Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2008, 10:59   #16

Cat460,

It sounds like you have taken a good boat and made it better. Is that a one off modification or are they building a mold for it?

Good luck with the build.
Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:35   #17

Abaco, they are building a new mold. It was in its final fairing while my wife and I were at the factory last week. Ours will be the first boat out of the mold although the first boat will be made from the plug which is all foam core.
cat480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:47   #18

Thanks Gideon. Would you suggest the 2' taller rig that the designer is offering? I think the idea there is to keep the level of performance equal to the 440. Tim
Old 08-04-2008, 11:56   #19

Boat: Catana 471
Congrats Tim on your boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat460 View Post
Would you suggest the 2' taller rig that the designer is offering?
How tall is the tall rig? What will you be needing to go under?

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 13:01   #20

Dave, the tall rig is 64' above the water. It has a pretty long boom. The taller rig will have a main that is slightly over 800 sq.ft. The new boat has a slightly larger fore triangle. Tim
Old 08-04-2008, 13:02   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Hallo Tim making the rig taller depends on many things,
Has the boat been widened ( you do not want a tippy cat )
What happened with the weight compared with the 44?
You have bought the sail away plug , there is nothing wrong with that but they are normally heavier than the later produced boats.
Knysna yachts are good builders but not light weight builders since the bought the moulds from Duncan Lethbridge the boat has had a substantial weight increase and to offset this more sail will help but be carefull since you do not want to step over a safe line, I also understand that the bridgdeck height is raised or almost double so the centre of gravity has also gone up another reasoin to be careful with more sail especcially at the top, it might be a better idea to lenghten the boom if possible.
It helps keeping your leverage down.
Discuus it with the designer Angelo Lavranos he can tell you what to do and is very capable.lavranos@ihug.co.nz
Make sure once you get your cat to keep it light the hulls are slim and the design cannot carry a big load.

Greetings

Gideon
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 13:36   #22

Tim - this is obvious, but I'll mention it anyway for completeness - recommend you identify fixed bridges you may have to navigate under to make sure 64' will fit. Since you're from the S.F. area you may not be familiar - or even care - that the east coast ICW fixed bridges are 65' (with at least one lower exception). Personally, I'd go with the taller rig. My stick is taller than 65'. Real boats go outside.

Dave
Old 08-04-2008, 14:27   #23

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
east coast ICW fixed bridges are 65' (with at least one lower exception). Personally, I'd go with the taller rig. My stick is taller than 65'. Real boats go outside.

Dave
When looking at our boat before the purchase, someone pointed out that with the 68' tall rig that I couldn't use the ICWW and that bothered me but we wanted that boat and its faster to go outside to get where we want to be(caribbean). I agree with you Dave. When are we going to get together for a cold beverage and some sailing talk. Maybe a raft up is in order later in the season.

Chester
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 15:04   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
When are we going to get together for a cold beverage and some sailing talk.
How about in a few minutes?

We're on the hard at GYB until sometime next month. How are you at stringing new tramps?

Dave
Old 09-04-2008, 08:56   #25
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
REAL BOATS GO OUTSIDE,

That's a hoot for sure. I was forced to do the ICW from Daytona to Lauderdale by my wife. Took us 5 days to get to Miami. Then I was forced to return to Daytona. I finally convinced her to go outside. What took 5 days now took 36 hours. I guess now we are a REAL BOAT, because the wife looks at the ICW as the plague now.

I have to admit it was fun once. I loved getting the chance to look into all the backyards. Never again unless some REALLY NASTY WEATHER forces us inside to hide.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:09   #26

Well, to be honest, it would be nice to have the option of going inside when needed. Oh well.

As an aside, cats/tris with sticks short enough to do this have a real advantage over deep monos in the ditch due to the shoaling taking place in some spots. Or so I hear.

Dave