Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2017, 02:22   #1

How do you judge if a beach is too "wavy" or if it will turn too unstable later?

I am going the multihull route to begin my sailing life.

So I have been wondering.

If you are out in the ocean and looking to a beach, it seems hard in some occasion to judge if waves are too big or if it is just calm enough to put the catamaran in the sand. How do you know?

Something else, if it is calm enough, no waves. How do you know if it wont turn in the future? Do you have to always look? Is there a geographical feature that says that beach is calm? I am thinking of a scenario of stopping in a remote island and stopping the catamaran in the sand, then go out exploring for some hours.
fernandosmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:42   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: How do you judge if a beach is too "wavy" or if it will turn too unstable later?

With a 5m tidal range we do dry out each year. However, it has to be very calm conditions, can't think of anything worse than waiting for the tide to lift you off whilst the keels bounce on the sea bed with every wave. Even sand can be hard.

You would be better anchoring just off the beach and using the dinghy to go ashore which is what most cruisers will do.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:43   #3

Boat: Lagoon 42
Re: How do you judge if a beach is too "wavy" or if it will turn too unstable later?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernandosmooth View Post
I am thinking of a scenario of stopping in a remote island and stopping the catamaran in the sand, then go out exploring for some hours.

why do you want to beach the catamaran

isnt that the reason why anchors were invented ?, or am I missing something ?
ReneJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:50   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneJK View Post

But that is what they do in the adverts, then slip off the drysuit to reveal the Tuxedo :-)

There are some interesting you tube videos of small boats being capsized on the beach by even quite small breaking waves. Caution always needed in shallow waters.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:53   #5

Quote:

Some of the very best, most sheltered anchorages are in places where there's little or no water at low tide.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:09   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quite simply, don't "beach" a cat on any beach you can see directly from the ocean.

The pictures you see of beached cats will almost inevitably be inside lagoons, on the the landward side of a fringing island/reef etc
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:11   #7

Quote:

In my mind..

Considering the catamaran goes in quite shallow areas, it would seem to me that in some occasions a good place to anchor would be far off, The beach could be all sand, making an anchoring quite difficult. I dont know if this is true but the idea of beaching a catamaran and tying it to a tree for some hours seemed like a better idea, instead of rowing for some distance. That is why I thought it was/is a good idea.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:17   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Quite simply, don't "beach" a cat on any beach you can see directly from the ocean.

The pictures you see of beached cats will almost inevitably be inside lagoons, on the the landward side of a fringing island/reef etc
This is good advice. Until you build up experience, only beach the boat in very sheltered areas.

John McEnroe
Old 12-10-2017, 03:18   #9

Boat: Presto 36

I deliberately "ground" my vessel quite frequently. My Presto 36 monohull, designed in 1884 by Ralph Middleton Munroe, was intended with just such antics in mind. She has a centerboard and 6"h X 9"w lead grounding shoe running about 18ft. in length , encompassing the fore end of the centerboard trunk opening, aft to the beginning of the deadwood. 2'-6" draft BU. Why ground? Recreation, exploration, maintenance and safety at night during "Anchoring", in busy channels are my most compelling reasons. I have also deliberately grounded during extremely violent weather. No normal vessels can "run you down" when you're high and dry. Works great.
Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:21   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabeau View Post
I deliberately "ground" my vessel quite frequently. My Presto 36 monohull, designed in 1884 by Ralph Middleton Munroe, was intended with just such antics in mind. She has a centerboard and 6"h X 9"w lead grounding shoe running about 18ft. in length , encompassing the fore end of the centerboard trunk opening, aft to the beginning of the deadwood. 2'-6" draft BU. Why ground? Recreation, exploration, maintenance and safety at night during "Anchoring", in busy channels are my most compelling reasons. I have also deliberately grounded during extremely violent weather. No normal vessels can "run you down" when you're high and dry. Works great.
Wait wait.. how? I mean, what if the tide doesnt turn as high when it comes back?

So, you just go into shallow areas, knowing it will dry out, then wait for it to come back? just like that? That is interesting.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:27   #11

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

OP: Only ground in VERY protected situations. If you can see waves then its too rough. Even small wave action can do serious damage.

Few things are more unpleasant than being aboard a boat which is being lifted and dropped on the beach repeatedly by waves...it does not take much.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:29   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

it is also a good idea to check the bottom first by dinghy at low tide and identify a suitable place to beach clear of rocks,wrecks or other debris that can ruin your day if the boat settles on top of it.

i heard of a catamaran putting a hole in a hull with his fisherman anchor when the tide went out in a shallow lagoon!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:29   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernandosmooth View Post
Wait wait.. how? I mean, what if the tide doesnt turn as high when it comes back?

So, you just go into shallow areas, knowing it will dry out, then wait for it to come back? just like that? That is interesting.
Not just like that. We check the Tide tables to be sure there's going to be enough water when we want to leave.

John McEnroe
Old 12-10-2017, 03:33   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
it is also a good idea to check the bottom first by dinghy at low tide and identify a suitable place to beach clear of rocks,wrecks or other debris that can ruin your day if the boat settles on top of it.

i heard of a catamaran putting a hole in a hull with his fisherman anchor when the tide went out in a shallow lagoon!
We generally set a stern anchor to ensure this doesn't happen.

John McEnroe
Old 12-10-2017, 03:34   #15

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post

...Few things are more unpleasant than being aboard a boat which is being lifted and dropped on the beach repeatedly by waves...

...on a rock!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote