Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-09-2016, 16:44   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: How far can you go?

It depends on how fast you motor.

I think a good boat powered slow should easily motor in excess of 1k Nm on standard tanks.

b.

Old 26-09-2016, 17:25   #32

Boat: Seawind - 1160

I made a trip during the summer from Key West FL direct to Galveston Texas, a rumb Line distance of 775 nm with nearly no wind. We sailed at total of 5 hours out of the five days at sea. The rest of the trip was flat seas and calm winds. Only used one engine at a time (Yanmar WM 30hp!) running 2400 rpm's averaging about 5.5 knots. Our Seawind 1160 arrived with about 5 gallons remaining not including the 20 gallons we had on deck in Jerry jugs. We really did a sort of dog leg course in order to gain some current from the Gulf Stream loop current.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 27-09-2016, 01:57   #33

Boat: About a metre of Seawind 1160

Thanks Double Wide. That pretty much checks out with what I've been told. Strangely, while I absolutely love to sail, the thought of quietly putt putting across a beautiful, calm blue ocean with a couple of lines out the back doesn't fill me with horror. Sometimes, it's just enough to be out there eh?
Old 27-09-2016, 03:05   #34

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Wide View Post
I made a trip during the summer from Key West FL direct to Galveston Texas, a rumb Line distance of 775 nm with nearly no wind. We sailed at total of 5 hours out of the five days at sea. The rest of the trip was flat seas and calm winds. Only used one engine at a time (Yanmar WM 30hp!) running 2400 rpm's averaging about 5.5 knots. Our Seawind 1160 arrived with about 5 gallons remaining not including the 20 gallons we had on deck in Jerry jugs. We really did a sort of dog leg course in order to gain some current from the Gulf Stream loop current.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Hmmmmm, Seawind 1160. Isn't that one of the boats that someone recommends often that sails so well that that fact alone makes this topic sort of stupid. Cause if you had a cat that sailed well in the first place you wouldn't need to discuss motors & motoring /fuel range. All I know is that having travelled the last 4 days straight - Innisfail to Dunk island, Dunk Island to Orpheus Island , Orpheus to Horseshoe Bay on Magnetic, then Horseshoe to Cape Upstart. Every day was a journey of between 40 to 70Nm. Every day the wind was non existent till mid day or even 2 pm. The mornings were "glassed out", zilch wind. So if you wanted to make anchorage before dark I don't think any of the "great sailing cats" would have been successful.

Then there is the matter of strong currents in some of the Whitsunday Island passages or up around the top. Try sailing against some of them. Or how about bar crossings? Yeah I know they can be sailed in the right conditions, but surely strong motors give a certain level of safety!

Seabreeze has two Yanmar 3GM30F with sail drives. We usually cruise with 1 motor at 2,200 rpm. Gives us between 5 & 6kn depending on sea state & consumes @ 1.1L/hr. Seabreeze has 2 x 130L tanks & we carry an extra 4 x 20L Jerry cans when required.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Seabreeze, Lagoon 380 #241
Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia ... Cruising the waters of the Great Barrier Reef
www.sea-breeze.com.au
gspeak is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: