Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2015, 10:39   #1

Boat: Lagoon 420
I’m headed to Annapolis, Cat Shopping 2015

I am preparing to spend the next season of my life circumnavigating on a catamaran. Just booking my trip to the Annapolis Sailing Boat show is an opportunity to see as many cats within my budget (200 to 400k) in one place as possible.

I have a working wish list of options and features, suffice to say I’m seeking a safe, comfortable boat rigged for short handing.

I’ve been inclined towards daggerboards over keels as I’ve heard this has a substantial impact on the ability to sail windward, as well as being able to enter more shallow waters. I need to learn more about this matter as it pertains to both performance and safety in rough seas.

Protected helm – I will be wanting to explore higher latitudes. I will want at a minimum a rigid windshield rather than vinyl with excellent visibility for single handed watches.

All together I’m looking for the best blend of safety, performance and comfort at a price I can afford with a vessel that has good resale in case I decide to bail out or upgrade.

Anybody who has any suggestions about how to make the most of this trip to Annapolis towards my objective of finding the best maiden for my plan I welcome your thoughts.

I'd love to meet some new friends at this show - if you're going and feel like saying hey, give a shout, let's swap sail tales
psychfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 17:47   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: I’m headed to Annapolis, Cat Shopping 2015

With your budget, requirements, and expectations, I suggest your time in Annapolis is best spent looking at used boats.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 18:07   #3

Boat: St Francis 50

A Seawind 1160-1250 would be a good potential.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Catalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 12:55   #4

Boat: Cabo Rico 45

Psychfeld,
I too went to the boat show">Annapolis boat show to prepare for my 'next chapter', i.e. retirement.
I have similar goals and a similar budget, but wasn't considering a Cat until Annapolis.
Now, I'm intrigued by the idea. I've gone from a focus on a few very specific 40-50 foot monohulls to considering a Cat, and now have almost decided that the Cat is the way to go.
Having similar requirements and wish list, I'd like to compare notes. Which Cats are you seriously considering, and why?
What major learning points did you leave Annapolis with?

Best of luck in your search!
Mark
S/V Reveille is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis, head, shopping