Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2007, 08:00   #1

Boat: 1977 Kelly Peterson 44
Here's a question for the cat crowd

Okay first off I'll admit that I'm a slow, heeling, mono sailor. I've always considered myself a bit of a traditionalist. BUT I must also admit that I'm very seriously contemplating trading one hull for 2. If I went with a cat it would probably be under 42', and priced under 200K (so you now have a pretty good idea of what I'm looking at in the way of boats). Now comes my big question. I can't count all the pictures & videos I've seen of monos of all descriptions charging through huge seas, the stories of riding out gales, the roundings of the horn in 20' breaking seas, the advertisers love to show their boats blasting through big seas on a closehauled beat. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of a cruising cat (other that full race rigs) doing anything other than a broad reach in calm seas. All the logs I've read seem to tell of fair winds and calm seas the world over! I want to see pics of a cruising cat in 15-20' breaking seas and hear the skipper's impressions. I know they can and have done it but I want proof! Where are the images, videos, and stories???? Has no one else noticed this?
sundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 08:27   #2

You and I are on our way to discovery of a new world. There are notable examples of offshore experiences in Cats (Robin Knox Johnson sailing through force 12 winds) but I like you am interested in hearing personal accounts of others. My wife and I are contemplating a catamaran for our circumnavigation so it is very serious to us. I have been researching this matter for the last six months and I am excited to have opportunities to sail cats in the next few months (including an offshore trip in a Broadblue). This information will help us shape our decision.
libellula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 08:34   #3

Even smaller

SD: Add to your wish list 5 -15' seas that would be more prevalent.
I always hear the statements about meals & adult beverages not sliding off tables............and having been on Cats in bumpy water I wanna know what type of crazy glue they use.
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 12:55   #4

Go here and check the warp speed video:

Welcoming to Maxing Out
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 14:10   #5

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
Go here and check the warp speed video:

Welcoming to Maxing Out
Except that was down wind.

He specifically asked for a beat to windward. Probably having a lee shore in mind too.

I did read almost every word of Katiekat's adventures though.
Welcome to Siudzinski KatieKat
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 14:23   #6

Uh, no, Therapy - he didn't say that. He said he had seen pictures and videos of monohulls doing that. He asked for: "I want to see pics of a cruising cat in 15-20' breaking seas and hear the skipper's impressions."

The seas in the video aren't exactly breaking, but the corresonding logs describe winds up to 40 kts with 20' seas and sea anchors to slow the boat down. Yes, it's downwind - sorry, best I can do. I'm a long time monohull guy, and I've never sailed one that would be tame downwind in those conditions - well, actually it is kind of fun for awhile.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 14:33   #7

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Whatever.........................
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 17:37   #8

Boat: Lagoon 37
the best real experience is 10-15 foot seas with 20-25 knts of wind. They were just past the beam a bit. And we were surfing at 13 knts. We were still under full sails and having a blast. And no, **** was not going every where. The glasses really did stay put on the table! We also have been in 15 footers on the nose that would stop us dead and the whole boat would shutter when the bows would hit the next wave. Not a fun ride at all!!!!!!!!!!! We did lose a tv once that was not tied down and it fell over when we smashed into the next wave. It is now tied down
So for your question, yes we sail in moderate seas, but try to avoid large seas if there is a choice. But catamarans do maitain thier comfort level even in moderate seas, except when they are dead on the nose
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 17:48   #9
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Do all you guys sail catamarans? I didn't realize there were so many of us on here.

There's a range of answers to windward progress in high winds/seas. With mini keels or multichine hulls I don't believe you're going to make progress like a mono. Even under power I've been stopped cold in 60 knot winds because of wind resistance. With a Cat with dagger boards, you'll do much better, but you'll have to stay wide awake for other reasons.

Now I would like to speak for myself and say that if there were 20' breaking seas, I'd be in a slip somewhere with a scotch and water in my hand as any small craft is going to take a beating in those conditions. I'm sure the boat could handle it fine, but I'm sure I wouldn't want to.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 18:19   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post
Do all you guys sail catamarans? I didn't realize there were so many of us on here.
Now I would like to speak for myself and say that if there were 20' breaking seas, I'd be in a slip somewhere with a scotch and water in my hand as any small craft is going to take a beating in those conditions. I'm sure the boat could handle it fine, but I'm sure I wouldn't want to.
could not say it better myself
Old 01-09-2007, 02:10   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post

I agree excatly, who are all these masochists who want to suffer those conditions, I thought sailing was supposed to be fun and relaxing.
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:02   #12

Boat: Lagoon 620
Send a message via Skype™ to Mustang Sally
getting sick of these questions

All these monohullers that keep bring these questions up...... i don't think you should ever consider a cat, just please stay with what you have.
Mustang Sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:40   #13

the real truth is that we never sail in anything other than flat seas, anything larger than a foot or two, we may turtle, because we are so slow going into the wind that we have too keep the seas on the beam, remember we can't sail any higher than 85 degrees off the wind while the biggest problem is the wake from the monos sailing past us at 5 degrees off the wind
Old 01-09-2007, 05:22   #14

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Read the book "Sailing Promise." A young couple circumnavigated on a 34' Prout. It's a good read and describes some rough weather segment.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:18   #15

Curiosity - not trying to kill the Cat

The thread was started with a serious question & expanded by a few others who are curious about how a Cat would handle & feel in various Ocean conditions especially since some are seriously considering buying one.

Yeah, the Maxing Out video is one example......but it is downwind with following seas. What about beam (strangest feeling to me) and windward were still open?

JusD - honest & helpful.....

R505 - honest & smart

MSally - guess that shoe does not feel as comfy on the other foot. Huh Mon?

Thought it was just sailors looking for / exchanging helpful info.
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote