Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2009, 02:31   #16

Price is 3,200 Euros, which is currently $US4,800. Plus freight, duty and tax. Hard to keep up with currency fluctuations at the moment. Order a "few" and you will get a substantial discount, although it won't be as low as $US3,500 unless a few is 10 or more. Sorry for the error.

There is one just been delivered to France, another to NZ and there are 2 about to go to Germany. Biggest market so far is China (where they are built) and the site of the first proa sailing school.

regards,

rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Thanks Rob,

Can I order a few at that price please?
Old 29-10-2009, 13:37   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitched View Post
They race them in the Philippines - fantastic spectacle - and chaotic

Cruiser News March 08
These boats are more like waterbugs skimming on the water, and close to flying.......i2f
Old 29-10-2009, 22:04   #18

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob denney View Post
Price is 3,200 Euros, which is currently $US4,800. Plus freight, duty and tax. Hard to keep up with currency fluctuations at the moment. Order a "few" and you will get a substantial discount, although it won't be as low as $US3,500 unless a few is 10 or more. Sorry for the error.

There is one just been delivered to France, another to NZ and there are 2 about to go to Germany. Biggest market so far is China (where they are built) and the site of the first proa sailing school.

regards,

rob
A finished 50 foot proa for $4800 usd ?

Are you sure?
Old 29-10-2009, 23:19   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
A finished 50 foot proa for $4800 usd ?

Are you sure?
Not sure where you got that from.

The original post:
Harryproas are available in 5m/15' (production boat, $US3,500), 6m/20' production boat and various cruisers and racers up to 26m/85'

amended:

Don't think I mentioned a 50'ter price anywhere. The only price is for the 5m/15'ter.

rob
Old 30-10-2009, 16:00   #20

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob denney View Post
Not sure where you got that from.

The original post:
Harryproas are available in 5m/15' (production boat, $US3,500), 6m/20' production boat and various cruisers and racers up to 26m/85'

amended:

Don't think I mentioned a 50'ter price anywhere. The only price is for the 5m/15'ter.

rob
Whoops

My apologies

Took the 15 to be 15 metres (puts glasses on)
Old 31-10-2009, 08:34   #21

Boat: Corsair F31"Susan C" & Sea Pearl 21"Maggie"
This is actually a very complex question. I suspect the developement of the early outriggers was limited by available materials. New material and technique open new avenues for developement. Outriggers tend to have a main hull with form stability while modern multis do not. Outriggers can't handle powerful sail rigs. Don't confuse outriggers and proas, outriggers tack and proas shunt. Each are good in a narrow range of differant conditions. Dave
Old 31-10-2009, 13:54   #22

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Here's a new one for ya!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown.jpeg
Views:	3333
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	10809  
Old 01-11-2009, 00:31   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOnCudjoe View Post
Don't confuse outriggers and proas, outriggers tack and proas shunt. Each are good in a narrow range of differant conditions. Dave

Care to elaborate on the narrow range of conditions proas are good in? And what you base the comment on.

Ta

regards,

Rov
Old 01-11-2009, 01:29   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-kow View Post
Thanks for the responses

I'm guessing to some extent, but I understand that having multiple hulls is an alternative to keels that adds stability and speed by reducing drag. If that's the case, then you think you'd seem more of the monohull design with an outrigger, or maybe an outrigger kit out there that would let you replace your keel in this way.

Is there some engineering issue with that idea that makes it impractical?
I could imagine there might be serious engineering issues with simply replacing a keel with a single outrigger in the way you suggest, on a bigger sailing boat. The hydrodynamics of a body vary significantly with wetted area. With a submersed keel the wetted area barely changes so its behaviour is pretty predictable in most seas. A single outrigger would be quite unpredictable on a bigger sailboat in rough conditions - imagine the stress if the outrigger dives into a wave while the main hull is in a trough, for example. You could engineer the necessary strength into it, I guess, but it would still make for an uncomfortable ride.

As c-kow mentioned, a single outrigger attached to a conventional sailing hull would need to be bouyant on one tack and heavy on the other - with a smaller boat you can assist that by shifting your own weight, but with a bigger boat I'm guessing you'd be starting to look at a pretty big outrigger in relation to your hull - adding to the engineering issues, and heading back to cat territory. Alternatively you can move the mast to the outrigger, as with the proas, but that wasn't your intial question I think.

I don't think an outrigger is the sort of thing you're likely to see in a kit as an alternative to a keel for a conventional, larger sailboat.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:31   #25

Boat: Corsair F31"Susan C" & Sea Pearl 21"Maggie"
Rob, My intention was not to slight the design or ignore the advances that people like you and Russel Brown have made. You're the expert here, perhaps it would be more construstive for you to explain the evolution of Pacific and Atlantic proas and why they carry their main hulls on opposite sides. I suspect that they were originally island trading vessels where a single tack would fetch the destination where the boat could be reconfigured and sailed home. Also that prevailing wave patterns dictated the placement of the main hull. Shunting seems fine given sea room but I suspect would be challenging in a confined area. Dave
Old 01-11-2009, 10:19   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOnCudjoe View Post
Rob, My intention was not to slight the design or ignore the advances that people like you and Russel Brown have made. You're the expert here, perhaps it would be more construstive for you to explain the evolution of Pacific and Atlantic proas and why they carry their main hulls on opposite sides. I suspect that they were originally island trading vessels where a single tack would fetch the destination where the boat could be reconfigured and sailed home. Also that prevailing wave patterns dictated the placement of the main hull. Shunting seems fine given sea room but I suspect would be challenging in a confined area. Dave
No offence taken. There is an article on harrys with a bit of background on opther types at harryproa/news/ Harrigami's progress 4 and some more information on the "articles" tab on Harryproa Home Page. Any questions, please let me know.

Paradix,
There are hydrodynamic reasons as well as engineering ones against simply replacing a keel with a second hull. But designed and engineered correctly, a proa is a far quicker, cheaper and more spacious boat than an equivalent length monohull.

regards,

rob
Old 02-11-2009, 11:53   #27

you know, I've got to wonder how many places there are wherein you can make an inquiry and have a designer respond. I've enjoyed this.

Thanks for the article, I'll be following what you do as it develops.
Old 02-11-2009, 15:04   #28

To feel what proa sailing really means look at this vid:
Old 22-10-2010, 03:54   #29

Re c-kow's original query about a outrigged monohull, below are pics of such a vessel. It's about 8m length by 4m and has surprising room below - chart table, 2 good bunks, galley, full head room in main cabin and of course plenty of deck space and storage in the outrigger. Has a pivoted centreboard. Sails a like a catamaran (ie, it's not a proa). It was built in ply about 40 years ago in Adelaide SA.
STHG.jpg
VKYK.jpg
VDSS.jpg
Old 22-10-2010, 05:15   #30

ok it seems that copy and paste doen't work for images on this site; I'll read the instructions and try again...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo CF1.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	20408   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo CF4.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	20409  

Name:	photo CF5.JPG