Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2017, 12:48   #61
Registered User
 
Cadence's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SC
Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Posts: 5,809
Re: How fast do sailing catamarans motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Gemini 105mc does 7 knots, constant average at 2500 RPM on the Westerbeke 27 HP diesel at 3/4 gallons an hour, USA Gallons,

Thats loaded to the hilt and the plimsol line 2 inches below the waterline,

8 knots at 3000 RPM flat stick, Against an out going tide, GPS, It was doing 1.5 knots,
It takes 3 knots to make the Gemini sail with only a Genoa up.

Its about 3 knots under wind speed till it gets to about 12 knots, Then I keep it under that, 6 to 9 knots is comfortable,

Over 12 knots, The Gemini gets quite hairy, As in, Its moving very fast thru the water,
Single handed and in a very big ocean, I keep the knots down,
Very safe boat in very big waves,

A great write up. TY
__________________

__________________
Cadence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 16:56   #62
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 227
Re: How fast do sailing catamarans motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Gemini 105mc does 7 knots, constant average at 2500 RPM on the Westerbeke 27 HP diesel at 3/4 gallons an hour, USA Gallons,

Thats loaded to the hilt and the plimsol line 2 inches below the waterline,

8 knots at 3000 RPM flat stick, Against an out going tide, GPS, It was doing 1.5 knots,
It takes 3 knots to make the Gemini sail with only a Genoa up.

Its about 3 knots under wind speed till it gets to about 12 knots, Then I keep it under that, 6 to 9 knots is comfortable,

Over 12 knots, The Gemini gets quite hairy, As in, Its moving very fast thru the water,
Single handed and in a very big ocean, I keep the knots down,
Very safe boat in very big waves,
I think I need to clean up my hull,it has some green slime still there,& I will get my prop checked, it has a little deformed spot..maybe a problem. .I just got mine & it has been sitting a while & I will clean up hull when I get home.. it seems as though mine is a bit more sluggish than what yours is... it won't do 8 knots by motor, I guess funk on the hull & a ding in the prop could account for the difference. It might get almost 7 & the fuel is about right..thanks, I was wondering
__________________

__________________
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 18:36   #63
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne Australia
Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Posts: 1,605
Re: How fast do sailing catamarans motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Gemini 105mc does 7 knots, constant average at 2500 RPM on the Westerbeke 27 HP diesel at 3/4 gallons an hour, USA Gallons,

Thats loaded to the hilt and the plimsol line 2 inches below the waterline,

8 knots at 3000 RPM flat stick, Against an out going tide, GPS, It was doing 1.5 knots,
It takes 3 knots to make the Gemini sail with only a Genoa up.

Its about 3 knots under wind speed till it gets to about 12 knots, Then I keep it under that, 6 to 9 knots is comfortable,

Over 12 knots, The Gemini gets quite hairy, As in, Its moving very fast thru the water,
Single handed and in a very big ocean, I keep the knots down,
Very safe boat in very big waves,
It had clean Hulls as you can see,,
The first piccy i was sitting on the slipway for a week with a broken drive shaft, Bundberg Qld,
The second piccy was waiting for the tide to change at Maroochy River,
Clean hulls make all the difference to speed,
Even if its overloaded to the hilt,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat at Bundy,.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	438.2 KB
ID:	156031   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat At Maroochy,.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	402.4 KB
ID:	156032  

__________________
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 19:05   #64
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,003
Re: How fast do sailing catamarans motor?

39 foot Dragonfly 1200 tri with Volvo Penta MD 2200 59 hp: 6-7 knots when saving fuel and keeping the noise down 2500-3000 rpm, 7-8 knots when pushing 3000-3500, 8-9 knots at WOT 4000 RPM MAX.
Dragonfly also made the boat with options for a 105 hp engine, or with a 150 hp engine. A friend who had the 150 hp model would cruise above 10 knots with a top speed of 14 knots under power. The rear end would squat under that much power. It's a sailboat.
__________________
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 00:17   #65
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 101
Re: How fast do sailing catamarans motor?

Potentially a cat can motor as fast as it can sail, the limiting factor is the hull-speed as with other vessels. at a certain point you can increase power, but the speed will not go up. The speed depends on hull length and width.

But sailing catamarans are not built to race on motor, so the engines are under-powered, they are only there to fight a light tide or river current, maneuver in harbors or help during light winds.

So 6kn seems quite reasonable for them under motor.
__________________
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 00:32   #66
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,724
Re: How fast do sailing catamarans motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kita View Post
I think I need to clean up my hull,it has some green slime still there,& I will get my prop checked, it has a little deformed spot..maybe a problem. .I just got mine & it has been sitting a while & I will clean up hull when I get home.. it seems as though mine is a bit more sluggish than what yours is... it won't do 8 knots by motor, I guess funk on the hull & a ding in the prop could account for the difference. It might get almost 7 & the fuel is about right..thanks, I was wondering
You would be amazed how much difference a little growth makes.

Had a 3400 with 40hp outboard and it would do 8kts full throttle and an easy 6-6.5kt cruise at half throttle, when we first got her (fresh bottom paint).

A year or so later in the Carolinas with some growth, cruise was down to 4.5kts and top end was 7kts. Jumped in cleaned the bottom at an anchorage and speeds were back up to normal.

Later we swapped for a 25hp outboard and top speed went down to 7.5kt but cruise speed stayed about the same.
__________________
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 00:37   #67
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,724
Re: How fast do sailing catamarans motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Potentially a cat can motor as fast as it can sail, the limiting factor is the hull-speed as with other vessels. at a certain point you can increase power, but the speed will not go up. The speed depends on hull length and width.

But sailing catamarans are not built to race on motor, so the engines are under-powered, they are only there to fight a light tide or river current, maneuver in harbors or help during light winds.

So 6kn seems quite reasonable for them under motor.
This may or may not be true. 6kt in particular depends greatly on the hull design. For a 30' fat hulled cat, 6kt is a nice cruise speed but not hull speed. For a 45' performance cat, 6kt would be a slow cruise speed.

Also, most cats can outperform motor under sail. Part of it is raw power but also, you have to consider where the forces are applied.
- Under motor, the force is applied just below the water line and it tends to dig a hole resulting in the boat squatting and constantly climbing a hill. This is most pronounced as you try to push to hull speed.
- Under sail, the center of force is 15-20' above the waterline and tends to push the bows down keeping her more level partially negating the hill climbing effect.
__________________
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 04:13   #68
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 227
Re: How fast do sailing catamarans motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
It had clean Hulls as you can see,,
The first piccy i was sitting on the slipway for a week with a broken drive shaft, Bundberg Qld,
The second piccy was waiting for the tide to change at Maroochy River,
Clean hulls make all the difference to speed,
Even if its overloaded to the hilt,
What a coincidence I am sitting here with a broken I guess you could call it a drive shaft. The manufacturer called it an isolator, but it is the part between the drive leg and the engine. I guess the bolts come loose just a little bit and shook it to death. But I made 700 miles out of a 800 Mi trip
__________________
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 05:21   #69
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne Australia
Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Posts: 1,605
Re: How fast do sailing catamarans motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kita View Post
What a coincidence I am sitting here with a broken I guess you could call it a drive shaft. The manufacturer called it an isolator, but it is the part between the drive leg and the engine. I guess the bolts come loose just a little bit and shook it to death. But I made 700 miles out of a 800 Mi trip
Sorry for the thread Hijack,

You mean this little Beasty, I welded up the holes and retapped them,
I was told it came out of a Morris. Mini, which it didnt, So I wasted a week waiting for the wrecker to come back from holidays,

It went clatter clatter, Then nothing, Floating down the river, amongst all the anchored boats,
I dropped the anchor, That was great till the tide changed, A Danforth, It rolled over and got a rock stuck in the cleavis pin, Im floating down the river again, Dragging the anchor,
I caught a pile and tied off, I got the work boat from the slipway to come and get me,
This river is full of Bull Sharks, Im not going into it,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1018.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	410.9 KB
ID:	156048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat Universal Joint.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	418.6 KB
ID:	156049  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1005.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	329.0 KB
ID:	156050  
__________________
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 17:36   #70
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 227
Re: How fast do sailing catamarans motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Sorry for the thread Hijack,

You mean this little Beasty, I welded up the holes and retapped them,
I was told it came out of a Morris. Mini, which it didnt, So I wasted a week waiting for the wrecker to come back from holidays,

It went clatter clatter, Then nothing, Floating down the river, amongst all the anchored boats,
I dropped the anchor, That was great till the tide changed, A Danforth, It rolled over and got a rock stuck in the cleavis pin, Im floating down the river again, Dragging the anchor,
I caught a pile and tied off, I got the work boat from the slipway to come and get me,
This river is full of Bull Sharks, Im not going into it,
Yep that's it!
__________________
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 22:56   #71
Senior Cruiser
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,286
Images: 69
Re: How fast do sailing catamarans motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Potentially a cat can motor as fast as it can sail, the limiting factor is the hull-speed as with other vessels. at a certain point you can increase power, but the speed will not go up. The speed depends on hull length and width
Many cats are not constrained by hull speed.
__________________
"You CANNOT be serious!"


John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 22:58   #72
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 9,782
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: How fast do sailing catamarans motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Many cats are not constrained by hull speed.
This is a question I've wanted to ask for a long time. I have been told this..

How does a Cat overcome the hull effect?
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 23:46   #73
Senior Cruiser
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,286
Images: 69
Re: How fast do sailing catamarans motor?

Hull speed is basically the point where you don't have enough power to climb further up your bow wave. Boats with fine hulls like rowing sculls etc, simply don't generate much in the way of bow waves. Most cats hulls are fine enough.
__________________
"You CANNOT be serious!"


John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 23:48   #74
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 9,782
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: How fast do sailing catamarans motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Hull speed is basically the point where you don't have enough power to climb further up your bow wave. Boats with fine hulls like rowing sculls etc, simply don't generate much in the way of bow waves. Most cats hulls are fine enough.
AAh.
That explains the very blade like look of modern cruising Cat hulls.

Thanks for that.

__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 23:57   #75
Senior Cruiser
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,286
Images: 69
Re: How fast do sailing catamarans motor?

Check out the bow wave. Up to 30 knots, theoretical hull speed less than 15



https://youtu.be/yrCh8NKMXyo
__________________

__________________
"You CANNOT be serious!"


John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
catamaran, motor, sail, sailing

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How fast does a hard dinghy motor? Cap Bill Des Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy 33 10-02-2017 09:14
Fast Cruising Catamarans - How Fast ? freetime Multihull Sailboats 377 18-12-2015 11:48
fast track to sailing ~ how fast?> riderjuan Seamanship & Boat Handling 27 07-06-2014 14:29
7.5 - 8.5 Meter Fast Coastal Catamarans freetime Multihull Sailboats 3 28-06-2010 09:55


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:17.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.