Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-03-2012, 17:16   #31

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Hot-rodding a Lagoon 440.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I started laughing out loud on this post, and continued to laugh throughout the next five or six. Funniest thread I've read in years.

If I ever see a square-top main on a Lagoon, I assure you I'll be looking for the chrome wheels and the foxtail and laughing all the while.
T'was meant to be a light hearted thread and at the same time get the thought process going.

I have more than enough experience sailing both mono's and cats small and large However you can always pick up some good ideas.

Just going through the postings it seems there is a gaining of knowledge for everyone.

A Lagoon 440 is a very comfortable cruiser i see no problem tweaking it a little here and there it's all good stuff.

Cheers

Old 08-03-2012, 17:32   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I am dissapointed that no one has mention lining the entire interior with synthetic fur (red would work well ---
David -
Let's be realistic. You know perfectly well that all that red fur would obscure the mirrors.

Old 08-03-2012, 19:01   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Probably the best bang for your buck is going to start with folding props. You should gain 1/2 to 3/4 knot when sailing. You should also gain 1/2 knot of speed when motoring using one engine. I did a calculation a year ago that came out with diesel savings from motoring after 4 years would pay for 1/2 of the folding props cost.

What do you have for down wind sails? Asym, gennekker, do you set them regularly?
Agree on the props that is a given.

I'm more thinking of setting up twin code zero's of equal size to 'wing and wing'.
I see 2 choices of set up, I can easily make up a robust twin prodder and run them identically outside the rails or run the second one in place of the genoa.

Just a thought, i loved 'wing a wing' on our mono.....

Cheers Frank.
Old 08-03-2012, 19:06   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha View Post
Regarding lowering the boom: check with the Lagoon designer first as it may lead to too much sail area and/or instability. We were thinking of changing the rake on Jeanneau Sun Odyssey. Some consciencious rigger suggested we check with the designer first. We got a resounding "NO" from the designer and are happy we didn't go down that road.
Ah but the thread was "in the spirit of hot rodding". No self-respecting hot-rodder ever asked anyone....

Cheers
Old 08-03-2012, 19:08   #35

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha View Post
Regarding folding/feathering props: look into Kiwi props (the new ones). The weight savings are amazing: metal props are at least 10 times the weight of Kiwi. Props that is.
I don't think the Kiwi props would be robust enough on a heavy vessel such as a lagoon 440.

Something more robust and unfortunately more expensive called for. Quite a few cases on various forums of issues with Kiwi's.

Cheers
Old 08-03-2012, 19:09   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
How about lowering the boom, new square top sail,AND increase sail size-feathering props,empty the water tanks,adding a water maker so you need to hold less water/kep clean bottom- what more can be done its built like a tank!(BEAUTFUL TANK!)
Thanks we'll be doing all what you've said as a matter of course.... Cheers
Old 08-03-2012, 19:13   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Good question.

I think Lagoon4us just has too much time on his hands to kill at present talking about hot-rodding
Sure have got time on hands, retired early now awaiting settlement on our family home then we are off ....17 days and counting.

Cheers
Old 09-03-2012, 20:16   #38

Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Fling

I would love to hear and perhaps understand the logic and reasoning that made you move from a Catana 471 to a L440

thanks in anticipation
I certainly won't be engaging in negative talk about any kind of cat here ... They ALL have pro's and cons and we all chose our cats for things that we find important. We cruise the world on our vessels and as such living space functionality is pretty high on our list of priorities .... And we want performance too.
I have pretty broad shoulders and like to walk through my boat without having to turn sideways. Performance is also important to me as well as the areas on a boat that allow for different relaxation spaces ... In different weather conditions.
I never decide alone ... We are a team and I listen to the things Mrs. enjoys too ... She wanted to change to the Lagoon 440 given the fact that we were embarking on a more extensive world cruise and wanted the boat for a different set of reasons altogether .... Including nice views out of the windows, homely feel, fair performance, safety features etc. Etc.
Currently, we are considering the Lagoon 560 which we looked at at the Miami boat show ... Reason being that the kids are wanting to join us more often.
I am not sure about the performance of a 560 .... Looking at it for different reasons but if we decide that's the way to go, we have told Lagoon that we will want to sail one in differing weather conditions .... They have agreed to that!
What I was saying earlier on this thread is that although we can identify with the performance aspect of the Catana, we can also state that a Lagoon 440 has good performance qualities.
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 20:21   #39

Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Quote:
Originally Posted by moggie
21 knots? are you sure?
I know it's a mind twister .. But yes ... I am 100% sure. I am not trying to claim this as a regular speed for Lagoon 440's, but we reached it and the boat was fine!
Could have done with a more responsive auto pilot ....
We achieved the speed in strong weather against Ana's wishes whilst crossing the Atlantic and regularly achieved 17 knots.
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 21:37   #40

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River,j/100 BJ

Look you bought a house boat-just kick back and have another beer and enjoy the ride.
Old 09-03-2012, 22:00   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
Look you bought a house boat-just kick back and have another beer and enjoy the ride.
A house boat that can sail the world! What's wrong with improving the pace a little? The thread was intended to get positive comments flowing.

Folding props give an extra 3/4 knot important in light airs, keeping weight off will maintain 1/2 windspeed figures, twin headsails or parasailer will give light air improvements.

All positive stuff. Kick back i will but with a rum instead... Cheers
Old 09-03-2012, 23:17   #42
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now working Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
30 degrees...genoa track all the way to the front
Thanks impi...we'll try that as 30 degrees would be a big pinch in our experience.

We too love our L440 (apart from Lagoon seeming determined not to honor their warranty obligations in good faith, pity about that really) and we are very happy with her performance. We say that after now ~16000nm on her. We too noted 21kn as our top speed, along with regular episoides in the mid-teens and higher, altho ~7-9kn would be the 'norm'...and a very comfortable norm too!

We are definitely not into 'hot rodding'. A house boat that can sail the world in comfort suits us just fine.
Old 09-03-2012, 23:28   #43
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now working Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
thinking of setting up twin code zero's of equal size to 'wing and wing'.
I see 2 choices of set up, I can easily make up a robust twin prodder and run them identically outside the rails or run the second one in place of the genoa.

Just a thought, i loved 'wing a wing' on our mono
We find wing-on-wing easy, comfortable and quick too with just the factory main -- Ours is the square top -- and genoa, both reefed to the conditions as appropriate and both braced with preventers. We use two 'preventers'/braces on the genoa, one to the mid-ships cleat and the other to the forward cleat; that seems to hold the genoa nicely in place and prevent those annoying swings into or across the mast (with the radar and other snag hazards)...and she well-and-truly scoots along in that setup.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:27   #44
Armchair Bucketeer

Reduce weight.

Remove the guardrails and stanchions - as Cats always sail flat they are unneccessary.

Cut the deck saloon off ....and replace with a small windshield, in front of a bucket seat .

Probably also want to move the engines into the bow to acheive "the look" .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 14:33   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
I don't think the Kiwi props would be robust enough on a heavy vessel such as a lagoon 440.

Something more robust and unfortunately more expensive called for. Quite a few cases on various forums of issues with Kiwi's.

Cheers
In April 2011 they changed the design of the blade to counteract the free rotation issues (there is now a "bump" on either both sides or one side of each blade depending on the engine type).

They also came out with a new, 4-bladed version that is spec'ed up to 100hp engines: http://www.kiwiprops.us/ I was thinking that this new version might be plenty good for a Lagoon 440...

Tags
lagoon, Lagoon 440

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: