Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2013, 09:08   #16
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
$106K for a 42' cat with lots of new stuff is a deal. I wouldn't walk away. Get it put back together and it's worth 50K to 100K more.
I think it would be a nice boat for the money if that's the type boat you want. I really appreciate strip plank construction as does George I believe, but I believe we are in the minority. Not a lot of buyers out there that want a wood cored boat. Once fixed and at the selling point of $150-$200 there is a lot of fiberglass competition. Great boat for someone who is handy and that's the type boat they want. Not so great in my opinion as an investment.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 09:20   #17

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Heres a Real Deal

I think the strip planked boats can be a good value mainly because people gravitate to the major manufacturers. And most of these one offs are epoxy built so blisters and osmosis should be less of an issue. Some Chris White boats were built this way. Good enough for him is good enough for me.
Old 28-02-2013, 09:23   #18
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I think the strip planked boats can be a good value mainly because people gravitate to the major manufacturers. And most of these one offs are epoxy built so blisters and osmosis should be less of an issue. Some Chris White boats were built this way. Good enough for him is good enough for me.
I agree. I would much rather own a strip plank boat than a balsa cored production model.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 09:34   #19

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I agree. I would much rather own a strip plank boat than a balsa cored production model.
Well let's be fair. Production models have things like professionally installed windows that open and close, comfortable seating with chrome and wood trim, etc.

Hull troubles is bad no matter what your construction. If there were a hull design that was light, flexible, and impervious to rot, then there would only be one hull design on all catamarans, production or not.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 10:27   #20

It may be worth 50K more than the 106K cost(but not 100k!) but when you factor in the Insurance cost and possible hassle for a once wrecked near 20yo wood boat it becomes more problematic. and I would have to Insure it as I cant handle losing 106K,
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote