Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

View Poll Results: Which brand Cat would you buy?
Voyage 4 10.81%
Seawind 8 21.62%
Lagoon 12 32.43%
Leopard 13 35.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-2010, 08:59   #31

Boat: Purchasing a 40-44' Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick & LA View Post
Mike, I see you're from Denver - me too... only CO not NC. We're also in the market for a cruising cat - only in the 41-49' range. You failed to specify if you will be chartering (which I assume based on the boats on your poll). Seawind was the only one of your choices which is not a fat-pig charter boat - i like their new 1250 model. Other than that, I suppose the Leoperd is the closest to workable.
If you're gonna chater then re-sell it - then name brand is important ... consider the others.
Nick
I will be concidering Chartering on a part-time or need money bases. Fortunately over the years in the restaurant industry I have quite a good base of prospects (few celebs in NASCAR etc) that would be interested in comming on my boat.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:57   #32

Mike, I doubt you'll find that when cruising. Folks just help each other out. If you need to borrow a 5/16" bit you really don't care what boat a guy drives or if your sitting on a beach enjoying someone's company while sharing a coldie you again won't care what boat they drive.

Good luck in your search, look at lot's of boats and have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvermike66 View Post
They just want to get in their digs! It's ok... I will be passing him someday... and I will make sure to wave as I go "bye-bye"! Ha!

Old 05-05-2010, 13:55   #33

Mike
I've been researching cats since 2006 and I'm waiting for the time when it will be financially practical for me to buy a boat. This forum, as has already been said, has many, many links where you can find out about the various pro's and con's of many different cats. I learnt to sail on mono's and I've only chartered mono's, but I know (and my wife knows) that we will be getting a cat. We know what we want to do (coastal for a while and then maybe a big hop) and after 4 years of research we know the attributes we want to see in our home-to-be. To cut a long story short, I expect to be seriously looking for a second-hand cat in a couple of years and I'll be after a PDQ Antares 44, Manta 42 or any Privilege (all to be subject to a very thorough survey). I'd be happy with any of them, but the Antares is special.
Good luck

PS No boards, an added complication!
Old 05-05-2010, 14:55   #34

Boat: Nordhavn 5740
when we were owner/operators in the charter business we found it pretty much a full time business. it would be nice to hear from folks who were successful getting charters on a "as money is needed basis".
Old 06-05-2010, 22:14   #35

Quote:
Good day all! I am fairly new to Catamarans. I have taken my ASA course on "Kanina" a 2009 45' Prout Hull #1 Owners Verstion. Very nice cat however she was a "Fat Cat"! Too many air conditioners which we never used etc and she liked to pound quite a bit. Spent countless hours looking on-line... stepped on as many as I can... however still haven't pinned a brand down yet. We will be a live aboard and sail around the world and it will just be the two of us. So I am asking for your input and may I thank you up front!
So if you had $400K... which Catamaran would you buy?
Don't hesitate... I am all eyes and ears to any suggestions, just give me a reason why with it!
This is what I have come up with so far on my "Like List":
-Owners Verstion 40' to 44'... however could do with a 38' dispite what my girlfriend thinks...ha!
-Yanmar Engine, prefer 40 hp or more. Told cheaper for parts and availability is worldwide. Volvo's are expensive.
-After hearing about "Head" repairs... two is enough for me!
-Most importantly... safety and seaworthyness for me and my Crew!!!
So far I am leaning to the following:
Voyage
Seawind
Lagoon
Leopard aka R&C
It dosen't have to be the fastest or the most luxurious. Just a happy medium... if there is one!
:Cheers:
Ohhh boy... I'm in trouble now... I'm looking at Catana's! Question is "Do I dagger... or not to dagger?" I'm sure I am going to get some laughs over this one! But I think this may be the happy medium... if I dagger!
Old 06-05-2010, 22:22   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbanker View Post
when we were owner/operators in the charter business we found it pretty much a full time business. it would be nice to hear from folks who were successful getting charters on a "as money is needed basis".
After our last cruise found how some peoples vacation are ruined due to other guests on board. So maybe be exclusive to a couple on board at a time? Also build a following where they want to come see us again... however we will be somewhere different each time. Try and get the best of all the world from our Cat and guests can do the same! Win win... we will see.
Old 07-05-2010, 13:37   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I know they are not listed, but up against the likes of Seawind the new FP Lipari 41 or the Orana 44 are very comfortable and capable cruising cats. In my experience on both types the FP a more capable open ocean cruiser.

Cheers Gordon.
Yea Gordon... you got me looking hard at that one. Finding that a Lagoon is a condo on the water. It's that give n take thing you know.
Old 07-05-2010, 22:21   #38

Boat: Prout 46
I've been very impressed with the Perry 43. Lots of good ideas, and bright and roomy like a Prout. Also bluewater capable. Our friends aboard Tango, a Perry 43, just finished a Pacific crossing today.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:08   #39

I'll second that the Perry 43 is a very seaworthy cat. Saw one at Sanctuary Cove boat show a few years ago and have spoken with a few people about them. It is high quality, like Privilege, but built in lower numbers and the Ozzie dollar rate (for now) makes any that are available out of my range. I'll reassess in a couple of years though.
Old 08-05-2010, 17:48   #40

I have looked hard into each of your suggestions. Very nice boats! Thank You Really!!!
However right now I am putting a Catana at the top of my list. 2nd place is still up in the air. Keep them coming Please!
Cheers because it's 5:00 somewhere!
Old 08-05-2010, 17:52   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Mike, I doubt you'll find that when cruising. Folks just help each other out. If you need to borrow a 5/16" bit you really don't care what boat a guy drives or if your sitting on a beach enjoying someone's company while sharing a coldie you again won't care what boat they drive.

Good luck in your search, look at lot's of boats and have fun.
Just busting your chops! Ever need a hand just give a shout!
Cheers!
Old 08-05-2010, 17:53   #42

Quote:
Yea Gordon... you got me looking hard at that one. Finding that a Lagoon is a condo on the water. It's that give n take thing you know.
Gordon... whats your thought on Catana's?
Old 09-05-2010, 20:30   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon
Catana

The Catana has exceptional performance providing you with a very capable blue water cruising and enabling a high degree of safety for a couple intent on long ocean voyages. The use of centre boards improves performance and enhances safety. ( slipping rather than tipping )
Centralised sheeting -running under the decks to a single power winch located under cover aft in the cockpit providing safety of operation and ease of control.
Twin helm positions for that true sailor feel and great visibility. The actual helms have direct steering connection giving true feel and feedback.
Strength of construction throughout with quality fittings.The obstacle free decks, large open trampoline area and the design of the hulls ( torpedo shape to reduce rocking chair effect in heavy seas ),
The unsinkability due to density of product used in the sandwich construction. Also totally waterproof bulkheads add to the unsinkability keeping any holes or leaks away from living areas.
My wife and I had the opotunity last Sept. to visit the Catana factory and were very impressed withe the detail and care taken in construction. Avery high quality boat and built to last.
I viewed a 2004 built 47 Catana this was a fine example of what a well kept boat should look like, this boat was sold with in 6 days of going on the market here in Australia ( Mooloolaba QLD ). The american family had completed their pacific oddesy and were moving on. They had only praise for the Catana.

Gordon
Old 10-05-2010, 01:26   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onedaysoon View Post
I'll second that the Perry 43 is a very seaworthy cat. Saw one at Sanctuary Cove boat show a few years ago and have spoken with a few people about them. It is high quality, like Privilege, but built in lower numbers and the Ozzie dollar rate (for now) makes any that are available out of my range. I'll reassess in a couple of years though.
It will have to be second hand, they dont build them anymore
Old 10-05-2010, 17:50   #45

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat
Thumbs down

I noted the molds were for sail.

Last year at Santuary Cove boat shoe I wasn't able to get a look over the Perry.

I hadn't booked an invitation and I wasn't wearing enough gold around my neck. (none actually)

Completely different reception accross the pontoon with Seawind.

Perry hull is a Grainger design as is the Lightwaves and the reason for their sailing qualities.

Tags
buying, catamaran, for sale

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: