Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2011, 04:22   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Homebuilt catamaran

In that budget your only choice is a Wharram.... or a Wharram...
But don't let that put you of... they're good sea boats and tried and tested Voyager's with all the deck space you could need that can be made sheltered easily with an aero dynamic sprayhood over the central deck area.. folds down when heavy weather..
OK... not yer Flashy Placi boat... but more than adequate for the job...
The Tiki 38 schooner comes to mind... build your own timber box section masts or just alloy tubes.. sails are Gaff Wing sleeved so minimum fittings and no tracks needed.. or a boom for that matter...
It can be done.. just have to give up that 'Fantasy Yacht' in your OP....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 05:08   #17
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Re: Homebuilt catamaran

I'm going to agree with Motion on this one. Buy something like this:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f64/saw-this-cross-28-trimaran-on-ebay-down-in-st-pete-for-3000-a-72634.html

Fix it up, go sailing. Its a trimaran. Closest you can come to avoiding waves. Learn about boats, and what works and what doesn't.

Consider it research and development. You can sell the tri later for what you have into it.
Old 24-12-2011, 08:41   #18

Re: Homebuilt catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillw View Post
Disagree totally!. Go out and price sails, mast, rigging, hatches, motors, windows, electrical & electronics, deck winches and fittings, windlasses, anchor, tender, tanks, heads etc and if you have change from $30K I'll be very surprised! Then add your your ply, resins (epoxy or Vinylester), multiaxial glass, fillers, paint, daily consumeables etc and you will find that 44C is closer to the ball park. I am currently building a cat! My mast, deck fittings, rigging, sails, sail drives, paint just to name a few items will cost in excess of $125K. If you want to build a cheaper cat then build a power cat, otherwise look at a mono. $85K of the amount quoted above is unique to a sailing cat and buys a hell of a lot of fuel even at today's prices. Then you have to budget to replace sails and rigging every 5-7yrs at $20K plus, so a sailing cat is not as cheap as a lot of people think.
I have not only priced out all the these things but i have bought all material needed for a 31',5200 disp tri. Foam , biax ,S-2 glass ,Kevlar, silvertip epoxy. ect not the low end poly and ply. Andersen winches, bomar hood CE portlights and hatch,s, priced out with a 14 hp indoard, blue water ready, between $45,000 and $50,000. It comes down to how long you want to wait on a good deal, and what you want to do with the boat. I paid about $150 for a andersen #10 winch then bought 6 new ones on craigslist list for $50 bucks each. It will take a lot of time and work to build a cat for 30k to 40k but it can be done. Rick
rberrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 09:08   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Homebuilt Catamaran

i just love these threads,but in all reality 20-30k goes nowhere these days on a new build to get it up and ocean sailing.

it is possable ,but by the same token i,ve nearly 30 years experiance,that alone would cost a few million..

see the wharram eco cat thread
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 09:22   #20
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i just love these threads,but in all reality 20-30k goes nowhere these days on a new build to get it up and ocean sailing.

it is possable ,but by the same token i,ve nearly 30 years experiance,that alone would cost a few million..
Yeah, the learning curve on anything (not just boats) costs money.

Quote:
see the wharram eco cat thread
Quick way for all mods cons accomadation would be to put a trailor tent (or even a folding Caravan?!) on deck - possibly minus the wheels and tow hitch ........for in port use - might not survice a F10 , but nowadays these things are intended to cope with more than a puff of wind.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 09:30   #21
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

We met this Russian cat... their hulls were titanium from submarines and the superstructure was an overturned life boat or something like that. They went wherever they wanted to go with it...

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 10:32   #22
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Wharram Tiki 30 Abaco

I can't build a new Wharram that size forthatmoney even simple with fir ply. There is a certain amount of stuff you have to buy for any boatof a given size. Sure, you don't need furlers and spinnakers and ball bearing blocks and winches and you can build it with the cheapest epoxy you can find and have every decision made by low cost alone. Now you will get aboat that looks like many ofthe Wharrams seen sailing around the world. There are people that build boats like this and sailthem. I prefer a boat that will sail well and provide me with a reasonable level of comfort.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
boatsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 10:54   #23

You wont build a cat like he has shown in his post for 20k ,not even 40k to 50k. You can build a cat 5000lb to 6000lb disp for the 30k to 40k range. Wood and good epoxy priced out on my build at around $12,500, I added another 30% by going with foam. You cant buy one sheet of ply or a gl. of epoxy at a time, you have to buy bulk. Once you get into fitting out the boat the questions range from new to used, quility, what do I need and what can I do without. If part of building is not about the build it self then I would say buy an used boat as there are alot of good deals out there on older tris. Rick
rberrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran