Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2019, 18:44   #76
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: I watched a guy nearly capsize right in front of us

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
TW is correct.
Wharrams I've sailed are two single, stand alone hulls which are lashed together with cross-members and webbing straps - unlike any other cat I've been on.
No.. They do not stand alone.. they fall over.

Born To Be Wild.. Click on the picture.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 19:06   #77

Re: I watched a guy nearly capsize right in front of us

Especially after a lot of rum!

Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 21:13   #78
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
No itís not!
I've told you before
Factor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:05   #79

You did not!
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 18:41   #80

Boat: Maxum 37'

https://www.wharram.com/articles/how...aran-stability

Didn't find the Cooltubes device, but found this from James Wharram.

Interesting discussion on Catamaran stability.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 19:12   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Didn't find the Cooltubes device
It was basically a custom one-off device that was then patented, but due to a combination of circumstances never went into production.

The patent has since expired.. you can find some details of it here.. https://patents.google.com/patent/US4541356

Further details/drawings are probably available from the US Patent Office for a fee.
JAFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:34   #82

All of this catamaran discussion is a smoke screen that misses the real point. The question is not whether or not the catamaran can be knocked down. The question should be whether or not a catamaran will right itself like a well designed and sealed mono hull will. Now, apply your high school physics to find the answer.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:58   #83

Boat: Maxum 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchaway View Post
All of this catamaran discussion is a smoke screen that misses the real point. The question is not whether or not the catamaran can be knocked down. The question should be whether or not a catamaran will right itself like a well designed and sealed mono hull will. Now, apply your high school physics to find the answer.
Dude, I have an advanced degree in Physics, and Theoretical Mathematics, I make a living solving equations for engineers, don't go there.

Form stability is the future, IF you had read the whitepaper you would have seen why.

You have a righting arm of what? 7ft? I have a righting arm of 24ft with a 10,000 lb AMA on the end of it. (with probably another 2,000 lbs of my junk). A monohull will roll a hundred times before a cat rolls once.

There are dozens of threads on this forum generally turning into flame wars on this subject. I'm sure your boat does a fine job for its intended purpose, I thought long, and hard looking at hundreds of monohulls before I made my decision.

You can if you like start a thread on monohull stability, or you can revive one of the flame war threads. But your statement has no purpose here.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 17:43   #84

Boat: Leopard 45

While you spend the next few years figuring that out, I think Ill sail a few thousand more miles in a catamaran. Ill get back to you!
Quote:
Dude, I have an advanced degree in Physics, and Theoretical Mathematics, I make a living solving equations for engineers, don't go there.

Form stability is the future, IF you had read the whitepaper you would have seen why.

You have a righting arm of what? 7ft? I have a righting arm of 24ft with a 10,000 lb AMA on the end of it. (with probably another 2,000 lbs of my junk). A monohull will roll a hundred times before a cat rolls once.

There are dozens of threads on this forum generally turning into flame wars on this subject. I'm sure your boat does a fine job for its intended purpose, I thought long, and hard looking at hundreds of monohulls before I made my decision.

You can if you like start a thread on monohull stability, or you can revive one of the flame war threads. But your statement has no purpose here.
robertk445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 04:24   #85

Wharramís arenít lashes together they are lashed apart.
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 19:29   #86

Quote:

With all your qualifications you still did not answer his physics question.
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 02:04   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchaway View Post
A monohull rolls through 360 degrees, it's rig is torn off.

Because it's rig is gone, it will now continue to roll repeatedly, smashing everything and everyone on board, resulting in the engine, steering and crew being disabled.

What is left is a seriously injured crew in a completely disabled boat, at real risk of sinking.

Is this in any way advantageous compared to a catamaran that inverts and remains afloat upside down?

Add to that the fact that the conditions which rolled your mono many times over may not have been sufficiently severe to even capsize a catamaran in the first place.

Then there's all those keels falling off all over the place. Very untidy.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 03:51   #88

When are you people going to get it through your heads that there are great Cats and there are crap Cats there are great mono's and there are crap mono's. What is far more important is your ability as a sailor. Any boat crossing oceans can be a death trap in the hands of a poor sailor with poor seamanship and good sailors using good seamanship can safely cross oceans in just about anything. Your constant rambles that one is any better than the other does not reflect well on your knowledge of boat design or seamanship so my assumption is that you are all dangerous in either.
HansChristian33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 02:41   #89

Yeah, I can imagine the masts and keels coming off of some of these Tupperware boats
And I suppose serious Southern ocean sailors like Skip Novak need to move to a Tupperware raft first designed to carry the women children and pigs from one island the other. Hehe LOL
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 02:03   #90
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter57 View Post
Yeah, I can imagine the masts and keels coming off of some of these Tupperware boats
And I suppose serious Southern ocean sailors like Skip Novak need to move to a Tupperware raft first designed to carry the women children and pigs from one island the other. Hehe LOL
Skip Novak

Sos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
size, capsize