Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 12:23   #31

Re: How to speed up a Snowgoose?

Greg - thanks for the advice - I had not even considered the difference in mono and multi masts - and from what you and everyone else has said the bigger rig seems like a bad idea anyway - a lighter boat and a smooth bottom and a bigger main seem the first things to look at... (Prout went bust years ago by the way so can't ask them for any help - and the boat is 37 years old so its unlikely the designers are still alive even)

As I said she'll do 6 knots all day long in 12-14 of wind on a reach and 7 in 15-18 which is fine (waterline length is only 31 feet) under genoa and skinny main and 9 downwind under spinnaker - its not so much that she suffers anywhere in particular (though light winds forward of 120 degrees are a problem with the symmetric ) its just that after my first and only sail in a mono where 15 knots wind on the beam translated to 8.5 knots I wanted to try and get more. The mono in question was a 40 foot and a much taller mast so its not at all like for like but it set me wondering how I could make mine faster.

If I'm honest I find long passages very boring so shaving a few hours off makes a difference - we did 160 miles across Biscay this year in 25 hours which was an average 6.5 knots and I was quite pleased with that and achieved the same down the west coast of Portugal despite big swells - but at 9 knots that would have been under 18 hours - meaning a proper nights sleep for example. And next winter when we hop across the Atlantic it may mean several days saved. So its not that there's a problem with the Prout its just I'd like a bit more - and even with solar panels and watermaker and so on for cruising and a full refit of everything like wiring, plumbing, rigging, engine etc(all done by me) last winter she only owes me $70K US (£45K Sterling) so jumping up to a Lagoon 380 or some such is a $250K jump so not really a plan!
Snowgoose35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:35   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowgoose35 View Post
Greg - thanks for the advice - I had not even considered the difference in mono and multi masts - and from what you and everyone else has said the bigger rig seems like a bad idea anyway - a lighter boat and a smooth bottom and a bigger main seem the first things to look at... (Prout went bust years ago by the way so can't ask them for any help - and the boat is 37 years old so its unlikely the designers are still alive even)

As I said she'll do 6 knots all day long in 12-14 of wind on a reach and 7 in 15-18 which is fine (waterline length is only 31 feet) under genoa and skinny main and 9 downwind under spinnaker - its not so much that she suffers anywhere in particular (though light winds forward of 120 degrees are a problem with the symmetric ) its just that after my first and only sail in a mono where 15 knots wind on the beam translated to 8.5 knots I wanted to try and get more. The mono in question was a 40 foot and a much taller mast so its not at all like for like but it set me wondering how I could make mine faster.

If I'm honest I find long passages very boring so shaving a few hours off makes a difference - we did 160 miles across Biscay this year in 25 hours which was an average 6.5 knots and I was quite pleased with that and achieved the same down the west coast of Portugal despite big swells - but at 9 knots that would have been under 18 hours - meaning a proper nights sleep for example. And next winter when we hop across the Atlantic it may mean several days saved. So its not that there's a problem with the Prout its just I'd like a bit more - and even with solar panels and watermaker and so on for cruising and a full refit of everything like wiring, plumbing, rigging, engine etc(all done by me) last winter she only owes me $70K US (£45K Sterling) so jumping up to a Lagoon 380 or some such is a $250K jump so not really a plan!
Given the hull design. cruising weight and sail config, your on the best there is now.

Im not a Prout lover but have studied the Catamarans of that era a lot..... It is what it is.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:47   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

be happy with 150 miles a day!

once upon a time there was a tourist who saw a Polynesian holding his baby pig up to a pandanamus tree to feed.

the tourist remarked to the Polynesian "Why don't you cut some leaves off and feed them to the pig,it will save so much time?"

the polynesian replied "But what is time to a pig?"
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:48   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
be happy with 150 miles a day!

once upon a time there was a tourist who saw a Polynesian holding his baby pig up to a pandanamus tree to feed.

the tourist remarked to the Polynesian "Why don't you cut some leaves off and feed them to the pig,it will save so much time?"

the polynesian replied "But what is time to a pig?"
+1
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:52   #35
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

One reason for larger mains on cats is the reef-for-gusts mentality; it is easier to feather and acuratly control heel with the main then with a large genoa. A genoa does not feather, and it is difficult to lower the traveler (change jib lead) to maintain a flat sail. Easing the sheet on a head sail in a blow is what you do NOT want to do. Beach cats can fly a hull all day, something that would not be possible with control using a prout rig.

Prout rigging is designed for conservative sailing, at least close to the weather. Off the wind, big headsails rule.

--

Lots of good advise. As for the inevitability of weight gain while cruising, I don't think I agree. Folks hike for thousands of miles with just a pack and occasion re-supply stops. You can control the gain, though not entirely prevent it.
Old 03-10-2014, 13:20   #36

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

This has been an interesting thread for me, for I am a dreaded monohullist, As I like to sail a responsive boat, I can easily empathize with the wish for more speed and more "fun". The part I didn't get, is why is the OP comparing a 35 foot cat's performance to the performance of a a 37 ft. then a 40 ft. mono? Especially if his cat is of a lot older design, and apparently is quite competent at what it was intended to do?

Aside from that, new sails always help performance, if such is indicated. ...and boats always like nice presents. Besides, 160 mi. days in a boat with a 30 ft. waterline ain't bad!

Ann
Old 03-10-2014, 13:33   #37

Ann, its no so much comparing the performance - I'd never sailed a mono before the 40ft and was so impressed at how well it went it just made me wish for more ...

I only started sailing last year so its all a bit new to me and I only really know my boat - I've done a a week on a Broadblue 435 and another week crewing a 345 and even a couple of delivery runs with a Rapier 400 and a Catana 40 but all seems very similar in speed and acceleration despite being between 35 and 42 feet and having different rigs and styles - the Oceanis 40 mono however just seemed to fly the second the sails went up.. though the skipper was a novice and the boat not the best maintained so its always possible the instruments were wrong and it wasn't doing 9 knots in 15knots of wind on the beam ...
Old 03-10-2014, 13:40   #38
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How to speed up a Snowgoose?

Which way was the tide running... I've done 13kts SOG in a Hurley 22 coming from Guernsey up to Cherbourg...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 13:51   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
There's your problem. You should be doing hull speed or above on a reach with a cat. The big roach is super important.. Convert your mast to a non furling and get a full batten main! or at least one with a sizeable roach and regular battens. Caveat: I don't really know Prouts... but generally to have a fast cat you need a big roach... is my understanding...
Prouts have an aft stepped mast (cutter rigged) with backstays. They don't do large roaches, the drive comes from the headsails.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 13:54   #40

We saw 12knots on the Lagoon 42 quite a few times. 8.5-10 was common. That boat would fly on a reach. I would not be happy with a cat at 6.5 on a reach. BTW this boat was loaded with everything that a Passport 47 mono had and was down 5" on the waterline on the Passport.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 13:54   #41
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I'd doubt 9 K with 15k of wind, seriously doubt it with only white sails unless tide effected but I guess you're way past Gibraltar now
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 14:24   #42

No tide at play as we did it out and back (so 180 degrees different directions) over 25 minutes ...
Yes Rob, in Cartagena now and loving it here - though we did arrive just in time for the first rain in 12 months!
Old 03-10-2014, 14:45   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
No tide at play as we did it out and back (so 180 degrees different directions) over 25 minutes ...
Yes Rob, in Cartagena now and loving it here - though we did arrive just in time for the first rain in 12 months!
best thing you can do is lighten the boat if you want more speed.

thread drift but

if you are in Cartagena,give john snow a call, great guy and a mine of information he has set up a yacht help company there,and will do airport runs etc.
he is the guy to talk to if you want to make mods on the boat.

Welcome to "one stop yacht care" Based, Cartagena, Spain.(+34)659 3232 43 - English

.(+34)659 3232 43

cheers alex
Old 03-10-2014, 15:05   #44

Alex, thanks, I've already met John and Jenny and he's doing some carpentry for me - I try to do everything on the boat myself but I don't do wood...

Interestingly John though bulb bows like his Dean Cat might speed up the Snoowgoose - increasing the waterline length etc - though my googling suggests otherwise - but anyway, a really nice guy and clearly very experienced
Old 03-10-2014, 15:21   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Alex, thanks, I've already met John and Jenny and he's doing some carpentry for me - I try to do everything on the boat myself but I don't do wood...

Interestingly John though bulb bows like his Dean Cat might speed up the Snoowgoose - increasing the waterline length etc - though my googling suggests otherwise - but anyway, a really nice guy and clearly very experienced
yes he definitely knows his stuff,the bulbs on the front might make a difference,though most prouts ive seem could do with more bouyancy in the stern,so lenthening there might be the better option!

tell john alex bond says hi, I was there on a cat recently and had work done by him.