Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2008, 09:58   #16

Boat: FP Tobago 35
There is an older 37 ft FP cat here in Denmark that has been used as a liveaboard by a family. They plumbed in a hot water central heating system from a small oil fired boiler.

I just spoke to a guy on a liveaboard steel motorboat here, he has installed an extra internal "window" on all hatches etc.

He uses a plumbed hot water system as well, as the air based ones are don't offer good temperature control in the different parts of the boat, you can only have 1 control place. He uses a dutch built boiler, can't remember the name..

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2008, 07:59   #17

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
The Cruiseair heat pumps in my endeavourcat work well at the dock, but you have to run the genset on the hook. They work fairly well until the water temp gets below 5 C. Of course as the water gets colder they become less efficient. Below 4 C you are in danger of ice forming in the heat exchanger, so if water gets colder than that where you live they won't work for you. Water temps here in NC tend to bottom out at about 6, but on rare occasions they will get lower for short periods. I personally don't like to have sea cocks open when I'm away from the boat so I have a pair of forced air heaters from West Marine that I use at the dock to prvent stuff from freezing. They have a no freeze setting which turns them on when the temp gets below 38F. I'm thinking of adding a small hydronics unit to the engine cooling loop. I hate that when I'm motoring in the winter that I have to dump all that heat overboard without warming my cabin.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 19:11   #18

Boat: 1980 Moody 33 C/C & 50ft Steel Houseboat
Try an econo-heat panel in areas where you sleep. Works in Minnesota quite well. Uses 400 watts and has an option for a thermostat. Their cheap, efficent, noiseless and no moving parts. (radiant heat) You would need a couple for a boat that size to do the whole boat. If you only need it for mild nights (20's to 40's) in your sleeping area, you could perhaps run it off an inverter if your batt bank is large enough as it would not be "on" all the time.

Stay thirsty, my friends...
Rvrratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 19:57   #19

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcook View Post
Other than taking them south for the winter.
What about taking them North?
Old 22-09-2009, 21:36   #20

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Hydronic Heating

Use a hydronic heating system. Install the boiler in an engine compartment so you can vent the Carbon MONOXIDE out of the boat. Cover the hatches with plastic wrap. Get a shammy or two and police the areas where condensation occurs.

Hydronic heating is great since it blows hot air unlike a reverse cycle heating system. The boiler uses diesel and its fairly efficient (of course the boat is not very well insulated). You can also set it up to heat your hot water (great when you are not able to plug into shore power). Finally, you can run the hot water tubes through the other engine compartment and then you do not have to winterize either engine.

Fair Winds,
Mike
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 16:30   #21

Boat: M&M 52, Kiapa
unless you're full-time in the tropics, heat is really nice to have!!!
we've used webasto diesel heaters on our last three boats, one forced air and two hydronic. they're great systems, and because they're diesel... you don't have to carry anything extra around. due to the incredible volume of the boat, we opted for a hydronic system on our cat. we went with webasto's 2010 furnace and 5 fan-radiator units -- two small ones in each hull and one big one on the bridgedeck. we also thru in a small exchanger so we could have diesel-fired hot water for showers in cold places.

we've got a crude systems diagram @ http://www.kiapa.com/the2ndgoing/des...derations.html
kiapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 18:51   #22
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380
Espar diesel fired furnace mounted in the stb engine compartment. Ducted hot air vents throughout the boat. Furnce combustion air taken from and exhaust exits to extrerior of boat. Cold air return to furnace ducted from low point in stb cabin. Small amount of 12V draw while fan is working. Toasty warm
Old 16-10-2009, 20:10   #23
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
An unvented heater in a sleeping chamber? Nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
That's actually a good point. It's a lot easier to heat the small area that you're sleeping rather than the entire interior.
You could die.

A sleeping bag is a better choice.

I am happy with the Dickson P-9000, in a small boat. Keeps the whole boat down to about 20F. See below.

Sail Delmarva: Search results for heat