Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2016, 03:52   #1

Boat: Imexus 28, Malcolm Tennant 46 Timeliner cat
how correctly feed a furling line for schreecher/code zero

There are mostly option for endless furling line reels. What is the best set up for the furling line ? So, one person could furl/unfurl.Will it be better to go for a drum furler - like Facnor FXT model with a drum ? I think, this will give an option to lead a line to cockpit.
Appreciate cf opinions.
YARGESOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 04:19   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: how correctly feed a furling line for schreecher/code zero

Personally I like the Drum for the Genny.. single lines are great for cruising chutes and drifters.. much better than socks..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 04:26   #3

Re: how correctly feed a furling line for schreecher/code zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Personally I like the Drum for the Genny.. single lines are great for cruising chutes and drifters.. much better than socks..
I agree that furling is better than a sock. But a DRUM/ or REEL ? I've heard from a fellow, that with a reel code zero the line may easily go off the reel.
And, you have to work the endless line both hands. Where to find the 3-d for a sheet ?
Old 19-02-2016, 04:52   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

I'm not a fan of any endless furling or sheeting systems... When things go wrong it's a mess...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 04:53   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: how correctly feed a furling line for schreecher/code zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARGESOL View Post
I agree that furling is better than a sock. But a DRUM/ or REEL ? I've heard from a fellow, that with a reel code zero the line may easily go off the reel.
And, you have to work the endless line both hands. Where to find the 3-d for a sheet ?
There's always a solution.. if one does not mind a few boat $$'s
Invest in a small electric winch.. then you set the line semi-permanently and just press the button.. just like the more expensive electric selftailer for the Genoa..
Also.. what can and what does.. a drum can jam.. no guarantee's in life mate.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 05:03   #6
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

We had an endless line furler on our gennaker. Boaty might have used it? Anyway, I would avoid it and go for a proper fixed furler if possible. The reason it may not be possible is the roach of the gennaker may be to pronounced to allow complete furling, which is one reason for using a removable endless line furler. I would probably go for a sock rather than endless line. The only real downside to endless line is furling in over 15kn AWS. One option that works ok is to unfurl the jib to take the wind out of the gennaker.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 05:13   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
We had an endless line furler on our gennaker. Boaty might have used it? Anyway, I would avoid it and go for a proper fixed furler if possible. The reason it may not be possible is the roach of the gennaker may be to pronounced to allow complete furling, which is one reason for using a removable endless line furler. I would probably go for a sock rather than endless line. The only real downside to endless line is furling in over 15kn AWS. One option that works ok is to unfurl the jib to take the wind out of the gennaker.
Monte, than a discontiniouse line fixed to a classic drum is a solution for flying sail ? If it's not jammed, of cause.
Old 19-02-2016, 05:51   #8
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

That would be my preference, keeping in mind the roach may be limited to allow for proper furling and the cloth weight probably a bit heavier and the addition of uv strip will likely make it not ideal for really light airs. Our solution is a parasailor in a sock which handles most of our downwind sailing 80-180 degrees AWA and has a range of 6-30kn TWS. It's easier to handle and douse than the continuous line gennaker. The endless line might be ok depending on your cruising grounds and usual wind speeds. If you rarely see over 15kn or if the wind is generally steady for long periods it's probably fine. Areas where the wind can range between 5kn and 25kn over the course of a few hours, maybe not so fine.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 11:35   #9

Boat: Hunter 380 - 2000 - 38'

I have a Selden GX top-down furler for our A-sym. When it works, it's great. Often there is an issue getting the sail out the 1st time as lines get crossed, so we always set it and then furl it in so it is good to go. As mentioned, it will sometimes not furl all the way in and leave some of the luff flapping in the wind. Always douse it before we reach 15 kts. and have learned to run to ease the pressure if it gets breezy. Great for short handed sailing.
Bacchanal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 12:43   #10

Boat: Hylas 49

I have a Harken drum furler. There has to be a better solution. The tack must be the exact height as the fairlead, and I have one person hold the drum lead when unfurling so it does not rotate and cause the line to foul. Also, I had to go to 1/8 line to get enough wraps. Unfurl the jib to blanket the chute, then furl!
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 13:26   #11

Boat: LAGOON 400

i have not done 100s of times yet but 10's of times so not really experienced but my experiece so far is that furling is not an issue. AP on 140 app, with main on, and furls nicely in so far max 20 kn true. No slipping of furling line and it was quite easy. Have FX 4000.

30 kn true, we will see how it goes it one day, i am sure.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 14:16   #12

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

I don't have a problem with my endless line furling and I single hand most of the time. The way I have it set up is with a large diameter light weight pulley (dinghy main sheet pulley) set on the endless furliing line, this is then held by a length of bungee cord to the pushpit so that the furling line loop is under tension, it is then easy to pull the correct side with one hand whilst tending the sheet with the other hand and steering (tiller) either with my foot, crotch of if the sea is steady, with the autopilot. the bungee keeps the furling line(s) taut and prevents a snarl up.
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 14:17   #13

In respect of my screecher with an endless line furler:
1. Ideal for solo sailing - I don't use the ASI with sock when solo.
2. At 90sqm it remains easy to furl even in 20 kts AWS (The issue it about the tension in the sheet as needed for leech/clew control when to windward)
3. Above 15kts AWS, I either run/reach somewhat or blanket with the genoa so as to avoid the need for excessive sheet tension (to prevent wild thrashing of the clew). Too much tension will result in uneven furling where the lower half of the sail is too tightly furled and the top half too loosely furled. If so, the loose upper sail's leech becomes prone being loose enough to flog despite being furled as one sails to windward.
4. The key to avoiding problems with the endless line is to ensure correct cordage size. Too thick, and you run the risk that the endless splice (which is invariable somewhat oval in cross section can on occasion jam in the reel; too thin and the line can come off.
5. I wouldn't be without it.

I would love to have a top down furler for my ASI, but currently cannot justify the cost given how cheap the sock is. Still, when solo or when short handed (or inexperienced crew), it might be a great option.
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 23:11   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
I have a Harken drum furler. There has to be a better solution. The tack must be the exact height as the fairlead, and I have one person hold the drum lead when unfurling so it does not rotate and cause the line to foul. Also, I had to go to 1/8 line to get enough wraps. Unfurl the jib to blanket the chute, then furl!
TheOffice: So, even with a DRUM, it still require two persons to set the sail?
Luff/drum is not vertical,but inclined. Sp. the fairlead for the line must be placed somewhere on the deck ?
Old 20-02-2016, 03:56   #15

Boat: Hylas 49

It can be done singlehanded but there is a good chance the lead will spin and the line will foul. The forward lead is a stainless ring tied to the bow pulpit so it is at the right height.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
code zero, furling