Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2008, 04:01   #31

Lagoon 37 in 20-25 we were making 15-18
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 04:08   #32
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
Lagoon 37 in 20-25 we were making 15-18

That is fantastic going for a Lagoon 37, I have sailed them many times but the best was 15 knots are you sure the log reading is correct or the speed over ground ?
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 04:17   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
That is fantastic going for a Lagoon 37, I have sailed them many times but the best was 15 knots are you sure the log reading is correct or the speed over ground ?
it was my GPS speed, so I'm sure it was SOG with current
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 04:30   #34
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
it was my GPS speed, so I'm sure it was SOG with current
That is great
I need you as crew on our next race we are bound to win

Greetings
Gideon
Old 21-02-2008, 04:32   #35

Boat: FP Tobago 35
Quote:
Getting 10 knots out of 12 to 14 knots of wind speed is possible or 19 knots speed with 25 knots of wind speed , we do it often without problems and Cape Town to Miami with 10.9 knots average ?
I have seen a top of 25.9 , unfortunately no camera ready
It is possible to combine speed space safety and comfort in a cat
Greetings
Fastcat435

Is this in a cruiing boat, in cruising mode?

I had a look at the Seawing site,(Nieuwe pagina 1) a trip by one of your boats fra South Africa to Europe, I unscientifically picked a few days out of their logbook:

11/09-7.27 Am-14.551528-7.145833-60Nm
11/09-7.27 Pm-13.704028-7.8125-64Nm
12/09-7.27 Am-13.024861-8.454861-60Nm
12/09-7.27 Pm-12.145972-9.235278-72Nm

These seem to be quite typical 12 hour runs! Nowhere near your claims! Averaging 5-6 knots. In another post you claim over 10 knot average across the Atlantic.

There used to be a track of your first trip from SA to the USA on your site, but I can't find it any more, maybe its removed? As far as I remember there were very few days with even an 8 knot average.

Maybe you can direct me to this page so I can refresh my memory?

Below is the polar diagram from your website:

You claim windspeed sailing in another post. You also state that the boat (lightship weighs 4800 kgs) So for actual reallife conditions, i.e with crew and some fuel/water etc, you will never get windspeed sailing.

I like others here, apreciate all the great stuff you are doing in keeping the boats light etc. and your willingness to share this with us. Its just that these blatant discrepancies lead to, in my case, a dose scepticism and doubts.

I think this ends up having a negative effect on what is probably a good product.

Just a word of friendly advice...

Regards

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winddiagram%20website.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	2744  
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 04:52   #36
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Dear Alan

How can you compare a delivery to a customer where all is played to keep A new cat in ship shape order and with the wind on the nose most of the time with a fast crossing like I did with the Prototype African Innovation late 2004 beginning of 2005
With African Innovation we where loaded to the maximum of 11900 kilos and the average speed over the sailed course was 10.95 knots. The pages where removed of the web site but if you send me your e mail addres I can send them to you, the files are to big to put on the
You should come and sail with us when you have the time , I think you where on board in La Rochelle 2 years ago but unfortunately I did not get to meet you.
Greetings

Gideon

P.S the polar included is still for the version with inboard motors and saildrives
Not for Green Motion !!! the resistance of the sail drives and in and outlets under water is around 7 % and this is gone with Green Motion
Since this polar was made the keels , rudders , bows have been changed and all inlets and outlets are now installed recessed to decrease the hydrodynamic resistance, we are continuesly tweeking the FastCat and still trying to get the weight down in order to improve cruising speed
Old 21-02-2008, 10:03   #37
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
We see mid teens often with the wind behind the beam. In 06 we left St. Augustine in a northern wind, and had the anchor down in South Beach 36 hours later. After getting south of the cape we slowed considerably. At West Palm we had one foot on the beach to keep 6-7 knots. Just a 1/4 mile more away from the beach, and we would lose 2 knots.

We started out with a double reef in the main, and half the head sail. We maintained 12-15 knots until the cape. By Ft. Lauderdale we had all sail down, and was cruising about 7 knots the rest of the way.

Another time we left Green Cove Springs near Jacksonville Fl. and had the anchor down in South Beach in 48 hours. This was on another northern wind. A northern wind in winter makes for cold sailing, but the trip is always short, and exhilarating the first half. That just makes us appreciate the Bahamas that much more.....

That's all 4'9" of Melanie freezing like an ice cube......This is us still mainting 12-15 just before the cape..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Frigid sailing.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	2749   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sailing down.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	327.6 KB
ID:	2750  

imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 10:45   #38

Boat: currently a power boat :(
Quote:
Dear Alan

With African Innovation we where loaded to the maximum of 11900 kilos and the average speed over the sailed course was 10.95 knots. The pages where removed of the web site but if you send me your e mail addres I can send them to you, the files are to big to put on the
You should come and sail with us when you have the time , I think you where on board in La Rochelle 2 years ago but unfortunately I did not get to meet you.
Greetings

Gideon
I would like the file for your sail to Miami cspools@comcast.net
Blue Skye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 10:51   #39

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
I did a calculation of our trip from Ft Lauderdale to Annapolis 986 miles in 95 hours. The delivery crew who were bringing our boat up were the main crew from Moorings with more than 250k miles doing the typical Lagoon, FP and Moorings boats, they kindly mentioned it was the best sailing boat catamaran they'd ever been on. Gideons boat is by the same designer, but much more tweaked and probably 35% less weight. I can believe his claims on speed. My main sail though looks like an old quilt, my traveller doesn't, my gooseneck has cracked the mast, and I have a practical metal shop in my aft port births that has to go, so I'm not setting any speed records now. It is amazing what eliminating weight does. My old PDQ 36 with full cruising provisions I used to joke and say it wasn't worth sailing in less than 10 knots of wind. The last sail I had with her was the test sail with her new owner. All of our stuff was off her and her transoms cleared the water for the first time in 3 years as she rode a full 2 or 3 inches higher. It was a glassy day on the Chesapeake, the flags were all hanging straight down and their was a little mist hanging off the water. I thought all we were going to be able to do was to motor or sit in one place and watch the halyards clang. The new owner though wanted to try sailing her so we turned off the motors and hoisted the sails. To my amazement the boat started ghosting along at 2 knots in a wind I couldn't see or feel.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 11:09   #40

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskfreedom View Post
We had decided on a Manta 42 but after spending a week on one my wife who's 6'1" couldn't fit in the bed ,hated the top loading fridge/freezer , and didn't like the head room. I loved her except for her load capacity and performance disability's. We are now considering a Lagoon 41 or an older Catana 42. To be honest with ya guys I don't know what kind of boat to get. But I do know that I'm not spending $1 over 280k on one.
esk, have you checked out the Eric Lerouge designs at Erik Lerouge International? Nice, seaworthy and fast cats imo

Roger
multihullsailor6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 06:35   #41

Quote:
Hallo Rob
In our new green Motion concept we do wind speed or better while with the previous cats we do slightly less than windspeed so depending on the model it is better or almost windspeed.
on my last trip with a 435 with only 10 knots of wind at 100 degrees 9 knots. This is done with Pre Green Motion
The system might work well for A HarryProa as well to gain a bit more speed since nothing is hanging in the water anymore and the possibility to generate electricity.
Let me know if you are interested , do you power your Proa with one or 2 motors ?

Greetings
G'day,
Harrys have either one or two motors. The Dutch Visionaary is fitting electric motors this winter, there are a couple going with Re E Power, most of our customers have expressed an interest in them. I contacted you about yours, was told to wait until they had crossed the Atlantic. Nothing heard since.

regards,

Rob
rob denney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 08:13   #42
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob denney View Post
G'day,
Harrys have either one or two motors. The Dutch Visionaary is fitting electric motors this winter, there are a couple going with Re E Power, most of our customers have expressed an interest in them. I contacted you about yours, was told to wait until they had crossed the Atlantic. Nothing heard since.

regards,

Rob
Hallo Rob are you getting the Green Motion updates monthly,
We are still in the testing phase presently almost 2000 hours run time and the first motors will be fitted to a new FastCat 455 in June after which I will make 2 atlantic crossings for the real test.
Send us you e mail addres for updates

Greetings and a good weekend
Old 22-02-2008, 08:57   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
On my old Hobie 18?...no idea how fast as GPS's did not exist back then, but it was damn fast in 35 knots of wind which was a nice blustery day sailing in the "slot" on SF Bay. How would I read a GPS anyways with a salt water fire hose blasting me in the face? The bow spray landed about 3 to 4 boat lengths back. That was my knot meter. Pitchpolls landed us well in front of the boat. I have fond memories of coming home bruised, bleeding and not being able to feel my frozen feet. The catamaran theorem applies to little catamarans as well, Fast, Cheap but not Comfortable.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 09:58   #44

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
I managed 28 knots on my old Mistal Maui surfboard - one hull but two legs!! The water was getting squeezed through the centreboard box with such force it felt like a firehose blasting me in the face. I reckon the only thing in the water was the skeg.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 22:52   #45

Boat: currently a power boat :(
Quote:
Dear Alan

How can you compare a delivery to a customer where all is played to keep A new cat in ship shape order and with the wind on the nose most of the time with a fast crossing like I did with the Prototype African Innovation late 2004 beginning of 2005
I found this info on your FastCat 435 and was confused about your average speed. According to this website your average was 8.85 knots. Just wondering why the discrepancy?
New African Cats model achieves 'A' CE certificate

I still would like to receive the file on your voyage, cspools@comcast.net.

Again, I am really interested in your designs and green motion project. I sent you a PM and emailed info@africancats.com about any updates and your prototype 435 that may be for sale(?).

Regards,
Skye
Blue Skye is offline   Reply With Quote