Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2014, 05:18   #46

Re: How about some Good Stories?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Good story?
One evening in early January around Milne Bay (Don't ask me what day - who keeps track of the calendar when you are out in this)

Your picture at anchorage is now my desktop picture.

Lovely!
PDA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:58   #47

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Alright... Here is some "Back of the Napkin" from memory math on Bumfuzzle's trip.. I just wanted to post this to clear up what I said earlier...

$3500(averaage per month spent) X 36(months) = $126,000
Boat cost $165,000
Boat Repair $40,000

Resale of Boat = $140,000

$151,000 Cost of 3 years travelling the world in a boat eating pizza and drinking beer.

Many cruising couples spend way less per month, and some spend more.. I guess the point is that kind of money is not completely out of the realm of possibility for anyone. To me.. Thats a good story....
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:55   #48

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

I have read their adventure and there far from done and sailing is not all they did. sine there doing what they want to do and not what you want to do why judge. They also have the most complete break down of all there cost and expences for both the cat and mono.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 14:13   #49

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Am I the only one that sees the Bumfuzzle story as kinda sad? They cashed in and had a wonderful three years, now what? Back to reality?
I'm delaying a couple of years so when I go, I don't come back, I admit it would have been wonderful to have done it when I was younger though
NO. See scuba0 below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
I have read their adventure and there far from done and sailing is not all they did. sine there doing what they want to do and not what you want to do why judge. They also have the most complete break down of all there cost and expences for both the cat and mono.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

They went from Cat to VW van all over Central America to Mono. I have not kept up but think they are still at it. I know they have one child now but think it is two.
Some people take a little risk and go and some can't seem to shove off.
Old 07-03-2014, 16:55   #50

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Good story?
One evening in early January around Milne Bay (Don't ask me what day - who keeps track of the calendar when you are out in this)
wow... breathtaking..
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 16:58   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDA1 View Post
I don't have any great stories yet....except those sad ones of stuff falling overboard. But since we've been sailing for only about 1 year I can emphatically say the following;

- Anyone that thinks sailing is expensive never owned a house and if they did own a house they never repaired it or fixed it up.

Read that line again and let it burn into your memory.

- A house is a pain-in-the-neck and is part of the "American Dream". (I'll explain the American Dream later).

- Even if you do the work on your house yourself the material cost is high- new roof- $2000. New kitchen $10,000 (I'm not talking about some flunky-dumpster kitchen but a modest nice one). New bathrooms are about $5000.

- HORRENDOUS school taxes, City taxes, sewer bills, water bills....every year!

- Yard care (cutting the grass every week for months on end)

- Utility costs....every month.

- Houses DO NOT appreciate in value- inflation (increase of the money supply) creates the illusion that your house has gone up in price. Though, to be fair, if you do improve your house you might be able to ask for more when you sell your house.

- The mortgage. The banker gets 3 times the amount of money he loaned you.

It seems to me that a house is much more expensive to own than a boat. Of course, a lot of what I'm suggesting is dependent upon you doing the work on the boat yourself. Marina fees on the East coast are very high and more expensive per square foot than a house.

Ah...the American Dream! To own a house, 2 cars in the garage! Make money....

It's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.

You know.. I hear you!! I have lost track, over the years, how much our house has truly cost us. We bought a fixer upper.. and with the exception of flooring on the main level.. and one small bathroom.. we have basically redone EVERYTHING... we've also had major hail damage... mantainance on our deck.. landscaping issues... cracked driveways. Plus.. the taxes... the insurance... the interest.. Yup.. very expensive. FOR US!! that being said.. there are people who live in our neighborhood who have never done a thing to their house, other than cut the grass... So.. I guess it comes down to how much you take care of your stuff!
Old 07-03-2014, 17:02   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
I guess it partly matters what is a good story to you....

Is your preference natural beauty? Enjoy dawns and sunsets; enjoy the visitations of dolphins and whales?

Town and marina pleasures, too, can be many.
'

Is it a tale where the protagonist overcomes difficulties and arrives at a good place?

Has it to do with people resolving long-standing inter-relational problems?

For you, Scarlet, what would be a good story? ....Anent the Bumfuzzles, were you aware they solicited funding from others? Is that okay with you?

There is a huge, variety filled world out here.....

Ann
Ann, I want the smell of the ocean.. and the breezes on my face! I want to skim over the ocean as fast as I can go! I want to wake up every morning, and go for a swim.. or snorkle... I want to walk on the beach... and hike up a volcano. And I'm crazy about animals! a great "story" would be a dolphin swimming in our wake.. or crossing the path of a sea turtle... or maybe even a manatee... I want birds, and fish... and coral and seashells.. and mountains and trees... I'm so freaking tired of working in a cube everyday. I want an adventure... I want to be outside!
Old 07-03-2014, 17:08   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Alright... Here is some "Back of the Napkin" from memory math on Bumfuzzle's trip.. I just wanted to post this to clear up what I said earlier...

$3500(averaage per month spent) X 36(months) = $126,000
Boat cost $165,000
Boat Repair $40,000

Resale of Boat = $140,000

$151,000 Cost of 3 years travelling the world in a boat eating pizza and drinking beer.

Many cruising couples spend way less per month, and some spend more.. I guess the point is that kind of money is not completely out of the realm of possibility for anyone. To me.. Thats a good story....
Your math is off about $40,000.. but your point is wonderful! and you are right.. that isn't all that bad at all! I'd be happy if we came out about the same...
Old 07-03-2014, 20:22   #54

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Your math is off about $40,000.. but your point is wonderful! and you are right.. that isn't all that bad at all! I'd be happy if we came out about the same...
Yup... missed the 40K in my numbers.. You can definitely come out cheaper if you try.. No questions..

Another good blog with great stories (and cheaper budget)...
S/V Totem - a family sailing the world

Great stories, and very transparent in their budget...

P.S. This women is doing it with 3 kids....
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:53   #55

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Years ago we were sailing from Fla. to the Bahamas. We made it away from the coast OK and then the wind quit so we motored for too long. That nasty old Gulf Stream was total glass. We decided to kill the engine and take a dip right there in the middle of nowhere. Then we decided to have a good time and swore that we weren't going to budge until the wind did. We are seriously acting silly when up comes this big cabin cruiser. They thought we might be having trouble because we were just floatin out there. Those motor boaters could see that this was where the action was so they tied up to us and we partied like it was 1984. Actually it was around 1984 I think. They had some huge home style stereo speakers and we rocked it. By the morning the wind picked up and we parted ways.

Now that was a party.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:43   #56

Boat: Lagoon 420
Send a message via Skype™ to casablanca

Sold the house. Bought a boat. Haven't looked back.

That's it.

This is the view tonight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1394530927.638722.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	77363
casablanca is offline   Reply With Quote