Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2014, 16:19   #31
Senior Cruiser
 
Therapy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Posts: 6,894
Images: 4
Re: How about some Good Stories?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
My first thought is.. WHERE DO THESE PEOPLE GET THE MONEY TO DO THIS?!?!? now granted.. they aren't traveling in high style.. but.. just the vacation time they need to do some of this. some of these adventures are months or YEARS long...

I swear.. somewhere in my life I made a wrong turn..
You missed the turn at Wall Street where he made a "ton" as a trader.
__________________

__________________
Who knows what is next.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 19:52   #32
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,654
Re: How about some Good Stories?

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
I would recommend you read their blog, or buy their book..

A quick summary.. He made a fair amount of money in commodities trading and this funded them for the 3 years they were out (plus selling everything they owned).. Its not as much money as you would think.. I did the math once and it was under 400K even with the cost of their boat.

As to vacation... You don't need to take vacation time when you just quite working..

This was one of their pet peeves.. People assumed they came from money cause no one could possibly do this... CALCULATED RISKS, thats the secret.

Under $400k not a lot of money? Damn I'm poor!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________

__________________
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 21:06   #33
Registered User
 
Capt Phil's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Stateline NV
Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Posts: 2,749
Re: How about some Good Stories?

Not sure this qualifies but during the IWA strike in BC in 1958, I was laid off the towboat I was working on with no logs to tow. A buddy took me to a United Fisherman and Allied Workers Union meeting at the Labor Temple on East Broadway in Vancouver where I met Homer Stevens who ran the union and was also the head of the Communist Party in Canada. He hired me to organize fishermen on the west coast, gave me a small gillnetter, a case of whiskey and a pile of union cards and told me to head up coast and sign up all the fishermen I could find.
I hit Bones Bay, an old Nelson Bros cannery where a bunch of trollers and gillnetters were anchored so I proceeded into the anchorage and drove around inviting them over for a drink with the objective of signing them up in the union.
As I swung out to drop the hook, a couple of obviously Company men strolled down the dock and opened fire on my boat shooting out the wheelhouse windows with their 30-30's and a few rounds into the wheelhouse walls. This encouraged me to head back out and back to Alert Bay where I called Homer on the payphone at the Nimpkish Hotel at the top of the government dock and told him where he could pick up his gillnetter!
Those were exciting days for a young fella and were brought back to mind by a contemporary worrior who asked me if I'd ever been shot at. An unusual experience for a canuck... cheers, Phil
__________________
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 21:14   #34
Registered User
 
travellerw's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Martinique
Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Posts: 1,725
Re: How about some Good Stories?

Maybe I was too flippant.. 400K is a lot of money... but think back in 2004 when housing was soaring.. I'm guessing they made 150-200K on their condo alone (Basically bought their boat)..

What I admire about them.. There is a saying "My castle for that experience".. They lived that saying.. Literally selling everything and being prepared to spend it all just for the experience..

In any case, my point was, that they weren't millionaires (400K is reachable for many people). Pat was simply a guy that understood calculated risk and spent a few years trading in commodities futures (READ HIS BOOK IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS IS). He had a knack for it and did well..

Today.. They are still out there (now in a RV).. They now make money on their books and trading in the stock markets (not day trading).

Back to the thread at hand.. They have hundreds of "Good Stories"...
__________________
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 21:49   #35
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Boat: 45' CC ketch
Posts: 332
Re: How about some Good Stories?

Yeah, that's what happens when you go from a multi to mono. Sooner or later you end up in a trailer.
__________________
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 22:42   #36
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 830
Images: 27
Re: How about some Good Stories?

From the Bumfuzzle Blog.





__________________
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:38   #37
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: St. Louis
Boat: 1983 oday 22'
Posts: 661
Re: How about some Good Stories?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Not sure this qualifies but during the IWA strike in BC in 1958, I was laid off the towboat I was working on with no logs to tow. A buddy took me to a United Fisherman and Allied Workers Union meeting at the Labor Temple on East Broadway in Vancouver where I met Homer Stevens who ran the union and was also the head of the Communist Party in Canada. He hired me to organize fishermen on the west coast, gave me a small gillnetter, a case of whiskey and a pile of union cards and told me to head up coast and sign up all the fishermen I could find.
I hit Bones Bay, an old Nelson Bros cannery where a bunch of trollers and gillnetters were anchored so I proceeded into the anchorage and drove around inviting them over for a drink with the objective of signing them up in the union.
As I swung out to drop the hook, a couple of obviously Company men strolled down the dock and opened fire on my boat shooting out the wheelhouse windows with their 30-30's and a few rounds into the wheelhouse walls. This encouraged me to head back out and back to Alert Bay where I called Homer on the payphone at the Nimpkish Hotel at the top of the government dock and told him where he could pick up his gillnetter!
Those were exciting days for a young fella and were brought back to mind by a contemporary worrior who asked me if I'd ever been shot at. An unusual experience for a canuck... cheers, Phil
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!! Oh my goodness!! you had me in stitches!!!!!!
__________________
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:39   #38
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: St. Louis
Boat: 1983 oday 22'
Posts: 661
Re: How about some Good Stories?

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Maybe I was too flippant.. 400K is a lot of money... but think back in 2004 when housing was soaring.. I'm guessing they made 150-200K on their condo alone (Basically bought their boat)..

What I admire about them.. There is a saying "My castle for that experience".. They lived that saying.. Literally selling everything and being prepared to spend it all just for the experience..

In any case, my point was, that they weren't millionaires (400K is reachable for many people). Pat was simply a guy that understood calculated risk and spent a few years trading in commodities futures (READ HIS BOOK IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS IS). He had a knack for it and did well..

Today.. They are still out there (now in a RV).. They now make money on their books and trading in the stock markets (not day trading).

Back to the thread at hand.. They have hundreds of "Good Stories"...
I'm definitely working my way through that!
__________________
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:41   #39
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: St. Louis
Boat: 1983 oday 22'
Posts: 661
Re: How about some Good Stories?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Frog View Post
Yeah, that's what happens when you go from a multi to mono. Sooner or later you end up in a trailer.
I'm starting to see a trend on this board...
__________________
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:43   #40
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 10,710
Re: How about some Good Stories?

I guess it partly matters what is a good story to you....

Is your preference natural beauty? Enjoy dawns and sunsets; enjoy the visitations of dolphins and whales?

Town and marina pleasures, too, can be many.
'

Is it a tale where the protagonist overcomes difficulties and arrives at a good place?

Has it to do with people resolving long-standing inter-relational problems?

For you, Scarlet, what would be a good story? ....Anent the Bumfuzzles, were you aware they solicited funding from others? Is that okay with you?

There is a huge, variety filled world out here.....

Ann
__________________
Ann, with Jim, aboard US s/v Insatiable II, in Oz, very long term cruisers
JPA Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:43   #41
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 17,058
Re: How about some Good Stories?

Am I the only one that sees the Bumfuzzle story as kinda sad? They cashed in and had a wonderful three years, now what? Back to reality?
I'm delaying a couple of years so when I go, I don't come back, I admit it would have been wonderful to have done it when I was younger though
__________________
a64pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:05   #42
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 6,713
Re: How about some Good Stories?

Good story?
One evening in early January around Milne Bay (Don't ask me what day - who keeps track of the calendar when you are out in this)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AlotauSunset1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	77218  
__________________
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:09   #43
senior windbag
 
Cuttyhunk's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: northeast USA
Boat: EndeavourCat 36
Posts: 373
Re: How about some Good Stories?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Am I the only one that sees the Bumfuzzle story as kinda sad? They cashed in and had a wonderful three years, now what? Back to reality?
I'm delaying a couple of years so when I go, I don't come back, I admit it would have been wonderful to have done it when I was younger though

I did it for two years in my early 30s (just over 20 years ago). Then I went back to work. I am SO glad I did. People die young for all sorts of random reasons. Now I am planning another trip/adventure/lifestyle change, on a different (more comfortable!) boat. I doubt we will be out there for 30 years this time, either, but it could happen. Many of the (older) cruisers out there with me 20 years ago segued to RVs with a land base (I.e., house) after cruising for a few years. We have a land base we will keep and use whenever we need a break.
__________________
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:16   #44
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 332
Re: How about some Good Stories?

I don't have any great stories yet....except those sad ones of stuff falling overboard. But since we've been sailing for only about 1 year I can emphatically say the following;

- Anyone that thinks sailing is expensive never owned a house and if they did own a house they never repaired it or fixed it up.

Read that line again and let it burn into your memory.

- A house is a pain-in-the-neck and is part of the "American Dream". (I'll explain the American Dream later).

- Even if you do the work on your house yourself the material cost is high- new roof- $2000. New kitchen $10,000 (I'm not talking about some flunky-dumpster kitchen but a modest nice one). New bathrooms are about $5000.

- HORRENDOUS school taxes, City taxes, sewer bills, water bills....every year!

- Yard care (cutting the grass every week for months on end)

- Utility costs....every month.

- Houses DO NOT appreciate in value- inflation (increase of the money supply) creates the illusion that your house has gone up in price. Though, to be fair, if you do improve your house you might be able to ask for more when you sell your house.

- The mortgage. The banker gets 3 times the amount of money he loaned you.

It seems to me that a house is much more expensive to own than a boat. Of course, a lot of what I'm suggesting is dependent upon you doing the work on the boat yourself. Marina fees on the East coast are very high and more expensive per square foot than a house.

Ah...the American Dream! To own a house, 2 cars in the garage! Make money....

It's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.
__________________
PDA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:16   #45
senior windbag
 
Cuttyhunk's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: northeast USA
Boat: EndeavourCat 36
Posts: 373
Re: How about some Good Stories?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
My first thought is.. WHERE DO THESE PEOPLE GET THE MONEY TO DO THIS?!?!? now granted.. they aren't traveling in high style.. but.. just the vacation time they need to do some of this. some of these adventures are months or YEARS long...

I swear.. somewhere in my life I made a wrong turn..

But aren't you looking at half-million dollar ( or more) boats pretty exclusively? That puts you into rarified air to me. I just ventured into six figures for my current boat and that seemed like a heck of a lot to me.
__________________

__________________
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Look Good, Feel Good! LBlackwell Vendor Spotlight - Great Deals for CF Members! 0 09-12-2011 08:20
Good Books on Cabinetry Ex-Calif Construction, Maintenance & Refit 9 05-12-2011 20:40
Cairns to Perth Part 1 Bartlettsrise Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans 1 11-09-2011 00:38



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:49.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.