Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2017, 17:44   #1

I am officially smitten by the New Leopard 45!

My wife & I were at the Miami Sail 2017 today. We went through all the cats, even the ones we didn't like or couldn't afford.

I am in love with the new Leopard 45' boat. This is the newest, just released model. It was sitting next to the older 48' design, and it has slightly more freeboard and bridgedeck clearance than the 48.

There is a special for a new delivered boat with many desirable options for $549k USD. I will get the owners version, with the intracoastal 62' mast most likely.

The additional options I would add here in the US initially after delivery are watermaker, dive compressor, dinghy & motor, security system, AIS, enclosure on the elevated helm.

Delivery is for September 2017 and it would be a 2018 model. Very little would be done immediately after delivery as it will be sailed up to the Annapolis boat show, and then probably for the Miami Sail show I am guessing.

Leopard 45 | Leopard Catamarans US
sheldon957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 17:48   #2

Boat: Leopard 48
Re: I am officially smitten by the New Leopard 45!

A very pretty boat - good choice!
Old 19-02-2017, 18:02   #3

Congrats! You will be very happy with it
rajsach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 18:06   #4

I have not pulled the trigger yet.........but I have an itchy finger. Have to go sail it first.
Old 19-02-2017, 18:20   #5

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

That will be a fun ride for sure.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 18:53   #6

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version

We learned to sail on a 2 year old 44 last summer in Grenada. A great sailing boat! Really liked the reefing system and Leopards system to replace the traveler. Our helm had a hard cover but an enclosure would have been nice at times.
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 20:44   #7

Boat: Leopard 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldon957 View Post
My wife & I were at the Miami Sail 2017 today. We went through all the cats, even the ones we didn't like or couldn't afford.

I am in love with the new Leopard 45' boat. This is the newest, just released model. It was sitting next to the older 48' design, and it has slightly more freeboard and bridgedeck clearance than the 48.

There is a special for a new delivered boat with many desirable options for $549k USD. I will get the owners version, with the intracoastal 62' mast most likely.

The additional options I would add here in the US initially after delivery are watermaker, dive compressor, dinghy & motor, security system, AIS, enclosure on the elevated helm.

Delivery is for September 2017 and it would be a 2018 model. Very little would be done immediately after delivery as it will be sailed up to the Annapolis boat show, and then probably for the Miami Sail show I am guessing.

Leopard 45 | Leopard Catamarans US
We were there and loved the Leopard 45 as well! In fact, we managed to buy one. Can't wait to get on the water and meet up you and with other new Leopard owners Paul and Sandy.
robertk445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 06:36   #8

First post to forums

Really nice boat, like it as well. However, the draft being 5'1" may be a deal breaker for me. There are other threads discussing this, but this is my only real concern so far on the vessel without having been on one. Curious if it bothers anyone else as well. Shallow waters is just another great reason I love cats. Sailed them in many forms for almost 30 years now. Getting into shallows with a 40+ footer that draws less than 4 feet in most cases is a huge bonus for living off the hook and getting great views and solitude!

-Jolly Rodger
rcscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 07:10   #9

Boat: Leopard 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertk445 View Post
We were there and loved the Leopard 45 as well! In fact, we managed to buy one. Can't wait to get on the water and meet up you and with other new Leopard owners Paul and Sandy.
Not having the experience yet.... I would think that there has to be some trade offs. Don't know that I would be comfortable in shallow like that even with 4' draw. I do like the idea of 5' under sail though! A bigger concern is how the boat will perform with shorter mast to get under many USA bridges? We will be in Pensacola and the 68' is out of the question. I would love to get some feedback on that. Thanks

Robert
Leopard 45 (Aug)
robertk445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 07:12   #10

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcscoggin View Post
First post to forums

Really nice boat, like it as well. However, the draft being 5'1" may be a deal breaker for me. There are other threads discussing this, but this is my only real concern so far on the vessel without having been on one. Curious if it bothers anyone else as well. Shallow waters is just another great reason I love cats. Sailed them in many forms for almost 30 years now. Getting into shallows with a 40+ footer that draws less than 4 feet in most cases is a huge bonus for living off the hook and getting great views and solitude!

-Jolly Rodger
The 5'1" draft held held us back also, as we anchor in some anchorages of 5 feet.

We have a 3.8 feet draft that allows us to get in many places or in close to shore
Old 20-02-2017, 07:14   #11

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertk445 View Post
Not having the experience yet.... I would think that there has to be some trade offs. Don't know that I would be comfortable in shallow like that even with 4' draw. I do like the idea of 5' under sail though! A bigger concern is how the boat will perform with shorter mast to get under many USA bridges? We will be in Pensacola and the 68' is out of the question. I would love to get some feedback on that. Thanks

Robert
Leopard 45 (Aug)
With a 62 foot ICW mast you should be all good for the east coast of USA
Old 20-02-2017, 07:15   #12

Boat: a sailing boat

Default water tank looks smallish. Maybe you can have an extra tank installed at the factory.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 08:21   #13

Looking at the 45, and please excuse me if this has been answered before but, what kind of drain is there for the forward lounge area? The 48 has a good size drain but I can't see any on the 45.
Imprezza72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 08:22   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imprezza72 View Post
Looking at the 45, and please excuse me if this has been answered before but, what kind of drain is there for the forward lounge area? The 48 has a good size drain but I can't see any on the 45.
Similar to the 48 as I recall. Grate with holes.
Old 20-02-2017, 08:26   #15

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser

As for me the forward "loggia" is a no go. But I did not made lot of coastal sailing I loved crossings even with sometimes inevitable on wind tracks.
But for the US east coast better the ICW with the sheltered waters a floating condo is luxury living and so far very enjoyable.
Congrats to your choice.
James
onavegador is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leopard, leopard 45