Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2017, 20:22   #1

Help with a new boat

I am purchasing a Leopard 46 next week in Tortola. I have sailing experience but not tons. The plan is to move on board the boat with the entire family in January 18' and really take our time learning the boat before venturing out.

My problem is I am heading down there next week to prepare the boat for hurricane storage. It will be on cradles with straps so I know the boat will be OK but I really need help with some of the details like taking down large sails. Any opinions on other items would also help. Do I need to take off the solar panels? Do I need to drain the fuel tanks? The list goes on and on.

I would be willing to hire a captain or other experienced professional for the day to help me out but have been unable to find anyone I trust.

Anyone out there gonna be in Tortola on July 7th want to make some cash?

I just don't want to go back to the boat in a couple of months and have problems with mildew, leaky toilets and algae in the fuel tanks.

Ideas?
Outsideworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 21:03   #2

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning
Re: Help with a new boat

Can't help you with first hand experience or advice but this is not a multihull specific question and you may get more replies in another part of this forum.

There is a product I've used to combat mold, its a tea tree extract that comes in a jar. Its expensive and aromatic and somewhat pleasant to me. I suppose some might find it mildly irksome but it disapates in a few days. I think people also use a dehumidifiers and maybe air conditioners.
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 00:28   #3

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Go to one of the smaller charter companies, I suggest TMM at Road Reef Marina on Tortola, and ask in the office for one of the guys to help you on their day off. There is always someone who wants the extra work and they are ALL used to preparing boats for hurricane season. I've done it myself a few times and it is a lot of work to do it properly and have the boat in good condition when you come back.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 07:42   #4

Thanks for the idea
Old 29-06-2017, 07:44   #5

ejlindahl
I was not sure where else to post? Also thought there may be some specifics on a cat that may be different on a monohull for prep.
Old 29-06-2017, 08:24   #6

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning

Out,

Maybe you're right, I took a quick look and didn't see anything real specific. Maybe: Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living.

But I like the idea of asking a charter co. employee to help. Their days labor and expertise might be a good investment.
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 08:32   #7

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

Other people with strong experience: boat mechanics and sailboat instructors. It is one thing to get help with de-masting, another to prepare a largish vessel for hurricane season. I would think that would take a full day with things going smoothly.
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 09:00   #8

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

It is not real complicated. Basic prep is remove anything topside that can catch wind: sails, lines, grill, solar panels, Bimini, dodger, etc. Roller reefed headsails and covered mainsails are really not secure enough. Storing below decks is far better. Tie off and shock cord your halyards so they do not slap in the wind. Heavy winds can work anything loose. That done, it's just a matter of securing below decks for 6 months on the hard. In your area I might want to leave a dehumidifier on if I have power to my charger. Of course, if no power, make sure all items are off. Even small drains like a battery monitor can run you down over time. To be extra safe you could disconnect all positive leads.
Freezing is not an issue for you but I would pump the head dry to avoid any deposits as water evaporates.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 09:52   #9

Where is the boat going to be stored on the hard? Tortola or are you going to bring it to Puerto Rico like a lot of people do? If it's the latter I can give you some names of good trustworthy and knowledge people
rajsach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 09:56   #10

Boat: 1973 GULFSTAR 41 CENTER COCKPIT

Dave22q got it right. Everything goes below, but leave the mast up. Sometimes the main sail and the boom can be removed as a unit. This may save some time and effort. Pull hoses on some through hulls and leave them open, so that if water does get in, it has a way to get out. If heavy ratchet straps and trailer tie downs are available, they will assure that your boat does not move in a direct hit.
CHRIS V CLEMENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 16:45   #11

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't the main sail be ok staying on the boom if the boom had preventers tied off both aft port and starboard? I see lots of boats that keep the sail on the boom. Seems like a lot of work for a new captain.
Thalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 17:01   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalas View Post
Out of curiosity, why wouldn't the main sail be ok staying on the boom if the boom had preventers tied off both aft port and starboard? I see lots of boats that keep the sail on the boom. Seems like a lot of work for a new captain.
One word: Windage!

Additional thought: What is likely to happen to the sail when the wind manages to catch under part it? (Hint - take a look at the shredded sails in photos of hurricane aftermaths in marinas)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 20:16   #13

Thank for the suggestions. Boat will be stored in Tortola as past owner already has the yard and hurricane cradles paid thru October.

I have emailed four or five different local companies with suggestions on where to find a helper but no luck as of yet.

I have taken down sails on much smaller boats but nothing as large as this boat.

I am going to get more instruction this Fall before we head off but dang it is hard just to get the boat stored for the season. Seems like there would be tons of captains this time of year wanting to make a few bucks but no takers. I hate to just walk the docks when I get there as I have no idea what I might end up with.
Old 29-06-2017, 22:17   #14

Its easy really, it just takes a while. Drop all of the luff slides off the mast and take the mainsail off the rig. Take all off the battens out of the mainsail and flake/brick it up like you would with any sail then put in inside, make sure its really dry though to stop any mould/mildew. When recommissioning time comes it may take a day to get to back on the rig but well worth it.
If your headsail is roller furling take that off too. Do the same as with the main. Lower, fold and stow.
vorpal blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 03:30   #15

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsideworld View Post
I have emailed four or five different local companies with suggestions on where to find a helper but no luck as of yet.

I hate to just walk the docks when I get there as I have no idea what I might end up with.
Unfortunately that's probably what you'll have to do. email is not likely to work as the companies don't want their staff committed when they might want them themselves at short notice.

You'll have to walk the docks with Dollars in hand just a day or two before you want to get the job done. I know you probably want to have things organised before you head down there but that's not the way it works down in the islands.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat