Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2012, 15:00   #1

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
How to Adjust Rudder Alignment

Had the boat hauled for bottom job etc, yard guy grabs a rudder to straighten it out to see something, I didnt realize what he was doing (had back turned) heard a horrid sound and turned in time to see him forcing the rudder over when I yelled STOP!, I have hydraulic steering and it does not move the wheel if you try to turn a rudder, now we have rudders way out of alignmnment by several inches. Went back today and Great its turned way back to the other way so they could paint above it, Causing the rudder to hang even lower and now out of alignment the other way. .
I am pretty sure the rudder post turned where it is clamped down into the lock bar, which tightens with a large nut and bolt,
I am sure we can loosen it and turn the rudder, but curious should the leading and trailing edges of the rudder be dead even or Toed in or out at all?
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 15:35   #2

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: How to adjust rudder alignment

The leading and trailing edges of the rudder should be dead even.
1) Measure top and bottom on the trailing edge first. Make them all the same measurement.
2) Measure top and bottom on the leading edge last. Make them all the same measurement.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 15:56   #3

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Unless you're going to fly a hull, then you want to toe in the trailing edges a microsuckle
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 17:58   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Geez, who was this guy the "Incredible Hulk"?

Before I spent my time on the job I would have a serious chat with yard manager...and then be there to supervise.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 19:11   #5

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

On my list of things to do is "Get rid of the damn hydraulic steering".
And I only have one rudder!
Old 23-08-2012, 04:07   #6

Belize Funny you mention the mgr... more later on this debacle. I have a friend in Belize at Oh Baby Charters. Not sire if u know him he's a good guy! Mike why not on hydraulic steering? They originally came with push pull that was very difficult to use and maintain.
Thanks everyone for the info!
Old 23-08-2012, 05:50   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: How to Adjust Rudder Alignment

There is nothing wrong with having a good hydraulic steering system.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 06:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Belize Funny you mention the mgr... more later on this debacle. I have a friend in Belize at Oh Baby Charters. Not sire if u know him he's a good guy! Mike why not on hydraulic steering? They originally came with push pull that was very difficult to use and maintain.
Thanks everyone for the info!
Well, yes that assumes of course you have decent yard manager/owner and just a bone-head employee. If not, then such a conversation could just be a frustrating waste of time.

Learn something every day: Never heard of "Oh Baby Charters". Assumed it was just some gringo running illegal charters. Looked it up on the web. Turns out I know the boat and the captain quite well (initials are CW). CW is a very good friend of mine. Great guy. Not sure how the "Oh Baby..." thing came about, but it is not the name under which they usually operate their little fleet. An artifact from the boat owner I assume since it is specific to the one boat. I captain charters for them sometimes.
Old 23-08-2012, 06:43   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
... Mike why not on hydraulic steering? They originally came with push pull that was very difficult to use and maintain.
My 2c on hydraulic steering: my experiences with hydraulic steering have been good overall, but I know others who have had issues. For some installations its really the only viable option. Hydro systems do require a little maintenance and attention (other steering systems should probably get more than they do) and sometimes weep a little fluid, but a properly installed system works quite well and is very serviceable. Many systems I have seen with problems relate back to installation issues.

If I had my choice of steering systems on a cat it would be a very basic mechanical system, with an exposed metal tie bar -- so I could just grab it steer if I needed to, but not viable for many installations (esp larger cruising cats).
Old 23-08-2012, 07:26   #10

Hyd steering is the sailing version of the 1965 Buick Roadmaster steering. Works great, has 0, zip, nada, nothing for feel..

each to his own said the man as he kissed the cow

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 08:18   #11

If I had my choice of steering systems on a cat it would be a very basic mechanical system, with an exposed metal tie bar -- so I could just grab it steer if I needed to, but not viable for many installations (esp larger cruising cats).[/QUOTE]

Ours has the long metal tie bar connected in the middle m and it can be easily disconnected from the hydraulic cylinder to use with a manual tiller just by pulling two pins out.

Works great, just sucks when some tries to force a rudder over.
Old 23-08-2012, 08:31   #12

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

This doesn't make sense to me. You can't guarantee that the two rudders will see equal loads in the water. If the rudders can come out of alignment by the load exerted by someone pushing on it, then I think normal use in the water will definitely put your rudders out of alignment. I think something is wrong with your system. I know hydraulics get out of alignment, there's no way to prevent minor slippage that builds up over time, but this isn't the same thing.

JOhn
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 08:37   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
This doesn't make sense to me. You can't guarantee that the two rudders will see equal loads in the water. If the rudders can come out of alignment by the load exerted by someone pushing on it, then I think normal use in the water will definitely put your rudders out of alignment. I think something is wrong with your system. I know hydraulics get out of alignment, there's no way to prevent minor slippage that builds up over time, but this isn't the same thing.

JOhn
Sounds like maybe the fitting at the top of the rudder post slipped somehow? I don't think anyone of normal human strength could move my rudders against the resistance of the steering rams. I've put strong pressure against mine just checking out the system when hauled and they have never budged an inch.

If so, maybe good the guy did give it a shove.
Old 23-08-2012, 09:43   #14

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
The leading and trailing edges of the rudder should be dead even.
1) Measure top and bottom on the trailing edge first. Make them all the same measurement.
2) Measure top and bottom on the leading edge last. Make them all the same measurement.

--but not necessarily parallel fore and aft.
In the 70s I regularly sailed a 48ft x 19ft plywood cat with assymetrical waterline plane hull shape (aircraft aerofoil shape, with the "wing bottom" side outboard), designed by Paul Lindenberg, that had toed in rudders and tillers shaped for Ackermann principle geometry.

Jus sayin.
Old 23-08-2012, 13:41   #15

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
--but not necessarily parallel fore and aft.
In the 70s I regularly sailed a 48ft x 19ft plywood cat with assymetrical waterline plane hull shape (aircraft aerofoil shape, with the "wing bottom" side outboard), designed by Paul Lindenberg, that had toed in rudders and tillers shaped for Ackermann principle geometry.

Jus sayin.
Ackerman angles can only be set on rudders that are physically tied to each other by a tie-bar. The angle is set for turning by offsetting the tiller bar connection on the rudder post - not toeing in the rudders on centerline. Toe in will result in drag with no benefit in turning.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rudder