Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 11:54   #1

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
How about some Good Stories?

Does anyone have any "good sailing/catamaran" stories? It just seems like everything I've read... and all the stories I've heard... are generally like this:

"a boat is a hole in the water you throw money into.. I've spent.... blah blah blah)

or,
"This broke and this broke.. and when I got this fixed.. THAT broke.. more money.. another haul out.. blah blah blah"

and, lastly.. (my favorite.. NOT!!!)
".... look at this video of bad weather... boat capsized... coast guard rescue... sea sickness.. blah blah blah!!!"

I want to hear some lovely stories.. "wind in my face... sunrise.. sunset... marguaritas... dolphins waking us up".. Do those stories exist? or is it all bad?!?
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:02   #2

Boat: Leopard 40
Re: How about some good stories?

Yes there are actually a lot of days like this!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1393704075.316600.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	76974

Usually in between maintenance and spending money
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:22   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Name:	SDC10325.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	402.4 KB
ID:	76975you might have seen this already

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1235049
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:23   #4

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Does anyone have any "good sailing/catamaran" stories? It just seems like everything I've read... and all the stories I've heard... are generally like this:

"a boat is a hole in the water you throw money into.. I've spent.... blah blah blah)

or,
"This broke and this broke.. and when I got this fixed.. THAT broke.. more money.. another haul out.. blah blah blah"

and, lastly.. (my favorite.. NOT!!!)
".... look at this video of bad weather... boat capsized... coast guard rescue... sea sickness.. blah blah blah!!!"

I want to hear some lovely stories.. "wind in my face... sunrise.. sunset... marguaritas... dolphins waking us up".. Do those stories exist? or is it all bad?!?
Can't help you directly as we don't sail, but motor. However, every day is a new and bright day, knowing it's a new day and new experiences are ahead. Seeing something the first time or just differently. Meeting new people. Experiencing the beauty of nature. Finding things to see and do on land that appeal the most to you. For those of us who are boaters, who just want to be on the water, there is no where you can be as alive as on the water. Non boaters, non cruisers, will never understand. If we want to go a thousand miles away why not drive or get in a plane? Just because. Because going by water is what is right for us. Our cars sit in the garage 2/3 of the time, barely used. We fly primarily when we want to take a short break home.

In the past 10 days we've fished for bass on the Okeechobee, ridden horses on the beach, swam with dolphins. We've met some local artists and been in their studios. Seen not just their work but where they do it. Gotten to hear from them how they started and what they try to achieve. We've walked beautiful beaches in different places. All beach but so unique. We've watched sail boats on a weekend off Clearwater. In the past we've even gone for a sail in the middle of a trip, but never us doing any of the sailing. Oh we took the tender close to the alligators just watching them sun beside the lake. We've seen birds that we have no idea what they are nor do we really care, just that they were beautiful. We've watched sunrises and sunsets. All just a bit different and there is the experience of seeing them from different places. Not on this trip but in others we've explored uninhabited islands.

We've stayed an extra day somewhere simply because we decided we wanted more time there. We've changed plans along the way. We've felt the salt breeze in our hair. We've made love under the open sky with no land in sight. We've watched children play at the beach. Dogs running.

We love it all.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:43   #5

A nice sail in nice weather:

Still our favourite anchorage:

44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 13:04   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktiGurl View Post
Yes there are actually a lot of days like this!
Attachment 76974

Usually in between maintenance and spending money

Ya HAD to throw that in there!!!
Old 01-03-2014, 13:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Can't help you directly as we don't sail, but motor. However, every day is a new and bright day, knowing it's a new day and new experiences are ahead. Seeing something the first time or just differently. Meeting new people. Experiencing the beauty of nature. Finding things to see and do on land that appeal the most to you. For those of us who are boaters, who just want to be on the water, there is no where you can be as alive as on the water. Non boaters, non cruisers, will never understand. If we want to go a thousand miles away why not drive or get in a plane? Just because. Because going by water is what is right for us. Our cars sit in the garage 2/3 of the time, barely used. We fly primarily when we want to take a short break home.

In the past 10 days we've fished for bass on the Okeechobee, ridden horses on the beach, swam with dolphins. We've met some local artists and been in their studios. Seen not just their work but where they do it. Gotten to hear from them how they started and what they try to achieve. We've walked beautiful beaches in different places. All beach but so unique. We've watched sail boats on a weekend off Clearwater. In the past we've even gone for a sail in the middle of a trip, but never us doing any of the sailing. Oh we took the tender close to the alligators just watching them sun beside the lake. We've seen birds that we have no idea what they are nor do we really care, just that they were beautiful. We've watched sunrises and sunsets. All just a bit different and there is the experience of seeing them from different places. Not on this trip but in others we've explored uninhabited islands.

We've stayed an extra day somewhere simply because we decided we wanted more time there. We've changed plans along the way. We've felt the salt breeze in our hair. We've made love under the open sky with no land in sight. We've watched children play at the beach. Dogs running.

We love it all.
*sniff sniff* Thank you.. I needed that!
Old 01-03-2014, 13:11   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Still our favourite anchorage:

Beautiful anchorage... care to share where that is?
Old 01-03-2014, 23:11   #9

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Hill Inlet. Whitsunday Island, Australia.

Dries out at low tide. Ideal for private Catamarans although the charter cats are not allowed to anchor there.

Lookout for the mud crabs. Check it out on google earth.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 13:57   #10

Boat: Lagoon 420
Send a message via Skype™ to casablanca
Re: How about some Good Stories?

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1393883745.759393.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	77077

Another pic of Hill Inlet. Voted second best beach in the world I believe.
casablanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 17:52   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Inspiring
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 18:10   #12

Boat: never mind...

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1393899035.319886.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	77083
iSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 19:10   #13

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Old 03-03-2014, 19:17   #14

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Old 03-03-2014, 20:36   #15

Boat: irwin 37 center cockpit

last summer I took 10 days off to go sailing. I had no real plan as to where I was going, nor did I have any time to get there. so Friday afternoon I went to the bank, stop and shop, o'neils (had to get some beer and wine) then went down to my boat. I left my slip at about 5, and was in new harbor block island by 8. after I got my anchor set I hopped in the dink and went in to see some of my buddies that work out there for the summer. had dinner at charlies house and was back to the boat for 1030. I woke up around 7 and decided that I would sail to long island for some lunch and those delightful iced teas they are so well known for. by around sunset I was feeling pretty good and decided it was time for some dinner. i set up my grill, get the charcoal going and go below to prep my steak. now i guess somebody saw the charcoal burning from the beach and thought my boat was on fire, so they called the fire department. now by the time they show up (about 5 minutes after i start my grill) my charcoal went out (must have gotten wet somehow) so i was on the stern with my outboard gas can re lighting the grill. they didn't seem to think it was the best idea but the match was already on the way to the grill and they couldn't stop it. after being told that i was not supposed to be using open flame in a harbor they left and i had some tasty steak with grilled vegies. i got up around 7, and left Montauk around 830. i had no real plans as to where i would go but ended up in Clinton Connecticut. it's actually a nice little town, and as luck would have it they were having a concert that night so as i sat in my cockpit catching some blue crabs i got to listen to a local band that covered jimmy buffet really well. when i left the next day i figured i would continue going west down long island sound and maybe see the statue of liberty and new York. going thru hells gate was an experience and slow as i was going against the tide, but man, seeing new York from the water was well worth it. if you have never seen the statue of liberty up close you should, it is something i will never forget. i spent a couple days in nyc and decided that i would go back and spend another day in Clinton. after a night in Clinton i figured i would go to mystic and check that out. they have a really cool seaport and aquarium that was worth the admission and i would recommend to anyone. when i left mystic i went back to block island for a couple days and was home in time to catch the lines on the fishing boat i work on. it was a great trip and i can't wait till this summer so i can have another vacation like that. (although i think i will go north and hit marthas vineyard, Nantucket and then cape cod.)
fisherman.ben is offline   Reply With Quote