Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2008, 21:53   #136

Boat: Catalina 42: Quetzalcoatl
Suggestion:
Digression in discussion is OK, and even expected. But this thread has morphed from its original premise into a discussion on technical aspects of boatbuilding resins. Why not start another thread on that subject? Several pages back I became uncomfortable with the increasingly argumentative tone taken in posts, and hoped this thread could either be brought back on topic or retired. "Commercial Vendors" do themselves few favors by engaging in acrimonious exchanges. My 2c....
Old 29-08-2008, 10:52   #137

Boat: In the market
BigCat, you have collected an impressive amount of information regarding boat building materials, but you have built no boats.

Gludy, I celebrate in your good fortune to be able to write a check for a million dollar boat, but you have no experience sailing.

You might reconsider your attempts to pass yourselves off as peers of someone who is a professional in both the fields you have aspirations to.

I am hopeful that you two will consider my comments as constructive criticism.
Old 29-08-2008, 11:04   #138
cruiser

Does BigCat know boatbuilding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblanford View Post
BigCat, you have collected an impressive amount of information regarding boat building materials, but you have built no boats.

Gludy, I celebrate in your good fortune to be able to write a check for a million dollar boat, but you have no experience sailing.

I find your attempts at passing yourselves off as peers of someone who is a professional in both the fields you have aspirations to, as being equally presumptive, pompous, and pedestrian.

I am hopeful that you two will consider my comments as constructive criticism.
I bought a hull and finished it out. I was trained for 6 weeks in fiberglassing by Skookum Marine, which built many fishing boats under USCG survey. This involved lots of hands on experience in boat building and fiberglassing.

I then sailed the boat I finished out across the Pacific. This boat had and still has a balsa core deck. I departed Seattle in 1976 for this voyage. A couple of years ago the current owners of this boat contacted me, and I visited the boat and sailed on it. In the interim, the boat had made a circumnavigation, so I think I can make a valid claim to know fiberglass boat building, and ocean voyaging.

I am not sure that I can completely answer your comment without incurring the wrath of the moderators, however. I have no doubt that Gideon knows a great deal about boatbuilding. The issues involved, IMHO, have less to do with the question of knowledge than the question of good faith.
Old 29-08-2008, 11:34   #139

Boat: In the market
BigCat, I edited my previous post before your reply was posted. My edited post is the way I wish my comment to stand.

I do appreciate your 6 weeks of fiberglassing experience. If I understand you correctly that was more than 32 years ago.

My impression of the nature of your experience and your postings, still puts you in a different league than Gideon.

I offer these comments with respect to your stature within the boat building community.
Old 29-08-2008, 11:55   #140
cruiser

Materials / experience issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblanford View Post
BigCat, I edited my previous post before your reply was posted. My edited post is the way I wish my comment to stand.

I do appreciate your 6 weeks of fiberglassing experience. If I understand you correctly that was more than 32 years ago?

My impression of the nature of your experience and your postings, still puts you in a different league than Gideon.

I offer these comments with respect to your stature within the boat building community.
Yes, long ago. I have been bringing myself up to date recently, and have done one resin infusion. In another month or two, I will have had a reasonable amount of experience of resin infusion. Vinylester is stronger and more flexible than polyester, but no different to work with than polyester. The other thing that has changed is the use of unidirectional glass cloth, and the multi-axial layering of unidirectional cloth. I had far more than 6 weeks of using fiberglass-the training was 6 weeks. I fiberglassed for about 1.5 years. I've got a helper in my project who was laid off when Glacier Cataman got into difficulties. He's been doing nothing but fiberglass boat building for the last 26 years.

If you are looking for more knowledgable people who have used, for example, balsa, here's a list:

-Catamaran Designers using Balsa
Schionning
Oram
Hughes
Lavranos
Hill
Simonis Vogt
Lidgard
Morelli and Melvin
Roberts
Antrim
Grainger

-Stock Sailing Catamarans using Balsa
Prout
Admiral
Broadblue
Leopard (Robertson and Caine) (Moorings)
Tasman
Lagoon
Dean
Seawind
C.I.M.s Ocean Voyager 65

You surely won't question their experience in boat design and construction?
Old 29-08-2008, 13:07   #141
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Thread closed

It's time to close this thread.

The original poster's last appearance in the thread was almost five months ago, when he asked a question related to the topic of the thread, and was ignored by a few members who unilaterally turned the discussion to construction materials and methods.

I frankly don't blame him for giving up on it.