
62' trimaran, right?

Just how difficult would it be to convert to a tiller? Have you looked into that? I wish I could do that with the cat, and I guess I could, but I've got two blades to deal with...
I've thought about it. Maybe expensive, but I'll look into it a bit more. Thx. Re the other knowledgeable posters, I'm thinking two turns lock to lock might work the best. Thx for the ideas so far, and keep 'em coming...
Pipeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 01:34   #19

There are automobile steering systems that change steering ratio as you steer more, and also as you change speed. The ones I have looked at use sort of a variable pitch on the drive side, and speed variable ones use augmentation that varies with speed, but the need for a mechanical fallback limits what can be done. Maybe you want a steer by wire system, one where there is only an electrical connection between rudder and wheel. Then you could have a wheel, tiller or joystick, and you could make the ratios do whatever you wanted.

New airplanes are pretty much fly by wire. There is no fallback cable or hydraulic system at all. But airplanes are maintained regularly.
Brasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 03:04   #20

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

A big heavy 62 foot mono I sail on has about 2 turns lock to lock and is fingertip sailing. She has a big wheel and a nicely balanced rudder. It is a pleasure to steer her in any conditions. Its a cable system but I am sure you could improve on what you have.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 27-04-2016, 03:40   #21

Boat: 44 footer

Teleflex makes adjustable displacement pumps...

Best bet is to call Teleflex "Canada" and run down your question with those guys, as you should be able to figure out the system that you have, and what pressures would be with what you want.

They are good to work with... The gist is, the larger the pump volume for the same given ram displacement the fewer turns of the wheel. You can go up on pump volume, and larger wheel diameter to achieve the same load at your hands... Up to a point. If you have room for a larger wheel, and still being comfortable standing height you may be in luck to keep the wheel pressure down, while reducing the number of turns.

Also... If you are using a conventional pedestal mount with a chain driving the hydraulic pump, you might call edison and see if they have larger drive sprockets available for either the pump, or steering pedestal.

Cheers,

Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 04:39   #22
cruiser

If you really want to throw money at it, you won't regret going to a Whitlock (now Lewmar) rack-and-pinion system... I believe mine is a Mamba. My example is a cat, but I doubt that matters much. Wheel is lock-to-lock in less than 360 degrees. Simple mechanics. No pumps, no muss, no fuss....
AD28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 04:23   #23
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to Steamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD28 View Post
Simple mechanics. No pumps, no muss, no fuss....
+100
We have the same on our 50 ft cat. No issues, no problems.
Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 04:57   #24

Boat: Victoire 1122

Quote:
If you really want to throw money at it, you won't regret going to a Whitlock (now Lewmar) rack-and-pinion system... I believe mine is a Mamba. My example is a cat, but I doubt that matters much. Wheel is lock-to-lock in less than 360 degrees. Simple mechanics. No pumps, no muss, no fuss....
Do visit Jefa (Jefa Steering Systems) as well then when you are looking.
Their rack and pinion is excellent as well.
aluijten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 05:00   #25

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Yep, get rid of the hydraulics.
I'd rather have cable or rack & pinion etc.
Old 28-04-2016, 08:01   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Guys I think you missed than the OP is sailing a carbon 62' trimaran. I am only guessing,but it should be incredibly fast. At high speeds the turns lock to lock also reduce the magnitude of the stearling input, as the speeds start to climb you don't want the ability to go lock to lock in just one turn, because there is a real chance of over correcting. It may be annoying at the dock, but on a boat creeping up on 30kn, a lot of turns is a safety feature I wouldn't be in a hurry to get rid of.

Now one of the new car systems that modifies the stearing based on speed may be a great idea in theory, but I don't think I would trust them on a boat.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 08:15   #27
cruiser

If Perry is Bob Perry, he is a fixture at Sailing Anarchy, and would be the best to advise you on your boat...

edit: oops, this is a query from 2013!
AD28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 17:59   #28

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
-----
edit: oops, this is a query from 2013!
Lol. Don't you hate it when that happens?
Old 30-04-2016, 08:10   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Lol. Don't you hate it when that happens?
Sorry. This has bitten me several times since I have tried to read and contribute here.

Maybe a warning when you are posting on a thread where the last post was more than a year ago?
Brasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 09:11   #30

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Use a brodie knob.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel