Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2008, 15:59   #1

I wana cat

I am ready to take the plunge, no pun intended. I am going to buy a cat but all my experience has been with monos. I want something in the range of 30 to 35 foot range. Something used and not a UGO but not a Porch either.

Can you guys kinda give me some advice and suggestions! I don't even know the builders or manufacturers. Kinda look at me as a neophyte in the world of cat knowledge.

I have emotionally made the step from mono to multi, but need some TLC to make the right choice.

William (Pat) Isaacs
fullafrisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 16:09   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Welcome Pat!

There are many great cats in this range, depending on your use. If you're looking at cruising, then I'll start you off with: PDQ (some great older ones), Seawind 1000, Fountaine Pajot 35, Lagoon 35/37 (going from smaller/lighter to bigger/heavier). However, there are many custom designs out there, too.

Let us know about how expect to use it and we can be more helpful.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 16:44   #3

Thanks for the reply. I would intend to use it for coastal Florida and Caribbean cruising. A couple of weeks at a time. I would like to semi live-a-board from time to time. I found a web site which seems to be helpful, but it deals with home built boats. It does have a wealth of multi hull suggestions and recommendations for design and such.

A catamaran sailing cruising adventure, isn't it time for yours?

I would be sailing single handed most of the time and would need a boat which would accommodate that need.
Old 08-06-2008, 16:56   #4

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
What ur montly?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 17:13   #5

Use long hand when replying to me. I am from Kentucky and we speak "Y'all" up there. I am not good at this short hand sailor lingo, but I can learn.

Thanks
Old 08-06-2008, 17:26   #6

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
What is you all's monthly payment limit? IE. You get what you pay for. A sailor and his money are soon parted. BOAT = break out another thousand.

You know.............
Old 08-06-2008, 19:23   #7

Oh, now I get it. A little fun for a lotta mon. Would like to have a boat in the 50 to 75K range, maybe up to 100K if it's a value deal.

I figure with dockage, insurance, fuel, and a bit of a capital fund for general "Murphy's Law" expenses it might be about 1 to 1.5K per month.

I am still working and, although I am not exceptionally well healed, I am cash flow positive.

I certainly won't be one of those multi boat owners with an on-call crew of boys and girls in double breasted blazers and sailor caps.

It is more important that I find a good boat with a winning personality that will sail off into the sunset and is looking for a long term relationship. I like to keep my toys for a long time.

Cars, boats, clothes, friends, and dogs tend to stick around me for a long time. Just call me old fashion, but I am as loyal a Blue Tick Coon Hound.
Old 08-06-2008, 19:58   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Maybe something like this?:

1997 Gemini 105M Boat For Sale

Gemini's are great boats for the money. They sail well, there are tons of them around, so parts aren't hard to get, and they hold their resale value well. I've got a couple of friends on them that do quite extensive sailing (N. Carolina to Florida, Bahamas, Caribbean). Not a racer, but still respectable while having some comfort, too.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 20:06   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullafrisky View Post
Oh, now I get it. A little fun for a lotta mon. Would like to have a boat in the 50 to 75K range, maybe up to 100K if it's a value deal.

Very few cats in that range.
I have been looking for 2 years and may never have that much.
Can't wait forever.

Here are some.
gemini (Sail) Multi-hull Boats For Sale

Here is world wide 75k an under. There are 30 in the listings.

(Sail) Multi-hull Boats For Sale

Good luck.