Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2013, 10:23   #1

If You're Going to Dream....

..then don't waste a good dream, dream big!

I haven't found a place for introductions, so shall just post here and see what happens.

My dream is simple. Learn to sail, gather together enough money, buy a catamaran and retire early to sail the seas.

No, I'm not put off by the fact that I don't know much of anything about sailing. I can learn, and will learn next year. Nor am I frightened by the costs, I'm sure I'll find a solution there too, I'm good at finding solutions to challenges.

I have always wanted to see more of the world than I have, and the ocean has always had a strong pull on my heart. So why not put the two together?

I don't have any specific questions, have been reading and watching everything I can find about liveaboards and catamarans, and everything I find only fuels my dream.

You may not see much of me for awhile, as I feel I really need to spend a bit of time on a boat before I properly join in. Besides, I'm sure there'll come a point when you'll ask if I'll ever shut up. LOL

I live in England btw, not too far from Ipswich (have already researched the local sailing schools).

Renee
MoxieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 11:01   #2

Boat: Macgregor 21
Re: If you're going to dream....

I just bought a 21 foot sailboat to do the same thing. Hopefully taking it out for the first time on Sunday. Going to learn to sail and hope to someday move up to something bigger...

someday.
Flamingo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 11:23   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha Renee,

Try the "meets and greets" thread for introductions. It's a drop down from forums.

Hopefully you'll read about other boats than just catamarans and get aboard a few so you can really sort out what would be best for your desires. I always recommend a basic sailing class to get folks new to sailing off on the right foot.

kind regards,
Old 29-11-2013, 12:53   #4

Hi Flamingo, I've learned that sometimes, in order to make someday a reality, it takes more than hope. But it sounds like you are well on your way.

Thanks John, I shall check out the other thread, can't believe I missed it. I'm probably not fully decided on a cat over a monohull, but there are a lot of things I like about them. But you're right, once I get my feet on a few boats and learn a bit more, I'll be in a better place to make a decision.

I think my biggest concern.. (well, 2 really). One is that there is a good chance I'll be going solo, or possibly having my best friend along, but not sure if that is going to be a permanent thing, or just now and again. So I'm always keeping in mind I'll want something I can sail on my own. From what I've read, most things can be sailed solo with the right gear. So that doesn't concern me too much.

The other big concern (although not really) is that I don't like fish. LOL

Renee
Old 29-11-2013, 13:17   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: If you're going to dream....

Hi Renee..
Welcome to CF..
Your thing about sailing solo.. don't sweat it.. with time and experience you should be well capable of going solo...
As for not liking fish...
Welcome to the Club

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 14:27   #6

Thanks Boatman, the reassurance is greatly appreciated.

I'm from Iowa originally. Grew up on pork and potatoes, no fish. LOL
Old 29-11-2013, 14:58   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxieGirl View Post

Many parts of the world require a special permit to catch pigs...

Good luck!

Jim
Old 29-11-2013, 15:33   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Don't worry now who will be joining you in the future. The boat and you as captain will dictate who will be drawn to crewing for you in the future. Just don't go too big too early.

Some fish taste much better than others and I really haven't met anyone who didn't like lobster or shrimp for that matter. Celestialsailor (another forum member) and I caught a Skipjack that neither of us liked that much so I know what you are saying. If it had been a Dorado (Mahi Mahi) we would really have liked it.

kindest regards and best of luck,

John
Old 29-11-2013, 16:04   #9

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

Hi, MoxieGirl,

Good luck! I have sailed from an early age, but only in small boats at first. When I wanted experience on bigger boats, I crewed for friends (and friends of friends) when they needed extra hands for a passage. That gave me the confidence to go cruising in my own boat (2 years through the Caribbean). I didn't have the nerve to go singlehanded, though. Now, 20 years later, I'm planning for another trip in two or three years. We didn't catch one fish the entire 2 year trip last time, and had a great time anyway.

If you want some serious experience in short amount of time (and I think it's pricey, just to warn you), a friend of mine from trade school here in the US has just started a sail training company in Britain. The boat is Rubicon3. He's not going anywhere warm, alas. But I think his crew will learn a lot in a hurry.
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 16:10   #10

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Moxie, it all starts with dream. I was 19, didn't know port from starboard, heck I did t even realize just how sailboats heel! First time the boat heeled I thought we were going down. But after many mishaps and misadventures I got my sea legs and spent many nights offshore staring at the stars, so happy in my choice of escape from the norm, so in love with the sea. 20 years later the pull to be on the water is just as strong, seems once it gets into your system, it never quite leaves you.
Anyways, have fun, enjoy the learning process, and I hope to see you out there.

Erika

PS
You don't have to like eating fish. In fact, the fish will like you the better for it
Old 29-11-2013, 22:14   #11

Boat: Macgregor 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxieGirl View Post

I'm originally from Iowa, too. Still love pork and potatoes (and corn) but have acquired a taste for fish.

Good luck and keep pushing forward.
Flamingo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 22:52   #12

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Heck fish and potatoes is pretty good to !! If yall use a little bacon fat to do both then ya get a real meal !! Cooked by a old pork and potatoes fella it go's down pretty good !!!
Old 29-11-2013, 23:10   #13

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Build your seamanship knowledge by reading/studying and doing a lot of hands-on sailing. Concentrate on coastal sailing, preferably "inter-island" short getaways; the Caribbean would be an ideal training location. Good luck!

Mauritz
Old 30-11-2013, 00:52   #14

Thank you everyone for your positive advice and comments.

Really can't stand lobster or shrimp. I tried lobster once when visiting family in Portland, Maine, so you can be assured it was a good lobster. Have even tried Squid. I'm ok with Cod and Haddock, if it's fresh. I spent a week on Isle de Roatan, off the coast of Honduras many years ago when I learned to scuba dive. I apparently ate fish based meals all week, but they were wonderfully done by a cajun trained chef, and the food was amazing. So, I'm sure I'll be fine.

I don't plan on starting out big, and plan on taking my time. It's not a 'going to buy a boat next year' sort of plan. I'm going to spend this winter reading all I can, learning knots and everything I can on shore. When the weather turns nicer, will get involved with a local sailing school that does weekend and week long training-trips. If I have my own boat in about 8 years, that'll be just fine by me. Sooner would be fine, but also not going to be upset if it's 10 years.

I love that this site has a listing of people looking for crews. Can't wait to take advantage of that. Even if it's not somewhere warm, that will come in time.

Moxie
Old 30-11-2013, 03:59   #15

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

All sounds like a good plan to me. Took about twenty years from being at your stage to it actually happening (child and other things got in the way) but it was worth the wait.

I started by going to the local college that was offering RYA navigation courses. When I got there I discovered that the lecturer ran regular weekend charters so that beginners could get experience. Joined in with them for a couple of years, gradually built up enough experience so that I got a chance to skipper, From then it was on to flotilla holidays with the family, bareboat with family and friends and after 10 years or so, boat a brand new catamaran. Had to then wait another 6 years before we could take off full time in the Caribbean and then circumnavigating.

So, I had a dream rather than a detailed plan and it all worked out wonderfully!

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote