Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2010, 20:16   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Wait! I might not please you with this, but that looks like an ugly mix of disfunctional design. Do you want to take a power cat fit for a family of twelve and put a poor functioning low aspect rig on top? I think you're lucky not to fall for such a vessel. I'm not sailing a top performance boat and I'll admit all boats are a compromise, but this looks like a failure of design to me. Ah, but maybe it's your ideal,- I shouldn't judge too harshly! 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
What he said. Hate to rain on anyone's parade, but that looks like a complete tub to me. Why do you need those stubby masts at all on steel workboat type power cat? That is not enough sail area to drive that boat in less than 30 knots of wind.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 21:42   #17

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
What he said. Hate to rain on anyone's parade, but that looks like a complete tub to me.
But a very comfortable and efficient tub.

Perhaps you would be so kind as to put up pictures of your vessel (or dream vessel) for comment.

I doubt I would be so rude as to make the sort of comment that both you and captforce have made regardless of what I really think.

Quote:
Why do you need those stubby masts at all on steel workboat type power cat?
It is not steel, it is cedar epoxy comp.

Quote:
That is not enough sail area to drive that boat in less than 30 knots of wind.
Perhaps if you read the earlier posts you would be better informed as to why they have these masts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
They are clearly not designed as sailing vessels, but with the sails up and the wind at the right angle, they get an increase in speed, or more importantly can drop rpm back and get increased fuel economy and range for the same speed.
On my current powered cat build I have no mast figuring that the cost of even one would buy a lot of diesel.
Old 21-01-2010, 21:59   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
But a very comfortable and efficient tub.

Perhaps you would be so kind as to put up pictures of your vessel (or dream vessel) for comment.

I doubt I would be so rude as to make the sort of comment that both you and captforce have made regardless of what I really think.

It is not steel, it is cedar epoxy comp.

Perhaps if you read the earlier posts you would be better informed as to why they have these masts.

On my current powered cat build I have no mast figuring that the cost of even one would buy a lot of diesel.
OK, well, sorry, I really didn't intend to offend. My own vessel is pretty ugly (a Moody 54 monohull yacht) and I won't post any pictures of her, but she does have a beautiful, elegant rig -- 75 foot, three-spreader mast. Her saving grace. If you're going to sail, then sail -- in my humble opinion. Otherwise, just be a trawler or a powercat -- as you are, actually. That thing is, sorry, a tub, neither fish nor fowl. To my taste, your powercat is much better.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 00:53   #19

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
That's just an over sized plywood pontoon boat, isn't it?

The dollar to fun ratio must be excellent!
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 01:27   #20

Boat: boat less ATM
Looking at the boat you are building - I like its lines a whole lot more. Keep on task on that boat. This other one is just a momentary lapse of madness.

PS love Coastal Passage magazine
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 04:55   #21

Boat: Nordhavn 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
OK, well, sorry, I really didn't intend to offend. My own vessel is pretty ugly (a Moody 54 monohull yacht) and I won't post any pictures of her, but she does have a beautiful, elegant rig -- 75 foot, three-spreader mast. Her saving grace. If you're going to sail, then sail -- in my humble opinion. Otherwise, just be a trawler or a powercat -- as you are, actually. That thing is, sorry, a tub, neither fish nor fowl. To my taste, your powercat is much better.
I think you have a common idea that may be changing a little. There was a good article on motorsailers in SAIL mag this month by Bob Perry that paralleled the discussion on motorsailers we have had here. I think some people, me included, are seeing a reasonable place for "trawlers with sail." It seems that when you look at some ocean going trawlers fuel capacity/speed limits the range that some of us would like to have. Even the Nordhavn's have to reduce speed pretty good and carry extra fuel to get the range to go across the Pacific, for instance (see the voyage of Egret on the Nordhavn site). Having a sail to augment that speed/efficiency would be handy. It might not be a "dollar and cents" decision but may extend the range of a boat and give the owner more flexibilty to do what he/she wants to do. Even Dashew is foregoing a wing engine for a "get home" sailing rig in his new FPB 64. That rig is not even close to what you have here.
Times are changing a little as old sailors start looking at power boats.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 06:15   #22

If the owner is happy that's all that matters.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 08:43   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Beauty, like love, is in the eyes of the beholder. Not many people probably think my 35 year old monohull is a work of art, but I do. I have to give her a second look each time I leave the dock. So I understand that type of love...
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote