Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2009, 03:31   #16
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 135
Price is 3,200 Euros, which is currently $US4,800. Plus freight, duty and tax. Hard to keep up with currency fluctuations at the moment. Order a "few" and you will get a substantial discount, although it won't be as low as $US3,500 unless a few is 10 or more. Sorry for the error.

There is one just been delivered to France, another to NZ and there are 2 about to go to Germany. Biggest market so far is China (where they are built) and the site of the first proa sailing school.

regards,

rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Thanks Rob,

Can I order a few at that price please?
__________________

__________________
rob denney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 14:37   #17
Eternal Member
 
imagine2frolic's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Las Brisas Panama AGAIN!
Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Posts: 4,508
Images: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitched View Post
They race them in the Philippines - fantastic spectacle - and chaotic

Cruiser News March 08
These boats are more like waterbugs skimming on the water, and close to flying.......i2f
__________________

__________________
SAILING is not always a slick magazine cover!
BORROWED..No single one of is as smart as all of us!
http://sailingwithcancer.blogspot.com/
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 23:04   #18
Registered User
 
cat man do's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia [until the boats launched]
Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Posts: 4,409
Images: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob denney View Post
Price is 3,200 Euros, which is currently $US4,800. Plus freight, duty and tax. Hard to keep up with currency fluctuations at the moment. Order a "few" and you will get a substantial discount, although it won't be as low as $US3,500 unless a few is 10 or more. Sorry for the error.

There is one just been delivered to France, another to NZ and there are 2 about to go to Germany. Biggest market so far is China (where they are built) and the site of the first proa sailing school.

regards,

rob
A finished 50 foot proa for $4800 usd ?

Are you sure?
__________________
"Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you a yacht large enough to pull up right alongside it"...............David Lee Roth
Long Distance Motorboat Cruising It Is Possible on a Small Budget
cat man do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 00:19   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
A finished 50 foot proa for $4800 usd ?

Are you sure?
Not sure where you got that from.

The original post:
Harryproas are available in 5m/15' (production boat, $US3,500), 6m/20' production boat and various cruisers and racers up to 26m/85'

amended:
Price is 3,200 Euros, which is currently $US4,800. Plus freight, duty and tax. Hard to keep up with currency fluctuations at the moment. Order a "few" and you will get a substantial discount, although it won't be as low as $US3,500 unless a few is 10 or more. Sorry for the error.

Don't think I mentioned a 50'ter price anywhere. The only price is for the 5m/15'ter.

rob
__________________
rob denney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 17:00   #20
Registered User
 
cat man do's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia [until the boats launched]
Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Posts: 4,409
Images: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob denney View Post
Not sure where you got that from.

The original post:
Harryproas are available in 5m/15' (production boat, $US3,500), 6m/20' production boat and various cruisers and racers up to 26m/85'

amended:
Price is 3,200 Euros, which is currently $US4,800. Plus freight, duty and tax. Hard to keep up with currency fluctuations at the moment. Order a "few" and you will get a substantial discount, although it won't be as low as $US3,500 unless a few is 10 or more. Sorry for the error.

Don't think I mentioned a 50'ter price anywhere. The only price is for the 5m/15'ter.

rob
Whoops

My apologies

Took the 15 to be 15 metres (puts glasses on)
__________________
"Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you a yacht large enough to pull up right alongside it"...............David Lee Roth
Long Distance Motorboat Cruising It Is Possible on a Small Budget
cat man do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2009, 09:34   #21
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Florida Keys
Boat: Corsair F31"Susan C" & Sea Pearl 21"Maggie"
Posts: 261
This is actually a very complex question. I suspect the developement of the early outriggers was limited by available materials. New material and technique open new avenues for developement. Outriggers tend to have a main hull with form stability while modern multis do not. Outriggers can't handle powerful sail rigs. Don't confuse outriggers and proas, outriggers tack and proas shunt. Each are good in a narrow range of differant conditions. Dave
__________________
DaveOnCudjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2009, 14:54   #22
Senior Cruiser
 
delmarrey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Now in Blaine, WA
Boat: Modified Choate 40
Posts: 10,702
Images: 122
Here's a new one for ya!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown.jpeg
Views:	2523
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	10809  
__________________
Faithful are the Wounds of a Friend, but the Kisses of the Enemy are Deceitful! ........
A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves!

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:31   #23
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOnCudjoe View Post
Don't confuse outriggers and proas, outriggers tack and proas shunt. Each are good in a narrow range of differant conditions. Dave

Care to elaborate on the narrow range of conditions proas are good in? And what you base the comment on.

Ta

regards,

Rov
__________________
rob denney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:29   #24
Registered User
 
paradix's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australasia
Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-kow View Post
Thanks for the responses

I'm guessing to some extent, but I understand that having multiple hulls is an alternative to keels that adds stability and speed by reducing drag. If that's the case, then you think you'd seem more of the monohull design with an outrigger, or maybe an outrigger kit out there that would let you replace your keel in this way.

Is there some engineering issue with that idea that makes it impractical?
I could imagine there might be serious engineering issues with simply replacing a keel with a single outrigger in the way you suggest, on a bigger sailing boat. The hydrodynamics of a body vary significantly with wetted area. With a submersed keel the wetted area barely changes so its behaviour is pretty predictable in most seas. A single outrigger would be quite unpredictable on a bigger sailboat in rough conditions - imagine the stress if the outrigger dives into a wave while the main hull is in a trough, for example. You could engineer the necessary strength into it, I guess, but it would still make for an uncomfortable ride.

As c-kow mentioned, a single outrigger attached to a conventional sailing hull would need to be bouyant on one tack and heavy on the other - with a smaller boat you can assist that by shifting your own weight, but with a bigger boat I'm guessing you'd be starting to look at a pretty big outrigger in relation to your hull - adding to the engineering issues, and heading back to cat territory. Alternatively you can move the mast to the outrigger, as with the proas, but that wasn't your intial question I think.

I don't think an outrigger is the sort of thing you're likely to see in a kit as an alternative to a keel for a conventional, larger sailboat.
__________________
paradix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:31   #25
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Florida Keys
Boat: Corsair F31"Susan C" & Sea Pearl 21"Maggie"
Posts: 261
Rob, My intention was not to slight the design or ignore the advances that people like you and Russel Brown have made. You're the expert here, perhaps it would be more construstive for you to explain the evolution of Pacific and Atlantic proas and why they carry their main hulls on opposite sides. I suspect that they were originally island trading vessels where a single tack would fetch the destination where the boat could be reconfigured and sailed home. Also that prevailing wave patterns dictated the placement of the main hull. Shunting seems fine given sea room but I suspect would be challenging in a confined area. Dave
__________________
DaveOnCudjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:19   #26
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOnCudjoe View Post
Rob, My intention was not to slight the design or ignore the advances that people like you and Russel Brown have made. You're the expert here, perhaps it would be more construstive for you to explain the evolution of Pacific and Atlantic proas and why they carry their main hulls on opposite sides. I suspect that they were originally island trading vessels where a single tack would fetch the destination where the boat could be reconfigured and sailed home. Also that prevailing wave patterns dictated the placement of the main hull. Shunting seems fine given sea room but I suspect would be challenging in a confined area. Dave
No offence taken. There is an article on harrys with a bit of background on opther types at harryproa/news/ Harrigami's progress 4 and some more information on the "articles" tab on Harryproa Home Page. Any questions, please let me know.

Paradix,
There are hydrodynamic reasons as well as engineering ones against simply replacing a keel with a second hull. But designed and engineered correctly, a proa is a far quicker, cheaper and more spacious boat than an equivalent length monohull.

regards,

rob
__________________
rob denney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:53   #27
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 51
you know, I've got to wonder how many places there are wherein you can make an inquiry and have a designer respond. I've enjoyed this.

Thanks for the article, I'll be following what you do as it develops.
__________________
c-kow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 16:04   #28
Registered User
 
multihuller's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: turkey
Posts: 7
Images: 1
To feel what proa sailing really means look at this vid:
__________________
multihuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 04:54   #29
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 679
Re c-kow's original query about a outrigged monohull, below are pics of such a vessel. It's about 8m length by 4m and has surprising room below - chart table, 2 good bunks, galley, full head room in main cabin and of course plenty of deck space and storage in the outrigger. Has a pivoted centreboard. Sails a like a catamaran (ie, it's not a proa). It was built in ply about 40 years ago in Adelaide SA.
STHG.jpg
VKYK.jpg
VDSS.jpg
__________________
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 06:15   #30
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 679
ok it seems that copy and paste doen't work for images on this site; I'll read the instructions and try again...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo CF1.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	20408   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo CF4.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	20409  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo CF5.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	20410  
__________________

__________________
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yorktown Sailboats Charlie Monohull Sailboats 36 07-06-2016 12:58
Does Anyone Know Westsail Sailboats ? widget55 Liveaboard's Forum 130 13-01-2014 16:12
CF Sailboats Stede Monohull Sailboats 6 22-12-2012 04:42
Outrigger ? woopei Monohull Sailboats 5 05-10-2007 12:07



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:32.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.