Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2015, 13:12   #1

Boat: still looking for the right Tri
How do sail Jay Kantola Trimarans ?

As there was a very, very old thread on the BoatDesign Forum about Jay Kantola design and boats (more than 2 years old)... and in 2007 was an "old thread" here on CF...

... I did little bit research for a short update... being curiously about these boats. - Indeed, I have found different Trimarans still sailing in the size 25-65 ft which had been designed by Jay Kantola.

I have no real information about this designer, yet. I'd appreciate it if one has details about the curriculum of this designer.

Here those Trimarans I have found... the lines of these Trimarans have their own beautyness and elegance. I love them.

Accidently I fell over this name because of our CF member pbmaise's monster trimaran of 65 ft. ... using a Crab Claw main sail with Aft-Mast rig. Interesting indeed.

Only found one single video about the boat building process of a 39 Foot Kantola, the Trimaran JAZZ

And it seems there is another big Kantola Trimaran of 56 ft. sailing along South California coast, former being used as charter boat. More details about the Ketch rigged Tri on the official website About Us

Impressive size this WindChime... it has a beautifully interior, too. More pics here: Gallery

Another Kantola Trimaran which is in charter the 44 ft. Tri HAIKU front coast of Costa Rica...

Astonishly this boat has huge space under deck, e.g. seen with galley and saloon...

The Trimaran Spirit Of Tsitika (home port: Canada) is a 35 footer designed by Kantola... which I found reading a little story about anchoring on Trimarans published in 2014.

Out there is a 37 foot Kantola (the owner has it as 2nd boat)... built in 1979 and refitted during 2012-2014. As it looks the main hull was pro-longed from the original size of a 34 footer plus 3 ft extra.

For all boaters who love "small trimarans", Jay Kantola has designed a 25 footer.... in 2013 the Tri Poco Loco (I suppose its Spanish and means "little bit mad", see bottom video of the pop song) was refitted you can read a report by Brandon Walters here.

Would really like to know more about (the curriculum of) this designer. - And best: See some videos how these boats sails ! - Tks in advance for taking noticing and your support.

Skip JayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 13:34   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: How do sail Jay Kantola Trimarans ?

Have you tried posing similar questions on some of the sites which are, or have sections dedicated to classic multihulls? Also, on the Crab Claw rig, go to; the Wharram Site, & the Traditional Polynesian Multihull site. Plus there's info on them, & many of your other questions at www.AYRS.org the Amateur Yacht Research Society.

You've decent tast in boats, BTW. As IMO, "modern" charter cats, & bloated cruising boats, overburdened with every convenience of home, are for the birds. At least/especially when, the Sailing part of the equation gets lost in all of the toys, & need for newer & more of them.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 16:13   #3

Boat: still looking for the right Tri
Re: How do sail Jay Kantola Trimarans ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Have you tried posing similar questions on some of the sites which are, or have sections dedicated to classic multihulls?
No, not yet....

Quote:
Also, on the Crab Claw rig, go to; the Wharram Site, & the Traditional Polynesian Multihull site.
Its an interesting rig concept. I suppose, maybe in 10-15 years when I get an old pensionist becoming lazy with all the trim during a tag I'd prefer such one. Nice idea by pbmaise to give it a try on such a big Trimaran and take the risks with all the higher investment. By sure an interesting rig for lazy long distance cruisers as it looks in the vid. :-)

Quote:
Plus there's info on them, & many of your other questions at www.AYRS.org the Amateur Yacht Research Society.
Ah... that sounds interesting. Yet have not known about them. (I suppose I should, as just lurking around there and seeing "2013: Dick Newick, AYRS Vice-President". Oha...)

Nice perspective, I might become one day a TAR - a Trimaran Amateur Researcher ?? ;-)

Quote:
You've decent tast in boats, BTW. As IMO, "modern" charter cats, & bloated cruising boats, overburdened with every convenience of home, are for the birds. At least/especially when, the Sailing part of the equation gets lost in all of the toys, & need for newer & more of them.
Tks... yeah, all these modern swimming plastic living rooms we see so often in the world of multihulls, mainly cats. I am not very amused about.

I suppose many people have a good eyes, maybe not conciously and rationaly. If a boat speaks for herself by the beautiful lines, like a classical schooner, even non sailors notice the natural beautyness and harmony. Boat shows, harbour festivals, tall ship regatas attract a lot the masses.

For me its urgent to sail a boat which touches my own aesthetic senses. Even I never drove a "plastic car" (e.g. a Volkswagen Golf). Not that these cars are bad for daily use driving to work. But I cannot enjoy them. So I prefered to drive Lancia Beta 2.0, Jaguar V12 and Citroen XM V6. Cars who have a pesonality.

We should try to design our surrounding with beautyness, I mean naturally beautyness... like a Japanese Teahouse in a Japanese Garden.... and not seing it as "luxury". Sadly so called "exclusive design" mostly is something for the rich ones who can afford it.

It shouldn't be like this. Every kid, even coming out of a family belonging to the social weak class should get access to good design.

Such a boat like the 45 ft. Trimaran Mazinga designed by John Sutherworld is of simply elegance, fine and filigree lines... it seems all in harmony, isnt ? :-)

But back to Jay Kantola ! - Hope someone has some vids and more details about this designer. I suppose he was already active during the times of Arthur Piver and mainly in the 70th.
Skip JayR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, trimaran