Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-01-2014, 12:14   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: how big of a catamaran do we need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefhunter View Post
Nope what?
Nope, narrow hulls aren't bouncier at anchor. If anything they're less bouncy, as they're less buoyant, so won't respond to waves as much.

Daggerboards reduce leeway upwind, but they let also you sail faster on other points of sail due to less drag.

And daggerboards are antifouled, like the rest of the boat underwater, so unless you really neglect the boat, you don't get barnacles. And if you did get barnacles, you can scrape them off free.

Old 28-01-2014, 19:49   #32

Boat: between boats

What 44C said...

We sat out a blow in france last year ( 35 knot gusts into the bay) alongside a 450 lagoon and the difference in motion at anchor was noticable when on board each boat once the the wave action was up. fatter hulls rode up and down the wind slop much more. I was surprised in one respect as with monos usually the heavier the boat the calmer at anchor but with cats the heavier boats with fatter hulls lead to more vertical motion at least in this case

Also our daggerboards are usually only down when underway and then only around 25% of that time so fouling simply isnt an issue.

Old 29-01-2014, 08:36   #33

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Fidji, 42
pirate Re: how big of a catamaran do we need?

I've been sailing the Caribbean for the last twenty years on my catamaran. It is a Fountaine Pajot 39 that I stretched to 42 ft. by adding step transoms. Built before the current charter requirements of four cabins and four heads it is light and fast. If I had it to do all over again I would buy the same boat. Currently it is listed for sale on this site.
Old 29-01-2014, 14:07   #34

Boat: 28m Steel Tug - two in tow

Must be a different ocean over there. Here the daggerboards are only used to sail upwind. Never had one that was worth a tinkers bell. Much prefer the semi-displacement hulls.
Old 29-01-2014, 14:09   #35

Boat: 28m Steel Tug - two in tow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Really nope?

How's this - I'll make it easier to understand

narrow = faster, wetter,
wider = more load, slower
You are credible - not so sure about the others.
Old 29-01-2014, 17:35   #36

Boat: 55 Frers Mahog

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefhunter View Post
Must be a different ocean over there. Here the daggerboards are only used to sail upwind. Never had one that was worth a tinkers bell. Much prefer the semi-displacement hulls.
You're too funny!

Quote:
You are credible
I note you are a barge captain with varying interests around the world, so I would differ to you when it comes to moving large boats. I was a boat designer and builder - but now I'm just looking for a new venue.
Old 01-02-2014, 22:13   #37

All,

Thank you for taking the time to post you words of wisdom! Based on our budget and the adds I have been seeing, I think we are going to be limited to a 35'-40' - I know there are lots of variables involved, but it seems this size range would suffice (I hope!) from a safety perspective. I guess it will be up to us how much we laden it down with our "essentials"; mine are fishing equipment, my lab and beer
Old 01-02-2014, 22:20   #38
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: how big of a catamaran do we need?

Cats sure are different to Mono's... upwind I drop the keel for grip.. downwind I lift it for a faster slide...
But WTF do I know... only owned 2 cats..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:55   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Cats sure are different to Mono's... upwind I drop the keel for grip.. downwind I lift it for a faster slide...
But WTF do I know... only owned 2 cats..
Has anyone said any different?
Old 02-02-2014, 23:26   #40

What size cat? One that fits ...... Get onboard anything you shortlist as soon as you can, and check out the headroom. Unless you like stooping or hitting you head more than I do and I'm only 6'1". Lack of headroom, in hulls and in galley could be a showstopper. It turned me off the Lavezzi I almost traveled o/s to buy.

Also, both of you lie in the master berth together - then imagine its a warm and airless night. You will get some of those where you plan to cruise. Does it feel ok or is it like a sardine tin? Older boats under 40' can struggle on both of those comfort issues.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:13   #41

Boat: FP, Helia 44 Evo

These two cats are two large. May want a cat a bit smaller
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Meatball the cat.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	75225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fat slow cat.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	75226  

Old 04-02-2014, 03:34   #42
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ofowler View Post
Greetings all,

My wife and I are retiring from the military soon and are looking forward to sailing in the near future. We are planning to sail around the Caribbean - so no planned trips to Europe or pacific. It will be just us and maybe a dog and occasionally maybe one of our kids will join us whey they are out of school. Would a 30' to 38' boat suffice? The cost seems go up quite a bit going over 40'. thanks!
A 38' catamaran is luxury afloat and is more boat than 2 people kickin around the tropics need. A 27' boat would work for you if you and the wife are friendly ()

Do't forget to stop by the Catamaran for sale by owner website as there are a few boats listed in the Caribbean.
Old 04-02-2014, 18:34   #43

I too am retired from the Military (USMC). An odd consideration is how tall are you? Height goes up with length. A 30 foot cat is great for weekends or short trips, but not for cruising life. It is "camping". We had a 30 foot Maine Cat (great boat by the way). We spent up to 3 months in the Bahamas at a time - we had a ball, easy maintenance, but 3 months was the limit. Very few creature comforts. Remember every creature comfort comes with maintenance and repair. We now have Leopard 46 and have been live aboards for 5 1/2 years. More creature comfort and it is a home, but there is a lot more maintenance work. I am 6'3" and the headroom makes a big difference. One person can sail our boat, but it takes both of us to keep it clean and maintained. If you want to talk voice to voice send me your phone number.
Old 04-02-2014, 20:03   #44
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregwallick View Post
I too am retired from the Military (USMC). An odd consideration is how tall are you? Height goes up with length. A 30 foot cat is great for weekends or short trips, but not for cruising life. It is "camping". We had a 30 foot Maine Cat (great boat by the way). We spent up to 3 months in the Bahamas at a time - we had a ball, easy maintenance, but 3 months was the limit. Very few creature comforts. Remember every creature comfort comes with maintenance and repair. We now have Leopard 46 and have been live aboards for 5 1/2 years. More creature comfort and it is a home, but there is a lot more maintenance work. I am 6'3" and the headroom makes a big difference. One person can sail our boat, but it takes both of us to keep it clean and maintained. If you want to talk voice to voice send me your phone number.
We've owned and lived aboard cats between the lengths of 30' to 43' for close to twenty years and never considered any of it like camping, and I'm 6'4" tall. We also enjoy boats in the mid 30' range as anything larger to us is just a waste of space, money and time. Doesn't mean that our way is the right way for everyone though.
Old 04-02-2014, 20:14   #45

I agree that 46 is very big and probably bigger than needed. Actually may be more work. However, I think a 30' Maine Cat or a Gemini 105 are pretty tight and pushing it on the small side. At 30' cats have yet to get the real benefit of the multi-hull. Length grows linearly but volume grows at the cube. A few feet added on to 30' makes a huge difference. I think a good 36' or 38' is very livable. If I believe if 30' is camping then our 46' is John Madden's travel bus. 40' is very nice a spacious.

Tags
catamaran

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: