Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2008, 22:41   #16

I agree the Kiwi dollar is looking good , Yes I'm going to Qld. in late Feb.I am being taken out for a run in a cosmos 14.3 and a 16.2 wilderness so I am looking forward to that, That was the main reason for the posting at least I now have some idear what to look for ie; not stepping down into the main cabin.

Graham
KIWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 23:19   #17
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
We measure bridge deck clearance at 75 % of max allowed weigth , that gives us a payload of 3500 Kilo and that is plenty for a long cruise.
Most cat manufactureres measure the bridgedeck height when the boat is actually empty, so you can decrease the height with 10 to 15 cm or 4 to 6 inches.
The immersion rate for the FastCat 435 is 10 mm per 209 kilo,s of load in other words each 2090 kilo,s added to the boat lowers the bridgedeck with 100 mm or 4 inches.
the fastcat standard has 850 mm bridgedeck height with a load of 3500 kilo so if we empty her out the height would become around 1 meter , 3 feet 4 inches !!
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:19   #18

Boat: Catana 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWI View Post
not stepping down into the main cabin.
Graham - This criteria is probably not a reliable one in all cases as an indicator of anything to do with bridgedeck clearance. For example, on the Catana boats, there's a well/sump type arrangement you have to step down into from the "main" cockpit deck before stepping over the sliding door jam into the saloon. So, technically, you do have to step down into the saloon from the cockpit level. This sump collects any water that found its way into the cockpit and drains it overboard straight down (water can also drain several places aft in the cockpit). The cockpit deck is elevated above the saloon deck to permit deep deck lockers in the cockpit. If you look under the boat the bridgedeck is flush fore to aft.

Be very wary of all weight and bridgedeck claims by cat manufacturers and those with a vested interest in selling a particular boat to you.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:43   #19
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Some Cat builders however do not use the raised cockpit space at all but leave it empty so the brdigedeck there is considerable higher like it is in our case 400 mm difference between the bridgedeck under the saloon and under the cockpit
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:43   #20

Actually with the way the dollar is moving manufacturers are beginning to move back to the US. Who knows, maybe the US will be the place to set up boat building operations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsical View Post
Kiwi
With the way the US dollar is going if you hold off a couple of weeks you will probably have 1 million US

Mike
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:38   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaero View Post
I think the comment "all South African built cats have a low bridge deck clearance" is absolute rubbish.
Here's the facts on a few: -

Leopard 46 770mm
Dean 441 660mm
I never said ALL. I said and the reason that very few south african boats will ever make my list of possible boats.. Some of the designs are great - for example the Melvin and Morelli leopards are quite something, I stand by my comment that very few boats from south afrioca have adequate bridgedeck clearance - which is a shame cause they are other wise nice boats.

Ill say it again - very Few boats - NOT ALL
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:45   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Also KIWI - with the sort of money you are talking you should investigate a couple of Farrier Cats that are on the market at the moment, Lorraine Schionning will steer you toward any of a number of good boats from Jeff's boards, Dundee was for sale recently - an absolute gorgeous boat and for a little more money - Le Tigre Chris Watt's absolutely beautiful 50 foot or so wilderness would be amongst my favourites. If you are coming to Brisbane - give me a call and I'll buy you a beer (kiwi's own most of our brewery's now!)
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 02:36   #23
cruiser

Bridgedeck clearance, beam over all

I have seen 6% of the LOA given as a rule for computing what bridge deck height ought to be. Based on what I see around, I think this must be light displacement, before cruising gear and filling the tanks.

Catamarans are getting beamier. I think most designs these days have a beam overall of (1/2 x LOA) x 110%, and I have seen a few beamier. Some think that if there is too much beam overall, the boat is more likely to dig in the lee bow and pitchpole.
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 22:44   #24

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 Maestro
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWI View Post
I agree the Kiwi dollar is looking good , Yes I'm going to Qld. in late Feb.I am being taken out for a run in a cosmos 14.3 and a 16.2 wilderness so I am looking forward to that, That was the main reason for the posting at least I now have some idear what to look for ie; not stepping down into the main cabin.

Graham
Hi Graham,

How did you hook into that? We are a couple of Kiwi's living on the Gold Coast and might like to seriously be looking at these Schionning cats as well, at some time in the future.

We have not yet approached Lorraine Schionning as it is a little too early for us but we are keen to learn anything we can in view of what "Whimsical" had to say.

Cheers
Clyde and Lisa
Kiwikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 11:31   #25

The owners are only to happy to take you out, Lorraine gave me a PH in Brisbane and he has a wilderness cat and he said he may be able to set me up with a ride in a cosmos cat as well , As I was going over to see my brother if the boats are there and not out at the time it will be great

Graham
KIWI is offline   Reply With Quote