Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2016, 14:05   #1

Boat: Hunter 36
How to estimate the real base price of a new boat?

Most boat builders or dealers don't put the true price out there. I suppose I have to come in person and sit down to get an estimate, which is time consuming. I would at least like a ballpark estimate, to know if I'm just going to waste my time or not. For just one example of how frustrating this is, let's look at the Dragonfly 32.

Here are two articles, one by Cruising World, the other by Sail magazine, and they are written only 20 days apart.

CW's estimate for the boat is $350,000 base price.
Dragonfly 32 | Cruising World

Sail's estimate is $230,000.
Boat Review: Dragonfly 32 - Sail Magazine

That's a whopping $120,000 difference!! (and we are only talking about base prices). 120K is a make or break difference for me. They can't both be right. So what's a good way to get a true estimate?
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 14:07   #2

Re: How to estimate the real base price of a new boat?

Spend the time?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 14:16   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

A reputable and decent manufacturer will provide a documented price for a boat. I know of at least two manufacturers that will.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 14:29   #4

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

email a dealer of the brand you are interested in and tell them what you are loking for.
If they can't get you price list, tell them to get lost and try the next.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 14:36   #5

In the olden days, Catalina used to publish a price list. Pretty straightforward, with all the options listed, too. This was in the mid-80s. Even as late as 2005, they'd list all the stuff and the base price of that boat, then all the options with prices next to them. Don't know what they're doing now, but as suggested, call a few dealers. That would take up your time. Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 14:40   #6

Boat: Comet 41s

All boat brands have a policy to advertise the price of the boat at shipyard without taxes and with a minimum of equipment and that equipment varies from boat to boat so I understand your problem.

If you send an email to a dealer he will send you the standard boat price and detailed price of extras but I agree that it is time consuming to do all the work to see the real price of the boat.

A good alternative is the prices on the magazine Yacht.de (that you can find on line). They have a huge list of tested boats and they have a policy to publish boat prices equipped the same way, what they consider a minimum decently equipped boat, so the prices you see there (on tested boats) regards boats equipped the same way and you can compare directly prices. I am talking only about prices of tested boats, not prices regarding new boat presentations that have prices given by the manufacturer.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 15:14   #7

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

14 Dragonfly dealers and no one will give you a price?

I had 5 dealers for my boat and everyone of them gave me a price quote by e-mail.

Its all about the homework when buying a boat.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 16:34   #8

Boat: Camano Troll

If you're seriously considering spending $300K on a new boat, I wouldn't think that calling, emailing, or even visiting dealers would be too much trouble.

It doesn't really matter what a magazine says the price is, what's important is what a dealer is willing and able to sell it to you for.
Old 27-05-2016, 18:02   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
Most boat builders or dealers don't put the true price out there. I suppose I have to come in person and sit down to get an estimate, which is time consuming. I would at least like a ballpark estimate, to know if I'm just going to waste my time or not. For just one example of how frustrating this is, let's look at the Dragonfly 32.

Here are two articles, one by Cruising World, the other by Sail magazine, and they are written only 20 days apart.

That's a whopping $120,000 difference!! (and we are only talking about base prices). 120K is a make or break difference for me. They can't both be right. So what's a good way to get a true estimate?
Part of your issue is that those are not the same boats. One is the Touring the other is the Supreme. The basic difference is that the Supreme has a much bigger carbon rig, North 3di sails, and is rigged already for racing, the base price includes these differences.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 19:02   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Part of your issue is that those are not the same boats. One is the Touring the other is the Supreme. The basic difference is that the Supreme has a much bigger carbon rig, North 3di sails, and is rigged already for racing, the base price includes these differences.
So, in this case the universal advice to "RTFM" is interpreted as "read the F... magazine".

Good catch, Greg!

Jim
Old 28-05-2016, 05:14   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
14 Dragonfly dealers and no one will give you a price?

I had 5 dealers for my boat and everyone of them gave me a price quote by e-mail.

Its all about the homework when buying a boat.
The Dragonfly is just one example of boats I am still considering. Yes, you are right, I could simply call them, and a I probably will. But before calling 10 or so dealers and wasting my time and theirs, I just want to know first if a deal is even a possibility.

There are some companies that publish their prices lists openly - Bavaria is one. I know that prices change, of course, as well as the exchange rate with the Euro.
Old 28-05-2016, 05:23   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post

Thanks, good catch. You may be right, although the article could be more clear what version the base price refers to. And that's one hell of an expensive upgrade - nearly 50% price increase!

I have had "sticker shock" before, and just want to avoid that if possible. One boat I won't name was under 400K base price, according to magazine reviews. When I spoke to the representative at the boat show, the price for that display model, as equipped, was over 700K! Way too rich for my blood at this point, unless I wait until I'm 90.
Old 28-05-2016, 06:44   #13

Quote:
Yes, you are right, I could simply call them, and a I probably will. But before calling 10 or so dealers and wasting my time and theirs,
Don't be so considerate. They sell a product you might want to buy. Why on earth would you be reluctant to ask them what the darned thing costs? Call, and expect them to be immediately forthcoming with a price.

How much?!?!
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 07:13   #14

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:

It can be in the options, it can be in the FX rates (or is Dragonfly built in the US now?). It can be anything else (look up the dates on the features).

You want a ballpark figure, add the extremes and divide by two.

You want an accurate figure, ask the dealer for a quote.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 10:21   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Thanks, good catch. You may be right, although the article could be more clear what version the base price refers to. And that's one hell of an expensive upgrade - nearly 50% price increase!

I have had "sticker shock" before, and just want to avoid that if possible. One boat I won't name was under 400K base price, according to magazine reviews. When I spoke to the representative at the boat show, the price for that display model, as equipped, was over 700K! Way too rich for my blood at this point, unless I wait until I'm 90.
Agreed, the article isn't terribly clear about it.

Personally so long as you are legitimately interested in the boat I would feel no qualms about calling the dealer and taking up their time. It's what they do, and even if you turn out to not be in the market for this boat, they may know of a one year old used boat that isn't quite on the market. Boat brokers are a lot like real estate agents, they know they won't close every contact, it's part of the business model.

Heck I have gotten a ride on some pretty expensive boats by calling brokers and saying something to the effect of "I am not in the market for X, but I am interested in seeing it, would you be willing to show it to me?' Even knowing I am not buying most brokers have been happy to take an hour and show me their boat.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
price