Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-08-2012, 21:36   #16

Re: I cannot nor desire to afford a custom 40 foot boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmort View Post
Not really in your price range but take a look at the Antares 44i for a purpose built liveaboard cruising cat (lots of wood too).
I like the Antares 44i as well. Although I like the modern designs with less wood.

Kind of like this company's trimarans.
NEEL trimarans

Have you considered a trimaran?

I have no idea about the price, except that it is expensive.

Old 22-08-2012, 01:13   #17

RE: Weight of wood

I now know what was bothering me about that. Given weight of wood per board foot hovers around 3.5 lb. Some species, like Holly, are a bit more but Mahogany is less. Even Red Oak (which I abhore) is less than 3 lbs/bf. Given weight of water is 8.4 per Imperial gallon.

The above is for solid wood, laminates and veeners would be far less in weight. Add fasteners, adhesives, mouldings, etc and the weight is far less than water and associated plumbing.

The weight of wood would be spread over the boat whereas water tankage is concentrated at specific location. Obviously in both cases the CG would be designed to an advantage.

Engine, accessories, fluids, plumbing, etc has not even yet been mentioned. However when you add all this together it seems the weight of even solid wood would be but a fraction of that of other systems.

Note: weight increase due to use of wood would equal the weight of wood minus the weight of material the wood replaces (plastic, Corian, etc)
Therefore, addition of even solid wood would not be a significant increase in total weight to boat such as Lagoon 450.

Lastly, other than cabin sole, I have not ever used solid wood in interior finishes of pleasure boats.

Old 22-08-2012, 06:18   #18

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Richard5.... A Privilege is what you want ( or maybe a Catana) On a 2000 or later Privilege there is not one square inch of white gelcoat anywhere in the accomodation other than the heads (of course). Standard production boats are Beech or Cherry but I've even seen Maple and Walnut.

Mine is a hard used former charter boat that I've down a round the world trip on but everything works... genny, air con, inverter, electric winches etc, etc... and the wood is in good shape except for one or two small areas. When she goes up for sale she'll be right at the bottom of your price range!

http://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 08:23   #19

The KEEL tris look sporty on the exterior but a 1980s disco in the interior. And they only point to 40*

I did look at some of the listings for the Privilege. Perhaps I am too picky but a fully arced settee??? And c'mon, a glass table top for the salon? I guess the boats I looked at are for never leaving outside the harbor. Those were Owner Version too.

Thanks for the good responses. I am not done yet, not by far.
Old 22-08-2012, 09:02   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII

I think the Privilege would be amongst the most actively cruised multis in the world. Plenty may be in harbours, plenty more are cruising, I would go so far as to say that they would have one of the higher sales to world cruise ratios, based purely on my anecdotal observation
Old 22-08-2012, 12:42   #21

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
The KEEL tris look sporty on the exterior but a 1980s disco in the interior. And they only point to 40*

I did look at some of the listings for the Privilege. Perhaps I am too picky but a fully arced settee??? And c'mon, a glass table top for the salon? I guess the boats I looked at are for never leaving outside the harbor. Those were Owner Version too.

Thanks for the good responses. I am not done yet, not by far.
You're a woodworker. Rip out the curved settee if you don't like it ( although two people can comfortably sleep on them out at sea so they are quite useful) An acquaintance of mine got a dismasted Priv 435 with bad water damage and rebuilt the salon. Very nice too!

Table on mine is Beech not glass. That must have been a special.

http://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: