Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2017, 01:30   #46
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran
Re: How do these cats look?

Add Richard Woods to that list who cruises and likes outboards!
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 03:30   #47

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Yep, he's still cruising in his "Sarah" design, which is a nice update on the Easy. Another designer you'll find out there cruising is Bob Oram. And both Peter and Bob prefer outboards.
But where do they cruise? Peoples opinion's vary on this, there's no right or wrong answer.
A mate of mine on a schioning that ive cruised with in west papua, Philippines and thailand would never have outboards on his cat, there's been to many times that hes need large range and horsepower, this is a boat that sails very well.
If i was cruising the Australian coast, well yer I'd be happy with outboards but I dont see many boats outside local waters that dont have diesels.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 04:09   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
But where do they cruise? Peoples opinion's vary on this, there's no right or wrong answer.
A mate of mine on a schioning that ive cruised with in west papua, Philippines and thailand would never have outboards on his cat, there's been to many times that hes need large range and horsepower, this is a boat that sails very well.
If i was cruising the Australian coast, well yer I'd be happy with outboards but I dont see many boats outside local waters that dont have diesels.
He took one of his designs with outboards (Sarah) to the south pacific and back
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 04:13   #49

Quote:
But where do they cruise?
Good question well asked.

Most up and down the coast never straying far from a petrol pump.

One mentioned squealed for help and got lifted off a perfectly good boat when the weather turned .
Old 29-09-2017, 04:34   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
He took one of his designs with outboards (Sarah) to the south pacific and back
Didn't say you couldn't, but there's a reason most would and do choose inboard diesels, when venturing further a field.
Your entitled to your opinion.
Old 29-09-2017, 05:07   #51
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Didn't say you couldn't, but there's a reason most would and do choose inboard diesels, when venturing further a field.
Your entitled to your opinion.

What's your cruising speed under power and burn rate on your Catalina?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 05:17   #52
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

I would quite happily spec outboards for a cat up to 50' no problem, maybe even bigger.

If the boat is designed for them, why not?

They're lighter weight, lift out of the water...you need to source your charging and hot water elsewhere but that's ok if you design your systems for it.

Why wouldn't you?
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 05:29   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
I would quite happily spec outboards for a cat up to 50' no problem, maybe even bigger.

If the boat is designed for them, why not?

They're lighter weight, lift out of the water...you need to source your charging and hot water elsewhere but that's ok if you design your systems for it.

Why wouldn't you?
Ok guys ive entered into the delicate world of catamaran ownership and outboard subgroup, I'll back out now, do what you want with my previous comments.
Old 29-09-2017, 05:38   #54

How many Heavenly Twins have cirmnavigated?
Old 29-09-2017, 06:04   #55
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Ok guys ive entered into the delicate world of catamaran ownership and outboard subgroup, I'll back out now, do what you want with my previous comments.

I don't understand the reaction. There's no outboard cult.

To add to my previous list, they're cheaper to buy.

Many schionnings, including the waterline 1480, are designed with them as an option. That's the option for me.
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 06:18   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
I don't understand the reaction. There's no outboard cult.

To add to my previous list, they're cheaper to buy.

Many schionnings, including the waterline 1480, are designed with them as an option. That's the option for me.
Maybe an overreaction on my behalf and not nessacarily directed at you, but I know where this goes, and can already see it starting from a couple of the other responses, people defend what they have and i find this especially so on the multihull forum.
All the pros and cons have been written about before. I base my comments on my personal experience, others may disagree, thats ok.
Old 29-09-2017, 06:38   #57
smj

Quote:
Maybe an overreaction on my behalf and not nessacarily directed at you, but I know where this goes, and can already see it starting from a couple of the other responses, people defend what they have and i find this especially so on the multihull forum.
All the pros and cons have been written about before. I base my comments on my personal experience, others may disagree, thats ok.

Have you owned a performance oriented cruising catamaran?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 29-09-2017, 07:30   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
Guy buys a Blue II a couple months ago and suddenly he's an expert.
should i assume that you knowledge on other matters is as jaundiced as it is of me,, in future i will view your opinions accordingly,,, please do not EVER ask for a " tour of my boat " as the reply may offend.
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 07:51   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Have you owned a performance oriented cruising catamaran?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Not really sure of the relevence of the question, seeing we were talking about outboards and suitability for far away sailing at varying latitudes.

Ive owned two cats, a wharram with outboards, and performance cruising gemini with an outboard, i consider neither of them to be very performance oriented.

Have you? i see you currently have a searunner.

Now if we are going to try to qualify a opinion then theres many other question's we can all so ask regarding, experience both mechanical ( ie mechanic etc), cruising exp, coastal, international, bluewater etc etc?
But seriously do we need to?
Outboards have there pluses no doubt but like all things they have some minus. Its an individuals choice to toss up the fors and againsts.
Old 29-09-2017, 08:44   #60
smj

Quote:
Not really sure of the relevence of the question, seeing we were talking about outboards and suitability for far away sailing at varying latitudes.

Ive owned two cats, a wharram with outboards, and performance cruising gemini with an outboard, i consider neither of them to be very performance oriented.

Have you? i see you currently have a searunner.

Now if we are going to try to qualify a opinion then theres many other question's we can all so ask regarding, experience both mechanical ( ie mechanic etc), cruising exp, coastal, international, bluewater etc etc?
But seriously do we need to?
Outboards have there pluses no doubt but like all things they have some minus. Its an individuals choice to toss up the fors and againsts.

We are talking about outboards on catamarans so maybe the question was relevant?
Interesting that you owned a Gemini which was designed for an outboard installation then went to the single diesel with sonic outdrive. Turns out the diesel/outdrive system on the newer Geminis were much more problematic than the original outboard setup.
Our current boat is a Searunner 38 catamaran with a single 15hp outboard. People seem to overlook the fact it's a catamaran when they see the word Searunner! We have owned 3 twin outboard catamarans, 3 catamarans with single outboards, 2 catamarans with twin diesels, 2 catamarans with single diesel/sonic outdrives and 1 catamaran with a single diesel that drove twin hydraulic motors, which we converted into a single outboard driven catamaran.
I don't believe all catamarans would benefit from an outboard installation but quite a few do. I also believe there are very few monohulls which can be well setup for an outboard installation.