Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2015, 15:55   #31

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: How Hard Is It To Sell Your Own Boat?

Plain boats sell very well given the right price.

List it on yacht wold to get max web exposure.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 18:59   #32

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I am on my 8th sailboat. I have bought and sold every one of them privately. My current boat, a Pearson30 is for sale right now.

In my experience, the more expensive the boat, the easier it is to sell.

Cheap boats are plentiful, and low end buyers are looking for the best bang for their buck, the biggest bargain. But high end boats are a great value compared to buying new, and are harder to find used.

When I sold my Hunter Legend 35.5 (for $100k+) I had one small ad in "boat for sale" magazine, and one guy answered the ad, and he bought it.

For the "cheap" boats I've sold...Tanzer 22, C&C27mk2, cal25, I had lots of tirekickers and people who knew nothing about sailing come to see. They sold on price, not features.

I say give it try. It won't hurt your chances if you find you want to go with a broker later.

Some suggestion:

-Be polite, open and honest.

-Post a ton of pictures (onedrive online is good for that).

-Post some youtube videos of the boat in action, and a tour.

-Post your boat for sale on as many sites as you can, and don't forget about bulletin boards at your local marinas and yacht clubs.

Here's some of my stuff as example if you are interested:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details....dId=1098542265

http://1drv.ms/1CrbSlc

https://youtu.be/bDssMt3Eb9Q

One final note...I sold most of my boats in August, late season here in Canada. I think people take some sailing lessons, and forget that we have winter. BTW, the C&C25 in the video above sold in 2 weeks for a very good price, and it was mid August. However, my current boat has been for sale all summer. I've had half a dozen veiwings, but no offers. There really is one feature that outweighs all others....PRICE.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 19:03   #33

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

Any successes by anyone on ebay?
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 19:35   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderluster View Post
Most don't want the hassle of setting up showings for people who never show, can't possibly afford the boat if they do show, or want the seller to finance. Those who are brave enough to try usually call me after several months and ask me to help them find a buyer.
You are so right! I've had people say they were coming, like for sure, with a specified time, etc...and no show, no phone call, no nothing. Jerks. My current boat is for sale, and I have had several "buyers" come who know nothing about boats and have no intention of buying...they just want to be treated nice and get a free tour of a yacht. And I've had a couple more who just love the boat, but actually have no money.

So what do I do with these "tirekickers"? I usually take them out for a sail and we have a tremendous time. Hah! Not what you expected was it!!!!

My boat, however, remains for sale at a fall bargain price.
Old 10-09-2015, 19:38   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailsout View Post
I posted one of my boats on ebay, with a high starting bid. I did this more to advertise the boat than actually expecting to get any bids. So no bids. Also, ebay is not free...check out the fees before you list...especially if you take a deposit via paypal. If you have a feedback score of zero, no one will bid no matter what.

I do however follow ebay sailboats for sale...some really great deals. Also many scammers...beware!
Old 10-09-2015, 20:38   #36

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lucia

Hi Miss Catana,

I am in the early stages of searching and buying a 40-45 foot cat. I like the idea of listing your Cat yourself or at least putting it out there. The final documentation and legal papers can be completed using lawyers. You may also be able to use the services of a broker to assist in completing the sale for a flat fee.

Good luck and I hope to see your Catana 42 for sale.

Robert
Maple Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 20:56   #37
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Iike everything in life, you get what you pay for.
I just don't buy that line when it comes to boat brokers...not in the world of the internet.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 21:38   #38
Marine Service Provider

BUYING a boat WITHOUT a broker has a higher RISK associated than with selling.

When you are selling it's easy. When the money is in your hand, be it cash or cleared funds, the boat can leave.

When you are buying, the tables are turned and you need to do whatever you can do to protect yourself in this regard, particularly around your deposit.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:30   #39
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
BUYING a boat WITHOUT a broker has a higher RISK associated than with selling.

When you are selling it's easy. When the money is in your hand, be it cash or cleared funds, the boat can leave.

When you are buying, the tables are turned and you need to do whatever you can do to protect yourself in this regard, particularly around your deposit.

Not always true. It took me over 3 months to get my deposit back from a broker after the seller wouldn't accept my offer. This included hiring a lawyer, complaining to the brokerage association, who by the way are useless, and finally threats. It was paid of a few thousand at a time. This would be one case where having a sellers broker close by would be an advantage.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:37   #40
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Not always true. It took me over 3 months to get my deposit back from a broker after the seller wouldn't accept my offer. This included hiring a lawyer, complaining to the brokerage association, who by the way are useless, and finally threats. It was paid of a few thousand at a time. This would be one case where having a sellers broker close by would be an advantage.

After reviewing what I typed I would have to agree with ausaviator, but i guess my point is it's not a fool proof system. Buying through an owner the deposit from my experience has usually been quite a bit lower than through a broker, about 1% or maybe $1,000 verses 10%. A lot less to loose should something go south.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:38   #41

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailsout View Post
My wife just dodged a bullet. She was hot on a Call 35 on ebay. I told her all my objections to ebay boats and, when she got hold of a survey ,found a ton of issues that had not been addressed. A couple years ago, she bought a beautiful brass ship's striking clock on ebay for $200. I had to pay $380 for a new movement. Pig in a poke. No,never found anything except people getting rid of worn out defective crap on ebay.
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:50   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
After reviewing what I typed I would have to agree with ausaviator, but i guess my point is it's not a fool proof system. Buying through an owner the deposit from my experience has usually been quite a bit lower than through a broker, about 1% or maybe $1,000 verses 10%. A lot less to loose should something go south.
In selling 7 sailboats, I never accepted a deposit. We shook hands and signed a note. My feeling is that if he doesn't want to buy the boat, I'm not going to force him just because he gave a deposit. In a private sale, there has to be some trust between buyer and seller. By waiving the deposit, it builds trust. I will admit though, that last time the seller was very late on the closing day...like 8 hours late...and I was wondering if he was going to bale. He showed up eventually though, cash in hand.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:53   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

b.
Can't do that without a broker.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:54   #44
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
In selling 7 sailboats, I never accepted a deposit. We shook hands and signed a note. My feeling is that if he doesn't want to buy the boat, I'm not going to force him just because he gave a deposit. In a private sale, there has to be some trust between buyer and seller. By waiving the deposit, it builds trust. I will admit though, that last time the seller was very late on the closing day...like 8 hours late...and I was wondering if he was going to bale. He showed up eventually though, cash in hand.

I agree, but in my experience it's the buyers that insist on a deposit as it creates a binding contract. We have accepted a $100.00 deposit on a $100,000+ boat because it made the buyer feel more secure about the contract.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:02   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Plain boats sell very well given the right price.

b.
In my area (Canadian side of Lake Ontario) Kijiji is the place to list boats. My current kijiji ad has yielded over 20 replies and 6 viewings. However, the boat is not sold, so maybe I'm missing something.