Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-07-2015, 21:36   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII
Hey Comanche - This is how you do it

The 105′ trimaran Lending Club has just simply smashed the Los Angeles to Honolulu elapsed time record, finishing today in 3 days 18 hours, erasing a full day off the previous record. As a comparison, Wild Oats Xi that beat Comanche is Syd to Hobart is estimated now to have an elapsed time of 7 and a bit days. Lending club wasn't actually racing in the TRanspac, but left around the same time ( a little later) as the fleet) Apparently Lending club is much faster than the boat that beat the worlds fastest boat.

Now that is a fast boat Mr Clark

Old 20-07-2015, 22:28   #2

Boat: Luders 36
Re: Hey Comanche - This is how you do it

Ok, second Comanche bashing thread - for no real reason.

First let's clarify lending club.

She left earlier than fleet to break to course record, rather than the race record. She did it I grand style - congrats! She is a tri not a mono hull. Not sure who here thinks that a mono of similar length is ever going to beat a tri (when we are talking similar machines at least - obviously not a Lagoon again against TP 52).

Second - what is Comanche?

Every one keeps quoting a newspaper article stating Comanche was built to be the "fastest boat". Not so. Comanche was built specifically to break mono-hull crew powered records. Both miles over time, which she has achieved, and course records, which I at least believe she will. There are separate records for classes of boat. Lending tree and Comanche are not after the same records.

There are way faster boats out there of course, faster than lending tree too. Ac72s routinely hit near 50, speciality short course boats are near 60. You can do it for a few thousands bucks on a foiling kite board!!!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 20-07-2015, 22:36   #3

Boat: csy 44 tall rig.

Oranges V apples....
Old 20-07-2015, 22:49   #4

None the less a very quick boat, nice to see!
Old 20-07-2015, 23:57   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Good to have set the record, but I'd have liked to have seen them in the race with Wild Oats.
Old 21-07-2015, 03:33   #6

.......nevertheless, I see Wild Oats IX is pulling away from the racing GB66's.
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 06:18   #7
Marine Service Provider

I would hope so, it (Oats) is 100 foot custom design race boat with a professional crew, the Gunboats, as exotic as they are, are production boats 60 foot long with owner crews. You could buy a GB for less than the mast and sail wardrobe on Oats.
Old 21-07-2015, 09:13   #8

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40

Really how pathetic is Lending Club, sailing when they wanted rather than starting in the race.

In the other thread there's a boo hoo hoo about multis not being allowed in the S2H and here's a multi opting out of a race that they are allowed to enter for a "record".

Wild Oats XI has set the S2H record at least twice and they did it by accepting the luck of the draw when it comes to weather. You don't see Oatly or Clarke spitting the dummy and pulling out of a race because of an unfavourable forecast.

Men race mono's and cry babies race Tri's.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 21-07-2015, 14:14   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Keeping it classy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wind View Post
.......nevertheless, I see Wild Oats IX is pulling away from the racing GB66's.
some talented navigators in the northern fleet lets see how the decisions to go so far north plays out.

I would not count the gunboat’s out just yet Chim Chim came out of the boat yard missing a couple thousand pounds and bathtub. Phaedo is faster than ever and Extreme H20 is just spreading it’s wings
Old 21-07-2015, 16:15   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Really how pathetic is Lending Club, sailing when they wanted rather than starting in the race.

In the other thread there's a boo hoo hoo about multis not being allowed in the S2H and here's a multi opting out of a race that they are allowed to enter for a "record".

Wild Oats XI has set the S2H record at least twice and they did it by accepting the luck of the draw when it comes to weather. You don't see Oatly or Clarke spitting the dummy and pulling out of a race because of an unfavourable forecast.

Actually, Wild Oats holds the RACE record for Sydney to Hobart, but has never held the official passage speed record.

Because it's a MOTORSAILER.

There would be no point them trying for a speed record, because MOTORSAILERS can't hold them.

If they were real men, they'd switch the 200hp diesel off for a while and SAIL the f***ing thing.
Old 21-07-2015, 16:25   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
You have never been on a big fast tri have you mate. In fact I suspect by that comment you haven't been on anything doing better than 20 knots. Lets see the size of your gonads then pal. Any boat mono or multi at decent speeds requires intestinal fortitude and a bit of commitment to drive hard and fast for a long time. Have a go on a really quick boat and get back to us will you.
Old 21-07-2015, 16:46   #12

Boat: 38' Crowther Windspeed

I really do get sick of posts like this. I have sailed Multihulls for over 50 years so I went through the period where the monohullers all put us down but just because things have changed doesn't mean that Multihullers should put down Monohulls. The only post on here worth reading is by Jman, at least he knows what he is talking about unlike some other comments. Why don't we all try to grow up and just enjoy the ride without trying to belittle someone else's achievements. There are exceptional boats from both sides and it's always easy to say mine is bigger than yours, that is only true if they are side by side in identical conditions and conditions can change even in the one race so luck and skill come into it as well. Get out there and enjoy yourselves
Old 21-07-2015, 16:46   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekatlrg View Post
Keeping it classy!

some talented navigators in the northern fleet lets see how the decisions to go so far north plays out.

I would not count the gunboat’s out just yet Chim Chim came out of the boat yard missing a couple thousand pounds and bathtub. Phaedo is faster than ever and Extreme H20 is just spreading it’s wings
I'd love to see the Gunboats beat Wild Oats XI ! Don't expect it to happen though, but still - the fastest mono motorsailer in the world beaten by a production cruising catamaran. How cool would that be? How embarrassing for Wild Oats?
Old 21-07-2015, 16:54   #14

Boat: Luders 36

Quote:

Again lending tree is sponsor owned boat, that only makes headlines, which is how the sponsors get their perceived value - when she is setting records!

Leaving a day and half later looks like (at least based on other projected elapsed times) she would have achieved neither.

Old 21-07-2015, 17:12   #15

Boat: Bristol 29

But what's the best anchor for a racing sailboat. Is it different for Cats, Tris and Monos? And shouldn't they have guns on board? After all, LA is a pretty dangerous place.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: