Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-07-2017, 14:17   #1

How common is this? FP Athena sitting in a Marina rotting away

We went for a walk at a Marina in Port A Texas and saw a catamaran sitting exactly where it was a year ago. Locals claim that it hasnt moved in over two years and they havent seen anyone on it in that time either.

To me this is nuts. They are paying ~ $5000 a year just in marina fees not to mention all that is going unserviced on that boat. Huge baracles are visable on the hulls.... I could keep going but suffice to say the value of that catamaran is falling fast. Its not listed for sale but I dont know that there is a price I would pay for that boat becuase it has "money pit" written all over it!

So the point is this, is this common? Do you see boats just rotting away in your marinas while owners keep paying for them to be tied off to the dock?

Old 16-07-2017, 15:22   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: How common is this? FP Athena sitting in a Marina rotting away

Lots of reasons it happens, sometimes it very understandable. Like a very serious sudden illness, sudden death of a life partner, all kinds of seriously bad things happen to good people every day.
The it could be tied up in some kind of legal battle, who knows.
But yes it happens pretty often.

Old 16-07-2017, 15:37   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Was recently in a marina with lots of 30' and under slips. About 3/4 of these smaller boats were obviously unused and some looked like they hadn't been out in a decade or longer. They also had had a 40' aluminum IOR race boat that had been in the Marina for over a decade and never gone out. When the owner died the boat was scrapped. Talked with the manager and he said these boats are a headache because they occasionally take on water, even sink, and dock lines rot away but the owner's keep paying the slip rent not willing to admit they have a potential land fill boat.

Small boat slips are plentiful in the area so the owners of the marina would rather have the income than force these boats out. I briefly owned a 30' Ron Holland designed boat in the marina. Bought it cheap and sold it cheap. Noticed that the owner still hadn't installed the new port pllexiglass lenses that I had had cut for the boat. It's been sitting with the portlights unglazed for at least 5 years. The interior is probably totally green.
Old 16-07-2017, 15:50   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

It is quite common...more common than boats that get used a lot.

Years ago, I worked for a sailing school in a large (1,200 slips) marina. I was there a lot and saw many boats which I knew never left the slip. In fact, the owners had not even been aboard many of them for years. Several had lines which would literally crumble in your hands.

We needed more boats and contacted several of the owners...none of them even wanted to discuss putting the boat to use.

Strange behaivior...
Old 16-07-2017, 16:39   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Thats how I got the columbia defender I just bought. The thing hadnt moved in 3 years the owner got married and moved to Montana. Paid what he had in the outboard for it. He handed me the paperwork for the purchase of the motor and all. Sometimes you just have to ask but beware they just might say yes to an offer. Next thing you know you have a fleet.
Old 16-07-2017, 16:54   #6

Here and in Guam, I'd say that for every well-maintained boat, there are 20 that are sitting and rotting.

Several years ago, the owner of a Stiletto catamaran was approached with the offer of 50% ownership in exchange for restoration to like-new condition from a well-known and respected restorer. The boat was in very poor condition and had no encumbrances, but the owner declined and now the boat is beyond restoration. The owner continues to pay ~$200 per month in slip fees.

This type of story is typical. For some reason, most folks in this region would rather see their boat rot away, rather than sell it or allow someone else to get involved.
Old 17-07-2017, 10:14   #7

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Go to any marina and you will be shocked by the number of derelict, apparently long abandoned, disintigrating boats of zero value other than for engine parts.

Here, in Toronto Island Marina there are at least 30 unused and unloved boats that were once highly valued, but the marina is unable or unwilling to scrap them, so they are just clutter and eyesores. They have become just garbage awaiting burial.
Old 17-07-2017, 10:44   #8

For every neglected boat there is a person with a dream.
As long as that boat is there ,the dream is alive.
Old 17-07-2017, 10:51   #9

Lovely
Old 17-07-2017, 11:16   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

I can count with my fingers the number of boats on our dock (roughly 50 total) that are active.
Old 17-07-2017, 11:55   #11

And... another one bites the dust. Or the muck, in this case.

Ongoing thread about Dock Zombies here.

But I suppose I benefit from the opposite trend: I rent half of a double slip. Someone has paid rent on the other half for years, but uses it less than one week each summer. If someone more active ever gets in there, I'll have to get a lot better at my docking maneuver!
Old 17-07-2017, 14:00   #12

Boat: 2002 Seawind 1000 (33 ft) Cat

It's been there at least five years. It's hull is a reef, although I wouldn't say anything is rotting - except maybe sails. Pull it, bottom paint, buff and wax, replace sails - it can probably be a nice boat. My guess is that it's a med model with no holding tanks. Retrofit might be a pain. FP's are generally decent cats. Marina just changed hands so you might see some pressure on some of these to get cleaned up. New owners are more capitalized, live in the area, and have plans for it to be showplace. That conflicts with derelict boats. They've already given liveaboards notice they are out when lease is up.
Old 17-07-2017, 14:07   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by somanyboats View Post
For every neglected boat there is a person with a dream.
As long as that boat is there ,the dream is alive.
Sorry, can't resist a cynical jibe:

For every neglected boat there is a person with narcissistic obsessive-compulsive disorder. As long as that boat is there, they are satisfied that their complete control over things is assured, regardless of clearly evident entropy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
It's been there at least five years. It's hull is a reef, although I wouldn't say anything is rotting...
Context, please?
Old 17-07-2017, 16:00   #14

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Its too common. Its sad, and its a waste.

I actually bought one of them....a sailboat that had been sitting in a yard for 5 years. The owner realized he would have been better off giving it away for free on day one, rather than the 5 years of storage fees and aggravation he had. So when I made him an offer, I had to be careful, because I knew he was going to say yes, which he did without hesitation. Long story short...I was sailing 2 weeks later and enjoyed the boat greatly.
Old 17-07-2017, 18:36   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
It's been there at least five years. It's hull is a reef, although I wouldn't say anything is rotting - except maybe sails. Pull it, bottom paint, buff and wax, replace sails - it can probably be a nice boat. My guess is that it's a med model with no holding tanks. Retrofit might be a pain. FP's are generally decent cats. Marina just changed hands so you might see some pressure on some of these to get cleaned up. New owners are more capitalized, live in the area, and have plans for it to be showplace. That conflicts with derelict boats. They've already given liveaboards notice they are out when lease is up.

Damn, that sucks for the liveaboards.

You my friend are more optimistic than I regarding that FP Athena.

I would anticipate engne issues after it sat for five years, running rigging and yes sails, It look like one of the hatches was busted so I can only imagine the amount of mold inside requiring new mattresses & cushions at the very least but probably serious damage to wood inside as well. I have no idea about the boat systems like plumbing and heads but I would assume that anything electronic would have to be replaced as well.

All this assumes there's no osmosis.

The least of your worries it is probably the bottom of the boat haha.

Tags
rot

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: