Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2017, 12:41   #61

Re: How do these cats look?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
But where do they cruise? Peoples opinion's vary on this, there's no right or wrong answer.
A mate of mine on a schioning that ive cruised with in west papua, Philippines and thailand would never have outboards on his cat, there's been to many times that hes need large range and horsepower, this is a boat that sails very well.
If i was cruising the Australian coast, well yer I'd be happy with outboards but I dont see many boats outside local waters that dont have diesels.
It's already been mentioned, but many outboard equipped boats have circumnavigated. 2 of Bob's boats completed circumnavigations this year, dozens of Wharrams have, Schionnings and many others.

I'd say there's an upper weight limit, beyond which outboards start to not make sense, maybe around 8 - 10 tonnes, when the difference in fuel consumption would start to hurt.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 12:51   #62

Quote:
Ok guys ive entered into the delicate world of catamaran ownership and outboard subgroup, I'll back out now, do what you want with my previous comments.
So when people ask you for genuine reasoning to back up your statement they're getting defensive?

Your whole argument seems to be based on the fact that you have a mate who wouldn't have outboards.

Well I wouldn't have a monohull. And many of my cruising friends wouldn't. I guess, using your logic, that means monohulls can't go cruising?

John McEnroe
Old 29-09-2017, 12:57   #63
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

It would be interesting to see the fuel burn rate of peoples diesels. We burn about .6 gallons per hour running about 6 kts with our Honda 15hp. Will a diesel get that much better burn rate than that? Also, figuring our boat is lighter and does without the drag of 2 saildrives and props, wouldn't we be able to sail much better in lighter winds therefore running the motor less therefore using less fuel?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 13:05   #64

For equivalent horsepower diesels use about 20% less fuel. So there'd be a point where the extra fuel would negate the weight/drag benefits.

John McEnroe
Old 29-09-2017, 13:10   #65
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
For equivalent horsepower diesels use about 20% less fuel. So there'd be a point where the extra fuel would negate the weight/drag benefits.

I wonder though if you would need a bigger hp diesel to make up for the added weight of the Diesel engine and running gear?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 19:45   #66

To the OP: According to the ad, "She was built professionally by Peter Coram, owner of Chincogan Catamarans for his own use and the 2nd owners have circumnavigated the Australian coast for years living aboard Stray Cat" Looks OK to me on paper and worth a visit. Get a survey to make she is structurally sound and rig and engines are OK. Any response from the designer? (or did I miss that) She seems pretty loaded with gear, so might be a bit sluggish compared to original design spec. When it is hauled for inspection get the weight off the travel lifter, it might be a bit more than 6 Tonnes.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 20:06   #67

This one is in the size range of interest to the OP.
Can we determine the breed from this photo.
Possibly best to avoid for the obvious reason.
If nothing else its an interesting read.
Stolen Coins, a Missing Wife, and a Sunken Catamaran -- Stranger Than FictionOld Salt Blog

Old 29-09-2017, 20:40   #68

Boat: Simpson 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
Any response from the designer?

Tony Grainger got back to me saying that all older boats eventually get heavy and modifications are made to counter that. He said he didn't see any issues with what has been done.

Another issue that has surfaced is that the headroom might be a tad too low for me. I'm 183cm, and the kitchen and shower are 182cm. So on paper, this could be a deal breaker.

Does anyone live with slightly less headroom?

Would you say that this is a typical amount of headroom for smaller cats like this?
fursoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 21:07   #69

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
So when people ask you for genuine reasoning to back up your statement they're getting defensive?

Your whole argument seems to be based on the fact that you have a mate who wouldn't have outboards.

Well I wouldn't have a monohull. And many of my cruising friends wouldn't. I guess, using your logic, that means monohulls can't go cruising?
No Alan , the history of confrontation on this multihull forum is why i and many contribute litlle, and yes defensive, aggressive and rude are regular traits that are seen here when multihulls are questioned in anyway. My intial im"out of here" reaction was based on the behavior ive seen in the past when discussing multihulls. Have you noticed regularly people like Jim Cate or myself often finish our posts, with words like, only joking, or no offense, or i like cats etc....this is done because we know some multihull individuals are ready to go to war, you've trained us well.

For the record i wasn't questioning multihulls with my comments i was questioning whether outboards are the best choice for long distance crusing, performance multihull or not.

And yes i do have a good mate with a performance cat that will argue that outboards arent the go for his type of cruising ( ive cruised 1000's of nms with him) also other friends with a shuttleworth that changed their outboards for diesels and a Oram owner that i cruised with in 2011 that wasnt satisfied due to the amount of petrol he needed to carry on deck due to excessive motoring in windlass remote places. As well as owning many outboards my self over the years.

Its not just range, its storage of petrol, its reliability, its the carting of large amounts of petrol in remote places, locals smoking around it while bringing petrol out in canoes etc etc....there are a number of reasons i dont believe its the best choice. I see a good diesel as substantially more robust than an outboard. Can you cruise of the grid with them? Of course, never said you couldn't, are they the best choice? Imo no.

My opinions are based on many years of cruising in many places in the company of many types of boats, which include performance orientated cats.

I understand your reasoning ( ive read your views before), and it has merit but there are downsides ,and for the cruising I wish to do outboards cons outway the pro's.

Unfortunately many are closed of to alternative views due to the need to defend their own choices, we all do it to some degree, its a shame as it is so limiting.

An example would be i have an opinion regarding the Op looking at a Easy for 185k in Australia but haven't given it due to the potential upsetting of Australian multihull owners on this site. Is my opinion right? its just an opinion.This site misses out on other's views regularly due to its defensive ,aggressive nature by some, not all....just my opnion.

Have a nice day[emoji1]
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 23:04   #70

Quote:
No Alan , the history of confrontation on this multihull forum is why i and many contribute litlle, and yes defensive, aggressive and rude are regular traits that are seen here when multihulls are questioned in anyway. My intial im"out of here" reaction was based on the behavior ive seen in the past when discussing multihulls. Have you noticed regularly people like Jim Cate or myself often finish our posts, with words like, only joking, or no offense, or i like cats etc....this is done because we know some multihull individuals are ready to go to war, you've trained us well.

For the record i wasn't questioning multihulls with my comments i was questioning whether outboards are the best choice for long distance crusing, performance multihull or not.

And yes i do have a good mate with a performance cat that will argue that outboards arent the go for his type of cruising ( ive cruised 1000's of nms with him) also other friends with a shuttleworth that changed their outboards for diesels and a Oram owner that i cruised with in 2011 that wasnt satisfied due to the amount of petrol he needed to carry on deck due to excessive motoring in windlass remote places. As well as owning many outboards my self over the years.

Its not just range, its storage of petrol, its reliability, its the carting of large amounts of petrol in remote places, locals smoking around it while bringing petrol out in canoes etc etc....there are a number of reasons i dont believe its the best choice. I see a good diesel as substantially more robust than an outboard. Can you cruise of the grid with them? Of course, never said you couldn't, are they the best choice? Imo no.

My opinions are based on many years of cruising in many places in the company of many types of boats, which include performance orientated cats.

I understand your reasoning ( ive read your views before), and it has merit but there are downsides ,and for the cruising I wish to do outboards cons outway the pro's.

Unfortunately many are closed of to alternative views due to the need to defend their own choices, we all do it to some degree, its a shame as it is so limiting.

An example would be i have an opinion regarding the Op looking at a Easy for 185k in Australia but haven't given it due to the potential upsetting of Australian multihull owners on this site. Is my opinion right? its just an opinion.This site misses out on other's views regularly due to its defensive ,aggressive nature by some, not all....just my opnion.

Have a nice day[emoji1]
And the monohull forum misses out on many opinions too. Mine for instance. My opinion, based on experience, is pretty much negative, so basically out of good manners, I keep it to myself.

And the fact is, you don't find multihull owners commenting on monohulls in the monohull forum. It's notable that EVERY TIME some form of disaster befalls a cat, you get all the experts here saying that's why they'd never own one. And yet regularly, nonos disappear without comment from multihull owners.

So who really is insecure?
Who really finds it necessary to denigrate other people's choice of boat?

BTW What was the name of the Oram that had to carry all that fuel on deck. I ask because most of Bob's boats have huge lockers aft for fuel and other smelly stuff like garbage. I could probably fit about 500 litre in ours, enough for around 1000 miles in flat calm.

John McEnroe
Old 29-09-2017, 23:48   #71

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
And the monohull forum misses out on many opinions too. Mine for instance. My opinion, based on experience, is pretty much negative, so basically out of good manners, I keep it to myself.

And the fact is, you don't find multihull owners commenting on monohulls in the monohull forum. It's notable that EVERY TIME some form of disaster befalls a cat, you get all the experts here saying that's why they'd never own one. And yet regularly, nonos disappear without comment from multihull owners.

So who really is insecure?
Who really finds it necessary to denigrate other people's choice of boat?

BTW What was the name of the Oram that had to carry all that fuel on deck. I ask because most of Bob's boats have huge lockers aft for fuel and other smelly stuff like garbage. I could probably fit about 500 litre in ours, enough for around 1000 miles in flat calm.
But see Alan my views arent negative regarding multihulls, i like them, i like monos ,trawlers and most other boats, as well, they all have fors and againsts....i just dont need to prove to the world my choices are the only way to go, i actually have enough self esteem to accept others have chosen differently, certainly dont feel the need to try to bully them in to seeing it my way! Its called respect for other people and there views.

I think you will find many of us guys with monos actually like cats. In regards to those that dont, try not to take it personal, its not about you.

Regarding your mono experience, how much have you really had? and on what?

We have hijacked this thread, and im more than partly responsible, i apologize, time to move on.

Have a good day.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote