Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2013, 15:00   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: I have a Dream

Boneboy, I'd stand with Barnakiel's advice to charter for your family adventures considering the amount of time you have to spend compared to the expenses. .....and, as a bonus, your charters could jump from the Lesser Antilles to the Med, Asia, South Pacific,..... no limits!
Old 30-08-2013, 09:30   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy View Post
Hi

I recently bought a CAT and have competed the few needed upgrades...
My plans to " cruise" may get delayed somewhat and have considered taking on a partner..
My sail schedule will be flexible.

I also need a convenient location in the Caribbean to reach by air for a couple of years..

Does not hurt to chat to see if there is any opportunity here.

Regards

Geoff
I owned the Consor 40 and now own a Crowther, I will try to stop by on the way south. Stephen 775 827 2786 PST PS the Bahamas cost 75% less than the Caribbean. My full coverage insurance is $800!!!
multihuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 11:28   #18

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Thread winning quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpddj View Post
SNIP

It took a couple years longer than I wanted, but I think it's falling in place.

SNIP!
I keep running across posts like this in multiple threads about boat ownership. I bought a Seawind last October and have been in Boot Key since then. Sailing in the Florida Keys is not all that bad, even if I have to dodge lobster pots during the season. Prices are higher than the mainland, but a lot less than the Bahamas or South.

One guy in the marina just cut off his stack pack and lazy jacks to make it easier to raise his full battened main and not have the battens catch in the lazy jacks. I have probably spent 20-30 hours adjusting my lazy jacks and adding straps below my loose footed main so it is easier to raise and lower it.

Same goes for things like sailing with a reef or two with or without the screecher up. I would much rather do this for the first time a few miles off shore in the Keys in 10-12 knots than in the BVI in 30 knots.

I have no doubt I will be heading South. But for now a trip to the Dry Tortugas for a few weeks keeps me in US waters, is much cheaper, and still gives me great experience. At the same time I have access to great diving, fishing, and sailing at much lower prices than if I was in the Bahamas, or the Greater or Lesser Antilles. And it is also easy to fly into Miami, rent a car, and drive to the Keys.

YMMV
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 11:58   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

why not start by getting a boat on the texas coast,owning a boat at distance is a real pita!,and expenses gettin to and fro really add up quick
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 11:59   #20

Boat: MacGregor 26 M 2007
Thumbs up Re: I have a Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post

Get a smaller boat that you can use now and then get that big awesome cat later. It would get you on the water now at a much cheaper price!

The go small go now things seems to make lots of cent$

Have the same dream and a few years back bought a MacGregor 26M trailer sailor and trailer it all over. The family loves it, I get allot of sailing and boating practice and because I get to sail in different places and conditions I think I am preparing myself for the big day. I think "boatsail" has the right advise.

Renier
SKIPPER2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 12:28   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
why not start by getting a boat on the texas coast,owning a boat at distance is a real pita!,and expenses gettin to and fro really add up quick
True.

One comment I often hear in the Florida Keys is that maybe five days a month we have gin clear Bahamas level viz in the water. If you go some place like Dry Tortugas it is maybe 15 days a month.

In the Bahamas it is probably 25 days a month.

The whole reason folks go South, even given the expense, is for a different type of water. There is also a different level of wind strength and consistency.

Nothing against Texas, I lived on the Gulf Coast for over 30 years. But it is a much different experience sailing in water where you can see the bottom when it is 50 feet deep. You learn how to judge bottom depth, where to drop the anchor where it will hold, and a whole lot of other stuff.

Both routes are valid, you pay your money and you take your chances.
Old 30-08-2013, 13:20   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

austin is a 2-3 hour drive to the coast,so potentially the op could be on his boat every weekend,at minimal cost,with mexico a stones throw away,whereas with young kids getting to puerto rico is going to be a 2-3 times a year event,with not many close by sailing areas,and mostly full speed trade wind conditions .
i know what i would prefer
Old 30-08-2013, 13:40   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
austin is a 2-3 hour drive to the coast,so potentially the op could be on his boat every weekend,at minimal cost,with mexico a stones throw away,whereas with young kids getting to puerto rico is going to be a 2-3 times a year event,with not many close by sailing areas,and mostly full speed trade wind conditions .
i know what i would prefer
Not sure just how far you can throw a stone but my arm may not be as strong as yours. I know a little about the Texas Gulf Coast and there is lots of commercial traffic there, especially around Houston and Galveston. Not to say having a boat close to home is not a good idea, just that it may turn out to be a longer and more complicated process to get from Texas to sailing in Mexico than you think.
Old 30-08-2013, 14:12   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Not sure just how far you can throw a stone but my arm may not be as strong as yours. I know a little about the Texas Gulf Coast and there is lots of commercial traffic there, especially around Houston and Galveston. Not to say having a boat close to home is not a good idea, just that it may turn out to be a longer and more complicated process to get from Texas to sailing in Mexico than you think.
mexico was purely an example!

though having currently 4 yachts!,my 26 footer which is 50 ft away from my 65 footer,i get to use 2-3 times a week.

the 37 ft cat is 350 miles away and last visit was in may for 3 weeks.

i had a 50 ft yacht in turkey,that in 2 years i managed about 10 days!

the 65 ft we use as a home,and allmost never moves due to draught and tides!

nothing wrong with shallow brown water sailing,a cat is ideal,as is a bilge keeler,and the fishing is better!
Old 01-09-2013, 20:23   #25

Boat: Monk 36
Re: Thread winning quote

The top ends of my lazy jacks are tied to a line that goes over a sheave part way up the mast, down the inside and out at the lower end of the mast at the deck where they are wrapped to a small cleat. When I get ready to raise the main, I unwrap the line off the cleat, drop the lazy jacks out of the way, raise the main without any concern of catching the battens. When the main is up, I pull the lazy jacks back up and am ready to dowse the main at the drop of a halyard.
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:45   #26

Hooray for dreams - we have just ordered our catana 42 and the dream is now turning in reality. Best of luck with your plans for the future.

The Captain
Homepage | Miss Catana
Reet34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle