Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-08-2015, 10:20   #16

Boat: still looking for the right Tri
Re: How to store clothes for living on a racing Trimaran ?

Guys... slowly come in the experts... great inputs...

... and more I read on myself about I am astonished how easy it can go with tiny space, so long it's done smart.

Naturally scientists even at Berkeley engineering have thought about folding methods for robots... very interesting. Here some pics I got from the article "The science of FOLDING CLOTHES: Robotics engineers reveal technique for packing garments into neat squares"

... and folding towels

Old 22-08-2015, 10:25   #17
smo

How about buying vacuum bags for the stuff you don't wear all the time and waterproof canoe bags for the stuff you use on a regular basis. Keep foulies in a separate area.

Old 22-08-2015, 10:30   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrebe View Post
3) Conserve clothing by wearing a swimsuit underway and cleaning that when you shower. You simply leave a black back of water called a solar shower out on deck all day and shower in the afternoon when it's gotten warm.
Hang the solar shower from your boom or backstay and use a little hose to wet yourself down in the cockpit with your swimsuit on. Washing yourself will keep the swimsuit clean. If it's overcast and the water never warms up, your choices are to grin and bear it or skip a day or two. Underway it rarely matters.
Just get a solar shower bag and go that way. I actually have hot water and an inside shower on my boat and still generally shower in the cockpit in my swimsuit just because I can do that while I'm helming the boat.
You mean this kind, mstrebe ?? :-)

---
The Coleman Solar Shower... Astonishing the heat (in the vid they say up to 120 degrees max. in the vid test 70-90 degrees).

And its very cheap. A 5 gallon bag[/URL] ( = 18.9 litres) for less than 13 US dollars / 11.42 Euros plus delivery/shipping costs.

Great advice !!
Old 22-08-2015, 10:55   #19

Women probably have it more easy on board, to take with "the little (sexy) black" not caring about Wrinkels and being ready for party, formal events etc. ...

But what do men if they expect business meetings during their stop overs and lack of space ??? Not for every situation wearing a colourful Hawaiian shirt is the adequate self presentation. So how to fold a suit without getting wrinkles ?

And no, by sure not what Alex Thomson is wearing... a water resistant Boss suit :-)

Suits for 10 days with formal meetings and events in just one bag ?? I didnt believe it till have seen... As mstrebe mentioned, the trick is rollin, rollin, rollin....

Great vid shown by John Chow how it goes. Very simple.

... and another way just folding which seems to be proofen by a more than 100 years old ethod...

Personally I prefer the rollin method :-) And you ?
Old 22-08-2015, 11:58   #20

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

No shower room (cabin) ?
Old 22-08-2015, 12:15   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
We removed both our hanging lockers and converted them to shelving. Everything I've ever read about hanging clothes on a boat says: DON'T DO IT because as the boat moves the clothes rub against each other and by the time you get to use them, they're worn through and useless.
Unless you fit 17 garments in 55cm wide locker. They don't float around.
Old 22-08-2015, 12:29   #22

I found helpful 2 major divides

Summer/winter clothes

Working/sailing gear v. Captain striding on the dock garments

The REAL problem?? S H O E S
Old 22-08-2015, 12:32   #23

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38

Yep, that's the solar shower. They make some larger ones specifically for boats rather than camping, but they all work the same. The only problem comes on those damp days when the sun doesn't come out.

The nice thing about the rolling method is that it works with literally everything from socks and underwear to suits. The rolls are also easily fit just about anywhere.

Another trick is to turn everything inside out before you roll it. That way if it gets a little dusty before you use, the dust isn't visible when you wear it.

We use vacuum bags all the time when we travel on airlines to avoid baggage fees by packing more into a carryon, but they really wrinkle your clothes badly, and they require the vacuum device to pack them really tight. It works when you're going to a hotel room with an iron, but doesn't work very well onboard.

Using freezer zip-locks and just pressing out the air gets you 80% of the way there for 1/100th the money and no additional carry equipment.
Old 22-08-2015, 13:06   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
No shower room (cabin) ?
The trimaran itself is the shower... :-)

No, of course not. Hot water tanks bring too much weight which is a killer for every multihull/trimaran. Not on a 40 footer. Same the energy problem for heating up the water. You need to start again and again a diesel engine to heat it. A Tri has max. 50-100 litre gasoline tank.

The trimaran I can get has no inboard engine... it was deinstalled. Instead it got an outboard motor (50-60 hp) so it can be deinstalled for regattas to reduce weight. :-)

Instead having big water tanks a Trimaran gets a water maker with a small tank of 300-500 litres max.

It has a deck shower and electric water pump... thats fine. And with an "on demand" propane heater I think, it can work very well as it has a propane stove, too. Tiny houses use such method, too.
Old 22-08-2015, 13:07   #25

So far, I think everybody's right - get rid of as much as you can, roll/fold what you use the most and vacuum seal the rest. A few more tips:
1. if you need to look nice/professional - ie no shorts or yoga pants - hang up the clothes the night before and spray them with water. They should be fine in the morning. Works on cotton, thin linen and rayon - dump anything that doesn't respond.
2. Put cheap dryer sheets in with your clothes - they absorb moisture, so replace when they get limp.
3.as a liveaboard, you'll prob. be doing laundry in laundromats, which really trash your clothes. Quandry - buy cheap and replace or buy better quality and avoid the dryers, thus living w/a bunch of wet stuff overnight? I end up doing a bit of both.
4. You'll get over the fashion thing. I dumped lots of linen, some lovely riding boots and a drop-dead gorgeous leather skirt when I moved on a boat, don't even miss them one bit. Living aboard is so worth it. The longer you do it, the less you'll worry about this. Really. Do keep any cute tees and the yoga pants that make your butt look good.
Old 22-08-2015, 13:14   #26

Think Jay will miss his leather skirt?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 13:16   #27

Forgot my best fashion tip: great sunglasses and that insouciant - "I live on a boat, I'll do what I want" attitude.
Old 23-08-2015, 05:22   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talelajo View Post
A few more tips:
... 4. You'll get over the fashion thing. I dumped lots of linen, some lovely riding boots and a drop-dead gorgeous leather skirt when I moved on a boat, don't even miss them one bit. Living aboard is so worth it. The longer you do it, the less you'll worry about this. Really. Do keep any cute tees and the yoga pants that make your butt look good.
Tks for all the tips and critical thinking, Talelajo. I suppose, you hit the nail on the head.

After living on land (probably too long for more than 1 1/2 decade) I am spoilt by that "fashion thing"... and probably the expectations from others. Not that I run every Saturday into a shopping mall to buy clothes. But people living on land take lots of care how they look. And if one lives in a big city as I do with nearby 2 million this thinking is present everywhere. And as I am settled for now in one of the most rich European countries it's omni-present.

It feels great to get all the input... as I get remembered the real spirit of boat people. What counts is skills (and not talking) even its about "cloth storage". What counts is the boat (its substance and well maintained condition to have a safe time on high seas) and its professionally handling and maintenance.

All that crap we are spoilt daily on land unconciously by TV and street advertising, with an egocentric habit of selfishness to be (or to become) this or that, let get one a foggy thinking in brain not seeing what is relevant. I always loved the "simplifying life" on a boat. Reduced to the real essense of surviving safely (and hereby enjoying the time under sails).
But fairly no need for self lying. Boat people are selfish in their own way, too. Its kind of egoistically too to buy or build a boat and to live a life on high seas, far away from all that skinky noise we experience mostly on land in the steadily growing mega cities. Kind of escape maybe. But so it is and its OK.

All your comments helped me a lot to get a clear mind over weekend. The boat I get the chance to buy is this one you see in the video... I must make soon a decision as the owner has the urgent need to sell it because of health issues (sadly).

Still some small details must be cleared with the broker/owner... but in tendency I would say: the problem "lack of space on a racing trimaran" can be handled. At least with compromises to enjoy and get the benefit from what a Trimaran makes it: speed and potential distances of 280-410 nm / 24 h.

Not to forget: there is still the option to sell the boat in 2-3 years and buy a bigger trimaran. (Rec.: The draft for a 72 foot Tri is already done which would be the "non plus ultra", the perfect solution. But thats another story and too early for now to talk in details about.)

There is a saying: Better start now (and small) than never and waiting forever. I have a good feeling with a 40 Foot Trimaran, its the right size to start from. A 50 foot Trimaran would already be too big (and the racing versions are in a very different range of budget.)
Attached Files
Old 23-08-2015, 05:39   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Think Jay will miss his leather skirt?
Stu, I have a leather jacket... but i use it rarely...

Personally I prefer a so called "Marine Colani", you know ?? Beautiful... very classy.. I have one since more than 20 years... The original is very thick "Sail cotton" textile in marine blue. Chique for young and elder generations both...

In Europe we can buy such original Marine cloth in "military shops"... very cheaply but brand new at a prize of only 60-80 Euros.

I think, in US they call it Navy Pea Coat and look little bit different.On Ebay its available.

Its a very robust material, keeps outside the wind and rain (and cold). Timeless elegance (maybe with a little bit touch of vintage).
Old 23-08-2015, 08:43   #30

Ah, the stunning navy pea coat issue. It is cool. Mine was this cool canvas jacket w/a beautiful drape. It kept me warm, so I needed it right? Well no. It took up too much room and looked awful wrinkled. It's gone, squashable fleece/pile rules. And - this is key - it was no sacrifice when the time came.
Living aboard will change your life. It will change how you think about clothes, work, yourself, comfort. What is necessary, what is not. The gorgeous silk jackets I wore to court were "necessary" then - I needed to look credible. Now I need pants with zippered pockets and a hat that won't blow overboard.
You are in transition, that's all. Some of this will seem like sacrifices - wait until you deal w/ a tiny galley and minimal refrigeration. I'll spare you the details in case you're a foodie - you'd be curled up in a fetal position- and I hope you do get the trimaran.
If you do, if you do live on board for awhile, you will proablyb also change your thinking and understand that sailing is not selfish, being happy is not selfish, and that setting the example of living life on your terms and taking responsibility for that choice is in fact honorable.

Tags
racing, trimaran

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: