Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2010, 22:22   #1

Help with Sail

I don't know what type of sail this is or how to fly it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	moretri 001.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	449.1 KB
ID:	17966

Name:	moretri 003.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	376.1 KB
ID:	17967

Name:	moretri 002.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	393.8 KB
ID:	17968

It has these two blocks and sheets in the sail bag.

I have a new to me 27 Searunner Tri

Thanks Will
taezow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 23:34   #2

It's a spinnaker, used for sailing downwind, flying out in front of the boat like a parachute. I see one edge with a red tape, the opposite tape is probably green. Simply stated, you attach the head of the sail (where the red/green tapes intersect) to a halyard exiting the front of the mast and you attach a sheet to each of the other corners, and you hoist the sail and catch the wind. You should also have a spinnaker pole to keep the windward corner of the sail fixed.

Obviously this is more complicated than other sails to fly and you definitely want to get some knowledgable help before you try it, and it's best not to try it at all in anything but very light air.

Try to get a basic text on sailing that covers spinnakers.

Welcome to CF and good luck!
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 03:28   #3

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by taezow View Post
I don't know what type of sail this is or how to fly it.
It has these two blocks and sheets in the sail bag.

I have a new to me 27 Searunner Tri

Thanks Will
Yes it's a spinnaker. (Speedoo is wrong on one point: Trimarans don't need spinnaker poles, as they have enough beam to keep the sail open when sheeted to the amas.) Not enough detail in the images to tell if it's an asymmetric or symmetric -- the corner with the sailmaker's label is the tack, so the edge leading up to the head from there would contain a luff rope or cable if it's asymmetric.

As to the purpose of the lines -- please post another image that shows more detail about the turning blocks and how they are attached to the two lines with blocks attached. They could be sheets, or they could be used to attach the lower corners if the sail is symmetrical.

You could have two separate sheets or one long mid-attached sheet, and those would lead outside your shrouds to turning blocks on the aft portion of the amas, then lead into the cockpit optionally through cleats or stoppers, then to a cockpit coming winch used to adjust the sail under load. The head is attached to a separate spinnaker halyard that exits the front of the mast above the genoa halyard.

If symmetrical the two lines with blocks could be downhauls to attach to the clews and each one would attach at an ama bow with turning blocks leading aft then another turning block leading to the main hull and cockpit. If asymmetric the sail will have only one tack and one clew -- the two lines with blocks could be your sheets.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote