Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Which type of catamarans would you choose, price not an object
Admiral 5 1.81%
BroadBlue 18 6.52%
Catana 62 22.46%
Dean 4 1.45%
Privilege 29 10.51%
Lagoon 55 19.93%
St Francis 25 9.06%
African Cats 24 8.70%
PDQ 26 9.42%
Voyage 9 3.26%
Manta 25 9.06%
Leapord 41 14.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2007, 15:52   #91
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
You also left out the Chris White cats, Maine Cat, Dolphin, SeaWind (OZ boat now imported into the US), probably someone else too.

If price were no object, we would go with a custom design based on the Maine Cat 41, slightly bigger with a custom designed hybrid diesel electric. Can we also have a crew option where the crew/cook/captain are always available when needed and then disappear magically when not needed?

Fair Winds,
Mike & Susan
TabbyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 21:59   #92

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I did my circumnavigation in a Privilege 39 catamaran, and if I go around the world again, I will probably do it in my Privilege.

The type of catamaran that I want will depend upon what I am going to do with it. If I am sailing short handed offshore, I want a smaller catamaran that is on the heavy side. If I am sailing along the coast, nearly any catamaran will do. If I am cruising in the Caribbean, nearly any catamaran will do. But if I am going around the world, I want a heavier cat like the Privilege that can take a beating and keep on ticking.

When I arrived in New Zealand the second time, I saw several catamarans that had structural damage from sailing at high speeds in big seas for prolonged periods of time. Perhaps if they hadn't pushed so hard, their bridgedecks and associated structures wouldn't have suffered.

Finally, if I was going to sail in the high lattitudes, I would want a catamaran that was at least 50 feet long in order to get the bridge deck high enough to avoid slamming in the high lattitude seas when going to windward. Nevertheless, my bias would still be in favor of a heavier catamaran that was extremely strongly built.

Now if I had an unlimited pocket book, and it didn't matter if I created a demolition derby by sailing at high speeds offshore for prolonged periods of time, then a light fast cat would fit the bill. But since I don't have the resources, I will settle for an affordable smaller cat that is strongly built, and I will confine my voyage to mainly low lattitude trade wind sailing.

Cheers,
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:21   #93

Boat: not yet
Yapluka 63 (if no money limit)
Shuttleworth 50 bridgedeck
Cris White Atlantic range
Wharram Islander 55 (feasable)
Wharram Tiki 46 (feasable in this lifetime)
koolhistorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 10:17   #94

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 38, Wild Honey
outremer 42/ 45 or price allowing" Earthling " what an incredible machine , light years ahead of anything where is she now ?
gramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 15:47   #95

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Earthling was up for sale recently and was supposed to do the Brisbane to Gladstone, but I don't think she did.

Here is another cat from the same stable which is quite nice.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tsunami-youngmarine.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	1518  
Old 15-10-2007, 11:56   #96

The kind with one hull. har har har
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 16:56   #97
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
If money were no problem, I would have something custom built of all carbon fiber that is over 100 feet that goes like hell...by the same design team as the Gunboats

Otherwise a Gunboat 90', a Lagoon 67 or an AfricanCat 52

Of course the crew would all be female coeds with perfect figures who would pay me to be their skipper.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 17:22   #98

Boat: 1995 CATALINA 320 formerly Catamaran owner
Send a message via Skype™ to SurfNRG
Phifertex Window Mesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
Not usually as Privilege provide covers for the outside of the salon windows that cut out around 80% of the thermal energy while still allowing good visibility from the inside looking out.
It's called Phifertex in the U.S. and this mesh material and snaps are available at
HTML Code:
http://www.sailrite.com
. Doesn't look hard to make yourself and they have all the materials to do it.

Once I complete the installation of new Lexan windows in my Wildcat I'll make these covers. For now I'm just using the reflective window material you use in your front windshield. It doesn't protect the actual Lexan since it's installed inside and you can't see through it but keeps the harsh Florida sun and heat out. I bought a huge piece at a local RV dealership and custom cut them for each of the 8 windows. They're installed on the inside and held in place by small suction cups. For now it keeps it cool inside. But like I say, once I get my new windows in I'll do the Phifertex thing.
SurfNRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 18:40   #99

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by philip van praag View Post
posted a question in the sailing forum regarding this thread and poll intrigued if the sail plan and sailing ability had anything to do with peoples choice (what type of sail plan do you prefer) not many replies as yet any comments ?
I wish some of the mfgrs would be innovative.

Like this maybe.

Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2007, 22:34   #100
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I wish some of the mfgrs would be innovative.

Like this maybe.

What's the advantage?
Old 19-10-2007, 05:55   #101

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
What's the advantage?
There seems to ba a few.
One that is not is mast compression estimates, but modern materials could easily overcome that I would think.

1) A cruising rig that is more aerodynamically efficient, which should enable you to get the same speed with less sail area, or more speed with the same
sail area

2) A rig that delivers a clean leading edge for all the sails
3) A rig that allows the whole sail plan to be roller-furled away or deployed.
4) A rig that allows the reefing of the sails without turning into the weather.
5) A rig that divides up the total sail area into smaller manageable sizes.
6) A rig that maintains its balance center (CE) with different sail combinations.
7) A rig that produces less overturning moments.

You need to read this.

Sail Propulsion - Revisiting a Mast-Aft Sailing Rig

If I had the money I would have the boat built in a 40-44ft version.

Like he says. Tradition is SLOOOOOWWWW to change.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2007, 22:32   #102
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I used to own a Hobie 18 which of course has a mast that rotates. Towards the end of a tack when that mast popped into place, you could feel an almost instantaneous increase in power because the mast was no longer pointing fore and aft...it was pointing into the wind and the air along side the low pressure and the high pressure side of the sail had a nice laminar flow.

It's amazing how more boats don't have masts that rotate. It irks me to see these beautiful exotic material racing sails with masts that are pointed towards the bow instead of into the wind....destroying what could be a really nice airflow. You can just imagine a vortex on the low pressure side of the sail right behind the mast on a boat whose mast does not rotate. Don't airplanes have spoilers on the low pressure side of the wing that are designed to do just that...destroy laminar flow as soon as the wheels hit the ground? A mast that does not rotate is almost the same thing as a spoiler...right?

I'm sure people have thought about solutions for a rotating mast. I wonder what the problems are of doing this on a much larger scale than the Hobie 18? Yes, Hobies have only three shrouds but why could that not be scaled up?..along with scaling up the teflon bearing at the mast base. It sure would make for a much cleaner leading edge.
Old 19-10-2007, 22:50   #103

Lots of big cats have rotating rigs. I'm thinking about one for my boat, when the time comes. There are some advantages - they are said to be around 5% more efficient, and sail can be more easily reduced without rounding up, but there are a couple of issues to think about too - ie. masthead nav lights, and masthead wind instrument transducers. I've been told that a rotating mast might be more likely to fall down too, due to failure of the standing rigging.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2007, 02:23   #104

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I've been told that a rotating mast might be more likely to fall down too, due to failure of the standing rigging.
Easy, ditch the standing rigging altogether.

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2007, 03:21   #105
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Hallo Schoonerdog

Have you been able to source the Lexan Margard for your St Francis 44. if not I could send it to you from the netherlands , they produce it here
Greetings
Gideon
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote