Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2018, 07:18   #1

Boat: Mason 44
How to upRight a 57' cat

Hi

I am shocked when I came across this youtube on the rescue of 57' catamaran.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...d&pbjreload=10

A 57' cat is a huge boat and I have never heard of big cat capsized.

Is there a way of turning the monster back up with some sort of floatation bag inflated at the top of mast that can be detached upon self righting?

I read some where in the Voyage for Mad Men, one of the sailor had such a device.

So the million dollar question is

1. How would you handle the same situation with a capsized 57' cat in the middle of nowhere?

2. Is there a self righting device for cat? maybe a bag that is kept inside the boat for such an unfortunate event, like having a life raft.

Your thoughts.

Eric
ericoh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 07:30   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
How to upRight a 57' cat

Not to be sarcastic, but the sea conditions likely required to capsize a big cat I would assume preclude any righting attempts. In fact I’d assume you would be in a real survival situation, hopefully in a life raft having popped the EPIRB and awaiting rescue.
These things don’t go over in calm weather
By the time the weather abates enough for recovery, the condition of the boat may not be so good?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 07:31   #3

Re: How to upRight a 57' cat

I think there is no chance to turn it back up. Thats the disadvantage of cruising cats. However, at the other hand they have no heavy keel which makes the boat sinking when having a leak.
Most of the cats typically do not sink while monohulls can sink within minutes.
myocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 07:38   #4

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Not a cat person. Maybe something like this but using a large powerboat or the rescue boat.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 07:38   #5

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

A bag alone will bring the mast back to the surface (assuming the mast survived the capsize in the first place) but will not right the boat. Usually when these big boats capsize, the mast is lost and the boat is towed to port upside down for a crane to right. There are always exceptions, that involve pulling in two opposite directions or enough power in one direction to pull the boat back over.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 07:44   #6

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

There are two options.

When weather is calm again, tow inverted to next port and use one or two big mobile cranes.
It's a slow process, as the water needs to drain along the way.
Thats the way its done on the huge ORMA multihull raceboats, but they tend to be light and have big money.

Option two, one can try end over end. With the help of a tug/big powerboat on location. Floatation bags and parachute anchors may help. Usually not attached to the rigging though.

Transverse righting will most lightly cause substantial further damage.
In both cases the rig will most lightly not survive.
Old 26-04-2018, 08:49   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

A number of cats, this size, and also bigger and heavier, have been righted in the BVI post Irma. Some have been afloat, and others ashore, They have all needed either one or two cranes (or more), and have been righted athwartships, as opposed to end over end. In several cases, a major problem has been that their structures may not be strong enough to support their weight, including considerable water. The crane straps cut into the decks or elsewhere. This is not a project for the timid, at all, but in every case I have seen, the damage is worsened by the process. In some cases the process was to remove boats, and in others it was an attempt to save them for a rebuild.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 08:54   #8

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
A bag alone will bring the mast back to the surface (assuming the mast survived the capsize in the first place) but will not right the boat. Usually when these big boats capsize, the mast is lost and the boat is towed to port upside down for a crane to right. There are always exceptions, that involve pulling in two opposite directions or enough power in one direction to pull the boat back over.
If cat is totally inverted, as would be the case, how can a flotation device of any size, attached to top (now bottom) of mast, be able to start the sideways motion needed to rotate cat upright? All the flotation force is in line with the vertical underwater mast.

If a pre-installed bag at top of mast could auto-inflate quickly before top of mast sinks much below surface during capsize, then yes it could return top of mast to surface. But for ocean survival conditions it may be better to let the cat go completely inverted and crew can survive inside the hulls.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 09:00   #9

Large floating crane moved by a sea going tug. Not an issue except $$$$ cost could be prohibitive.
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 09:17   #10

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

@contrail

On shore with big cranes you can take both approaches.

Atwarthships causes usually more damage because precisely what you describe happens, the belts cut the boat up.

If one would attempt it at sea I'd not favour to try transversal.

Its a huge effort in any case!
Old 26-04-2018, 09:37   #11

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

I recall that in the 70's that the USSR righted the racing trimaram Gulfstream, or Gulf Streamer, after it had flipped over and drifted for months or years. I am too lazy to google the actual details. The book "Singlehanded Sailing" devoted a chapter to preventing multihulls from turning turtle to their more stable position.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 09:53   #12

Boat: Baba 40

I’ve dropped my big cat (Maine Coon) numerous times and he’s always landed right side up. This ‘fake news’ crap has got to stop!
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 10:19   #13

Large multihulls are best righted bows over stern , towed from a bridle attached to bows. See Jim Browns book 'The Case for the Cruising Trimaran"
Slainte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 10:46   #14

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
If cat is totally inverted, as would be the case, how can a flotation device of any size, attached to top (now bottom) of mast, be able to start the sideways motion needed to rotate cat upright? All the flotation force is in line with the vertical underwater mast.

If a pre-installed bag at top of mast could auto-inflate quickly before top of mast sinks much below surface during capsize, then yes it could return top of mast to surface. But for ocean survival conditions it may be better to let the cat go completely inverted and crew can survive inside the hulls.
In a perfectly static environment this would be true. Our environment is not static. With enough flotation and time it will come around.....if the mast survives.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 11:48   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
@contrail

On shore with big cranes you can take both approaches.

Atwarthships causes usually more damage because precisely what you describe happens, the belts cut the boat up.

If one would attempt it at sea I'd not favour to try transversal.

Its a huge effort in any case!
I wasn't making a recommendation, simply relaying what I have observed in the considerable number of large catamaran rightings that have needed to be done here in the BVI, post Irma, by salvage companies. However, in my opinion, the stress is overwhelming no matter what way you do it. There are tons of water aboard! On land, it's very different.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote