Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2005, 09:38   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
How Does the Lagoon Multihull Rate ?

I have been reading a little about multihulls and I am starting to like some of the things that I have read about the Lagoon brand. Are they a good boat?
Old 10-02-2005, 11:16   #2

Location: Currently, cruise is over and back in Solomons MD, USA
Boat: Voyage/Maxim 380 - Makai
Send a message via Skype™ to sv_makai
Cruising Wold review

We looked at lagoon before going with Voyage for a new boat. But not to provide my bias i will recommend reviewing Cruising Worlds Boat of the year articles.

Though our builder was nonimated this year it didn't win I believe they do provide a good side by side and size by size comparison.

Various boats excell at different functions, IE coastal, weekender, off shore, etc. I would determine your needs and then research the boats in the class. THe reasons we didn't choose Lagoon my not be important to your needs, just as the reasons we selected our boat my not meet your critiera.
sv_makai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 12:12   #3

Boat: Privilege 37
I have sailed on the Lagoon 380 and 410S. The 410s had electric engines installed. I must say, I was impressed with the easy of handling and light air performance of the boat. They were both pretty laden with gear and or people and they still kept a decent pace with light winds. Nothing to compare with some of the light mono's and multi's out there, but decent.

The build quality was decent, not premier, but serviceable. The 410S was a new boat and it had a couple of Gel coat cracks, nothing structural, just annoying if it is a new boat.

The reputation of Lagoon, Fontaine Pajot, and Privilege are outstanding in the French catamaran market. Any of them is hard to beat in terms of overall seaworthyness.

The only reason we did not get a Lagoon was because while the upright windows are VERY serviceable and practicle, they are unesthetically pleasing to me. My wife on the other hand, LOVED the interior and layout. It was her first choice. Fortunately a Privilege came available for a completely unreasonable price and we bought that.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 12:42   #4

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
In addition to how you plan to use your multihull, consider what level of factory support you are willing to live with(out). A French boat means dealing with a company an ocean away when warranty issues arise. Our preference was a U.S. made boat whose factory I could visit and watch the progress of my vessel. So when I need help, it is a phone call away.

Also, most of the French boat dealers with whom we spoke told us we could not customize anything. So any changes we wanted had to be made post-market, even if it was more inconvenient that way. Our boat was customized at the factory, so that when we moved aboard, everything was as we wanted it.

If you are just a cruising couple with occasional company, you don't need to sleep 10 people! I would then consider the Manta, which is available in both charter and owner versions and is made in Sarasota, Florida.
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 04:45   #5

Boat: Privilege 37
From all the reports I have read, The PDQ range are definetly worth a look if you are based in USA.
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2005, 13:26   #6

Boat: Lagoon 37
This may be a little long.
We looked and sailed different boats for three or four years,before buying our Lagoon 37. I really liked the lay out of the PDQs. Actually made offers on a few.
But i wanted diesels and i felt the Lagoons were designed for them. And S. Slater (the PDQ designer) told me that they were really designed for the double outboards. Which has there advantages, I prefered real engines!
The older Lagoons were made in RI by TPI and I think they are higher quality workmanship wise.. I know ours is strong, fast, easy for the two of us to handle and sails very well.
I have crashed docks, grounded her a few times and sailed her into pounding head seas , and she does just fine. And as yet to pound in the bridge deck/saloon area!
She is a galley down, two queen size one double and and heads on each side.
The Lagoon also has been acclaimed by C. Kanter and Bob Perry. Her is a link to Perry's article

http://www.boats.com/content/default_detail.jsp?contentid=7846
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
multihull