Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: would you try to get someone to buy you a boat?
Yes 5 38.46%
NO 7 53.85%
MABYE 1 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2008, 20:49   #1

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
Hi Guys Need some help

Here's the story I did research and found that LEOPARDS are good charter boats and I found fully equiped 2000-2005's for less than 300,000 they've been used for charter so I could probably get them for less than asking price but they've been professionally maintained so they are in good condition and i'm trying to talk my dad into investing in a boat that he can use for charter and I can sail on vacations, then I get my license when i'm 18 and can do crewed charters on the boat that way I get a boat and he gets money out of it, but he doesn't think it would be a good investment i've talked to him but it doesn't seem to be working, the name would be either God's Grace or Everlasting Love because i'm a strong christian, it would have to be a used cat but a 2000 or newer would work so any ideas will be considered.
Old 29-06-2008, 21:00   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Otter View Post
<snip> . . . any ideas will be considered.
You're right . . . it would be a lot of fun for you, but your father's right, too . . . it's a terrible investment. Listen to your father.

TaoJones
Old 29-06-2008, 21:22   #3

thats because your a monohuller I do like your quote and sailing is my passion and god given gift, I feel god has ment me to sail and i'm trying to do as much as possible to fulfill this calling.
Old 30-06-2008, 08:28   #4

Boat: Privilege 39
It's not really question of being a multihull or a monohull - Boats are not an investment, they are a continually depreciating and expensive to maintain entity.
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 08:38   #5

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Little Otter,
Scotte is right. Look at the professional charter market. Take a look at the economy. Right now, vacations are a luxury. I expect a shake out in the charter market. Some people are going to be hurt that bought new boats that are chartered by the various charter companies. When the boats are not chartered the owner pays the loan not the charter company. Some members of this site have bought boats to charter and are having a difficult time. Have you checked out the cost of yacht insurance? Are you a certified captain? Have you checked out the cost of liabilty insurance for your captain's license? Look at old newspaper and magazine articles during the early 1970's, when the last jump in oil prices occurred. Please look and research before you leap.
John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 11:56   #6

Allow me to elaborate we already own several buildings in the family buisness and we are going to sell 2 of them before the economy gets worse. one building is worth $350,000 or more so I can use that to pay in full upfront and not have a loan. and the liscense question I don't but I have looked at the USCG rules and you must serve on a boat of the same or similar size for a year, so if we got the boat before I was 17 I could use it for a year then get my license and do crewed charters, also because of prices and the euro being worth roughly $3.17 american I have read that there are alot of europeans taking vacations in carribean because it is cheaper than to go on vacation in europe.
Old 30-06-2008, 11:59   #7

Boat: C&C 40
Send a message via AIM to ldrhawke
Quote:
thats because your a monohuller I do like your quote and sailing is my passion and god given gift, I feel god has ment me to sail and i'm trying to do as much as possible to fulfill this calling.

A boat is a big expensive toy. If God wanted you to sail he would have made you very broad and thin and given you pontoons for feet.......
ldrhawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 12:16   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Allow me to elaborate we already own several buildings in the family buisness and we are going to sell 2 of them before the economy gets worse. one building is worth $350,000 or more so I can use that to pay in full upfront and not have a loan. and the liscense question I don't but I have looked at the USCG rules and you must serve on a boat of the same or similar size for a year, so if we got the boat before I was 17 I could use it for a year then get my license and do crewed charters, also because of prices and the euro being worth roughly $3.17 american I have read that there are alot of europeans taking vacations in carribean because it is cheaper than to go on vacation in europe.
In reading your profile and several of your posts, Little, I come away with the following impression: You are probably even younger than your stated 16. My guess is that you're closer to 11 or 12, and you think you need to stretch it to 16 to gain credibility. If you are 16, then you are a very young 16.

That aside, if your father is going to sell one of his buildings for $350,000 and give you the money so you can pay cash for a vessel, then this country is worse off than even I think it is. It would be interesting if your father posted here, because I doubt he's aware of your CF posts.

And, finally, the present exchange rate for the Euro is $1.5745 as of just a few seconds ago.

TaoJones
Old 30-06-2008, 12:32   #9

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Ouch. But spot on Tao

JOHN
Old 30-06-2008, 12:54   #10

Wink

Tao I am the stated 16 years old I was born may 8th 1992 currently have an 85 F-150 for a car. I know that my dad would not just hand me the money for a boat justbecause I asked him for it, he wants evidence that a boat is good for the family buisness ( this way I get the boat and he gets money) which is one reason I am asking for help. so far I have gotten to the point of he is actually listening to me before saying anything,which isn't very far but its a start and as for being a young 16 yearold what might explain it is that i'm in MCJROTC at NFHS,( we haven't been declared the most sane people)
Old 30-06-2008, 13:36   #11
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Little Otter,

What you're proposing to your Dad is that he invest in a business that you would run. If you expect him to give it any serious consideration, you need to have a business plan. The core of a business plan is a realistic "pro forma" financial statement that lists all of the costs of running that business, and the revenues that you could reasonably expect to bring in.

Other than the initial purchase price, you'll need to estimate ongoing operating costs and maintenance costs. Maintenance costs will be particularly difficult to estimate for a boat that's been in charter service for a number of years. You will likely have to replace and upgrade equipment, rigging and fittings. Revenue will be equally hard to estimate, because you will not have the marketing power of The Moorings, or Sunsail behind your business. And you'll likely have local competition that will be going after the same customers you would like to have. You'll need to have working capital to pay current expenses when you don't have the revenues to cover them.

If you can come up with a detailed business plan, thoroughly analyzing all the variables involved, with pro formas that cover best, likely, and worst case senarios, your father will be impressed, I'm sure. But before plunking down several hundred thousand for the boat, and maybe another hundred thousand for startup and working capital needs, he will want to see the "bottom line". What return on investment can he expect? How does that ROI compare with other opportunities he might have for investing that much capital?

It's unfair for you to expect your Dad to just write you a check. You need to be capable and willing to do the work to make a convincing business case for a satisfactory return on his investment capital.
Old 30-06-2008, 17:50   #12

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
OH........it's a poll.

Would I try to get someone to buy me a boat?

Hell Yea!

As long as it is free for me, then I would have one. Neato!

Right now I don't.

I am, however first on the list of members here to receive a free cruising cat when one comes along.

Thanks.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 18:49   #13

This beauty would be perfect for the charter market. You could charge $5 /passenger which would include a free photo. I'm sure there's a huge market potential of pet owners who wouldn't think twice about forking over $5 for their very own photo of their pet hamster skippering a sailing catamaran. I doubt it would take more than a week to fully book the entire summer. She's a gorgeous boat with a healthy lwl of 39" and a comfortable 11" beam. She performs well under sail or power. Sure to be a pleasing ride for any pet Hamster....

I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 18:58   #14

Boat: Beneteau 36.7
I voted NO. Having earnt my own boat it is a different beast to what it would be if daddy had bought it. I wouldn't not get the same satisfaction, nor the same fear.

So - what you are asking from your pops would mean you miss out on many of the points in life that make it your own. In the meantime perhaps get him to invest in some oldy but goldy with a plan to buy it off him over some years while you get through college [by which time you may have completely changed your mind anyway]. Do it up and sell it for a profit having learnt how to dismantle a head and grease a rudder post along the way.

Someone out there once said its not the destination its the journey.

Aussiesuede - you almost made me change my mind - sleak indeed!
theonecalledtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 19:07   #15

Hud3 my computer was acting up but you are almost right. First this family buisness already exists, now what i'm saying is we get a boat and register it with our company, (that way I get a boat and the company gets money) and use a charter company like you would a realestate agent to have something rented out. If we get it before I turn 17 I can use it for the year and then get my captains license when i'm 18, then when the contract was over we could sign another contract but as a crewed charter and get more money or we could pull it from the company and do everything ourselves, thats what i'm proposing.