Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2014, 08:30   #31

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
Re: How to "do" a boat show (for "first-timers")?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Here's some advice from a vendor. I've been working the shows for years and will be at the Annapolis show again this year, Ft Lauderdale, Miami and St.Pete. I would disregard the advice not to go to the vendors booths and asking all the question you want to regardless if you are buying or not. First, most of the vendors are usually boaters who have a lot of water time under their belts, it's usually what led them to be in the industry. So there is a vast amount of knowledge in those tents. Dress how you want, vendors know there's not much difference just as well as you do. In fact if pressed I'd say we prefer the dressed down crowd. Exaggerated pretentiousness really doesn't impress us anymore than it impresses you. Those who really have it rarely flaunt it and those who flaunt it rarely have it. Every person that walks into my booth is certainly looked at as a potential customer not a potential mark. This is how I pay my bills and keep a kid in college so I do like to make sales just like you do in your job. But here's the thing, I know fully well that the vast majority of people are just looking, curious, tire kickers, and that the vast majority are not going to buy. But I also know because I was on the other side of the booth many moons ago that people might come to multiple boat shows over the years, long before they make the decision to buy a boat or boat systems. I know they remember those that answered all their questions over the years when they were not ready to buy and those that blew them off. It's not unusual at all that I have the same people year after year come by and ask questions again and again. It doesn't bother me one bit. Many of those people have come by the third or fourth year saying I'm finally ready, some never will. We know that buying a boat for most people is usually a years long process. Stop by the vendors booths, often, take advantage of their freely given knowledge. This is the time to ask all the questions you have and possibly more importantly, discover some new questions you should be asking.

AWESOME perspective!!!! thank you!!
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 19:17   #32

Boat: Leopard 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
I will also be at Annapolis....

4. The prices are going to be staggering. Ignore them! seriously! We were one of the folks who did actually sit down with one of those "charter/own" folks I told you about above. I heard a lot of "blah blah blah".. but there were 2 figures that stuck in my head.. the first was $750,000. Which was the price of the boat we were looking at. The second was somewhere around the $450,000 mark. That was how much the Cat would be worth by the time it came out of charter 5-7 years down the line. This is a wonderful lesson, so listen very closely... LOOK TO SEE WHAT KIND OF BOAT YOU LIKE.. AND WHAT FEATURES YOU WANT.. THEN.. BUY ONE USED!!!!!!
Scarlet, I always enjoy your posts because we seem to have similar viewpoints. But in your recent post you forgot to include the aproximate $240,000 in income over the course of the 5-7 year charter. I am not advocating a new charter purchase (I bought used), but the income is an important factor to include in the math.
Old 08-10-2014, 20:19   #33

I'll be there too. It's an awesome show!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
ttpoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 16:54   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNLandLoc View Post
Scarlet, I always enjoy your posts because we seem to have similar viewpoints. But in your recent post you forgot to include the aproximate $240,000 in income over the course of the 5-7 year charter. I am not advocating a new charter purchase (I bought used), but the income is an important factor to include in the math.
I'm glad you said that. We actually talked (got suckered) into hearing "the plan" again, at Annapolis. There are still some problems that I just can't seem to get past...

1. the catamaran company will NOT guarantee the number of charter weeks you may get... you may get 26 weeks of charter.. or you may get none... no one will guarantee that.

2. the $240,000 in income does not make up for the payments + interest you pay for that 5-7 years.

3. The tax write off is only good if you make enough money to itemize...

4. at the end of the 5-7 years, you will have a "charter boat"... Where, I.. personally, would prefer to buy a privately owned catamaran that was well maintained.

5. you always hear of dealers talking about how great this is.. but, in the last year, I've rarely, if ever, heard an "owner" talk about what an amazing and profitable investment it is...

I'm always very leery of deals that seem "too good to be true".. and this is one of them.
Old 13-10-2014, 17:07   #35
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Time shares look great on paper also...
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 17:11   #36

Boat: Leopard 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
I'm glad you said that. We actually talked (got suckered) into hearing "the plan" again, at Annapolis. There are still some problems that I just can't seem to get past...

<stuff deleted>...

I'm always very leery of deals that seem "too good to be true".. and this is one of them.
Scarlett - I don't want to hijack this thread and this topic has been discussed often. I will send you a private note with some additional info...
Old 13-10-2014, 17:27   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Time shares look great on paper also...
yup! and yet they are the worst investment you can make...

Tags
boat show