Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2015, 15:53   #106

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: I Guess Catamarans do Sink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I wonder how both hulls went down?
That's the head scratcher. I suspect it's ground itself onto a reef or mooring block as the wind has been blowing from the opposite to regular direction for the last couple of days, which would have pushed it into shallower water.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 15:56   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post

____A series type drogue provides significant advantages over a cone or parachute type drogue/sea anchor.
iv) ____A full-scale series drogue demonstrated satisfactory handling and durability characteristics under simulated storm conditions and in actual breaking wave conditions.

Thanks for the drogue/sea anchor.

Only semantics, does it really deserve this scrutiny.

I think not.
I does, because if you attempt to use a drogue as a sea anchor, or vice versa, it won't work.

I have both, the drogue is a parachute with vents cut in it, and a diameter of around 1.5 metres. It also has a choke system so I can reduce the drag if required.

The Para anchor is 6 metres in diameter.

If I deployed the drogue off the bow in storm conditions, I'd drift backwards at a couple of knots, potentially putting the steering system at risk.

The sea anchor will stop the boat almost completely.

A drogue will allow a boat to move downwind at a couple of knots, a sea anchor will see the boat drifting with the current, not the wind.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 16:06   #108

Boat: Scout 30

Thanks for the link to Steve Callahan's dinghy design. Very cool. I've got a Bauer 10 & an 11' Avon with the inflatable floor. I really prefer the Bauer because I can sail & row it well but have been thinking about adding flotation to it like Dinghy Dogs or inflatable beach rollers from Duckworks.

Beach Roller
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 08:51   #109

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I does, because if you attempt to use a drogue as a sea anchor, or vice versa, it won't work.

I have both, the drogue is a parachute with vents cut in it, and a diameter of around 1.5 metres. It also has a choke system so I can reduce the drag if required.

The Para anchor is 6 metres in diameter.

If I deployed the drogue off the bow in storm conditions, I'd drift backwards at a couple of knots, potentially putting the steering system at risk.

The sea anchor will stop the boat almost completely.

A drogue will allow a boat to move downwind at a couple of knots, a sea anchor will see the boat drifting with the current, not the wind.
Point well taken.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 08:54   #110

Boat: Oyster 55

After viewing the Portland Pudgy website I was very impressed and it sounds too good to be true.
Any one here have actual experience with one?
Also any comments about it's potential downside would be appreciated.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 09:19   #111

I was considering one so I've done some research & have read comments from several owners that seem to like it very much. I believe it does everything they say it does. However, it is on the small side at 7'8" & is heavy for that size at 128 lbs. It's also kind of pricey for plastic at $2,700 but that's actually reasonable for a quality dinghy. The sailing rig a $1,300 is pretty typical but $2,000 for the life raft canopy might be a little steep. But it is a well thought out system.
Old 22-02-2015, 10:18   #112

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
That's the head scratcher. I suspect it's ground itself onto a reef or mooring block as the wind has been blowing from the opposite to regular direction for the last couple of days, which would have pushed it into shallower water.
But it didn't sink all the way.
Could be resting on the bottom though.
Old 22-02-2015, 12:16   #113

Boat: Oyster 55

Thanks for your response Scout 30.
It sounds as something can do a lot with (dingy, sailboat, liferaft) but maybe not as well as you would like.
I guess my major concern is the complications of deployment in storm conditions when compared to a conventional liferaft. Not that liferafts are free of problems!
I would ideally like to have only one dingy aboard and I can live with the decreased carrying capacity but the above worries me.
Also there have been many anchorages I have visited where a little sailboat would have been fantastic.
Therefore I am seriously considering one now that I believe my catamaran is capable of sinking.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 16:59   #114

I was looking at my last issue of the Boat US insurance mag Seaworthy. In it they've got statistics for lightning strikes. Interestingly enough multihull sailboats were twice as likely to be struck by lightning when compared to monohull sailboats which are little more than twice as likely to be struck when compared to trawlers/motor yachts. I guess the take away from this thread is that any boat can be destroyed at sea from one disaster or another so it would be prudent to have some kind of life raft or suitable dinghy for escape if offshore. And an epirb or something similar.
Old 23-02-2015, 02:54   #115

Boat: Custom Power Cat 16.5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
Until you lean it over just a little bit? Would you go up your mast while floating if the keel wasn't there?

Dave
That's what det cord is for
Rule303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran